About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Bear creek soup

11:05 a.m. on April 22, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

I have recently found bear creek dehydrated vegetable beef beef flavored soup. No I didnt type that twice by accident thats the name of it. basically the same as any other camping food in a bag, but this one is cheap. It was three dollars and change, plus it makes eight cups. I havent tried it yet, and was wondering if anyone else has tried it. Im goin on a nite hike in a couple of days, ill cook half of it and let you guys know how it tastes. Maybe they have a whole line of dried foods cheap. If so look out mountain house, your overpriced meals might be getting replaced.

Mark

11:09 a.m. on April 22, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

I dont know why I didnt google it first. They have a huge line of soups. I also found a bunch of pasta dishes they are just releasing. I hope its good then we will have another low cost option for the woods. Mark

12:10 p.m. on April 22, 2012 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
1,045 forum posts

I've used Bear creek Soups. But I broke down the package to smaller portions. they are tasty and rather inexpensive. I think you'll like them hotdogman.

3:16 p.m. on April 22, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

I like Bear Creek products, our local Wally-world carries several of their products.

I especially like the Potato Soup & Chili.

I do take these backpacking, they are cheaper, but it is not the same as MH or other brands of backpackers freeze dried meals in that the meals like Bear Creek require you to bring water to a boil and then simmer the meal for 20 - 25 minutes.

The freeze dried meals made for backpackers are already cooked and you only need to bring water to a boil, shut the stove down, and let the meal re-hydrate in it's pouch.

So the difference between meals like Bear Creek & backpackers freeze dried (Mountain House - Backpackers Pantry - Alpine Aire - Hawk VittleS) is in the amount of fuel used (remember you have to buy and carry the fuel), and the prep / cook time VS. the added expense (and fuel savings) of true backpackers meals.

One thing many people do to get around this is to pre-cook meals at home, dehydrate them in a dehydrator and then package them in meal size portions for the trail.

I do this for about half my food because the older I get the less my gut seems to like freeze dried meals.

For a better tasting source of backpacker meals try Hawk VittleS.

Mike G.

5:44 a.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
2,221 forum posts

trouthunter said:

.. meals like Bear Creek require you to bring water to a boil and then simmer the meal for 20 - 25 minutes...

You can reduce gas consumption following one or more of the techniques below:

• Use a stove that will maintain a candle flame.  It requires very little heat to maintain a simmer.  A twenty minute candle flame uses very little fuel.
  • If you don't have a simmering stove, consider using a candle.  Candles with thicker wicks will generate a larger flame.
  • Presoak the soup.  The long simmer time is required to re-hydrate and cook the dried peas, carrots, potatoes, and rice.  Several hours cold soaking will accomplish the re-hydrating, at which point the soup only need be raised to a boil and it is ready.
  • Once a boil is reached, transfer the soup to an insulated vessel.  A cozy made of blue foam lined with foil will transform any cooking pot into an insulated vessel.  Combine this with a candle by omitting the bottom to the cozy, so the candle can heat the pot bottom.  

Ed 

1:44 p.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

hotdogman said:

I have recently found bear creek dehydrated vegetable beef beef flavored soup. No I didnt type that twice by accident thats the name of it. basically the same as any other camping food in a bag, but this one is cheap. It was three dollars and change, plus it makes eight cups. I havent tried it yet, and was wondering if anyone else has tried it. Im goin on a nite hike in a couple of days, ill cook half of it and let you guys know how it tastes. Maybe they have a whole line of dried foods cheap. If so look out mountain house, your overpriced meals might be getting replaced.

Mark

What is the weight vs calorie comparison ?

1:59 p.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
1,045 forum posts

Callahan said:

hotdogman said:

Mark

What is the weight vs calorie comparison ?

depends on the soup. Potato is 150 calories for a 1/4 cup.  Theres 11oz per package. 8 servings.

2:54 p.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

whomeworry said:

trouthunter said:

.. meals like Bear Creek require you to bring water to a boil and then simmer the meal for 20 - 25 minutes...

You can reduce gas consumption following one or more of the techniques below:

• Use a stove that will maintain a candle flame.  It requires very little heat to maintain a simmer.  A twenty minute candle flame uses very little fuel.
  • If you don't have a simmering stove, consider using a candle.  Candles with thicker wicks will generate a larger flame.
  • Presoak the soup.  The long simmer time is required to re-hydrate and cook the dried peas, carrots, potatoes, and rice.  Several hours cold soaking will accomplish the re-hydrating, at which point the soup only need be raised to a boil and it is ready.
  • Once a boil is reached, transfer the soup to an insulated vessel.  A cozy made of blue foam lined with foil will transform any cooking pot into an insulated vessel.  Combine this with a candle by omitting the bottom to the cozy, so the candle can heat the pot bottom.  

Ed 

Yes you are right Ed, I should have mentioned that.

I often use the pre-soak & cozy methods.

Thanks for throwing that in, and I like the candle suggestion, I'll try that next time.

Mike G.

8:10 p.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

My JetBoil would be perfect for the candle/cozy method.  Just need to make a stand.

10:12 a.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,679 reviewer rep
1,137 forum posts

I use this soup a lot, its yuymmy. 

Heed Ed's advice though, presoak it to get it to cook faster.  Something that isn't pretty much instant isn't worth the fuel to me unless I can let it simmer for free on a campfire or candle. 

Jeff

12:04 p.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

MH Beef Stew = 122calories per ounce

BC dehydrated vegetable beef beef flavored soup = 98calories per ounce

i.e. 20% less

11:34 p.m. on April 28, 2012 (EDT)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

I have used the Bear Creek soups several times, they are quite good.  Although I will often add something to them.  Like sausage to the chilly.  But they do make a BIG meal for one person.

It seems that some of you are saying to split them up before the trip.  How would one do this?  Just split it into 2 or 3 equal zip lock bags?  Would I need to vac pac then? 

Wolfman

12:10 a.m. on April 29, 2012 (EDT)
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Wolfman said:

I have used the Bear Creek soups several times, they are quite good.  Although I will often add something to them.  Like sausage to the chilly.  But they do make a BIG meal for one person.

It seems that some of you are saying to split them up before the trip.  How would one do this?  Just split it into 2 or 3 equal zip lock bags?  Would I need to vac pac then? 

Wolfman

Yep, that's what I do.

I split the store bought package into three separate meals in zip lock bags, for longer term storage you could vacuum pack but not needed for a trip coming up fairly soon I would think.

Two of the advantages to vacuum packing is less bulk and a tougher package, but zip locks will work just fine if that's what you have to work with. Sometimes I vacuum pack - sometimes I just zip lock.

I like to add sausage to my chilli too, you got to get it kickin - right?

...and again I like Ed's idea of simmering with a candle, I am going to try that out on my next trip. Presoaking works just fine, but the wait time is lengthy.

Mike G.

12:04 p.m. on April 29, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
27 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

ive used this stuff before to in the same way mentioned: making it into smaller portions. I also will eat it before it is done so I dont waste fuel.

-mg

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply