TD Sidewinder stove users out there?

3:30 p.m. on May 11, 2012 (EDT)
493 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

How many of you have a Tri Ti or Sidewinder Caldera Cone stove?

I have a Trail Designs Sidewinder stove (3 cup pot size) with the Inferno woodburning option.

It is very efficient in alky, wood and ESBIT mode. In fact in ESBIT mode I use 1/3 less fuel than I did with my best efforts at making a good ESBIT stove.

10:27 p.m. on May 11, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,495 forum posts

300winmag,

I do not own a Caldera Cone & stove.

I have used a buddies on several occasions and I agree they are very efficient.

I am not sure which set up he had...we just used alcohol.

I think the cone windscreen / potholder combo is one of the best weight & efficiency designs going.

I have found that an inefficient alky stove setup can burn a lot of alcohol that could be saved, and if you continue to carry that much alcohol you're better off with a Sit on Top Canister stove.

Alky stoves are so susceptable to wind that you really have to fine tune the set up. I think the Caldera Cone does that.

Mike G.

10:33 p.m. on May 11, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,247 reviewer rep
614 forum posts

I know nothing about alcohol stoves! I would love if someone could put up a 'alky stoves 101' pics, or better yet, movie. Go over some of the basics- set-up, positives, negatives to them, etc. Its something I'm interested in learning about.

2:21 a.m. on May 12, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

There are dozens of alcohol stove videos on YouTube. Sites like Zenstoves, Sgt. Rock's site and Jason Klass's sites have videos or pictures with instructions. Just use Google to find these sites and many more.

Lightweight backpacking sites like The Lightweight Backpacker or Backpacking Light and other UL sites have articles and forums with dozens, if not hundreds of posts about alcohol stove.

5:25 p.m. on July 6, 2012 (EDT)
493 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

ALKY STOVES AND CALDERA CONES

Trail Designs own alky stove is the result of much experimentation to get the optimal alky stove for all altitudes (probably sea level to 14,000 ft.).  I was unaware that different alky stoves handle altitude differently but evidently they do.

Call or e-mail TD and ask them what other alky stoves also work well in their cones. I think the adjustable Feather stove may be one of them. You just need to find a way to get the adjusting handle outside the cone.

Personally I like ESBIT fuel, especially with TD's "Gram Cracker"  tablet holder, which optimizes burning. And the small (3 cup pot) Sidewinder cone I have makes it VERY efficient. In my experience  FireLite fuel tablets seem to burn a bit hotter than ESBIT tabs.

October 21, 2014
Quick Reply