Opinions on 2 cook sets? (The Clymb)

1:48 p.m. on May 27, 2012 (EDT)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

Hi all, it's been a very busy couple of weeks sense I got back from my WCT trip.  I ended up working nights all week and had very little time to write, let a lone sleep.  But I promise the Trip report is coming soon!!

Now on to the subject of this post.  I think I am now a Alcohol Stove convert, but I wanted a little better set up then my home made stuff.  Although I think I will keep working on home made stoves for fun and camping. 

The Clymb had two systems that are on "sale" for alcohol / Esbit stove and pot systems.  I was hopping that some of you may have used or heard about these two sets and could recommend one over the other or whether either was worth the money.   Because they are on The Clymb, time is of the essence.

System A:  $59.98  Esbit Cookset with Alcohol Burner

grid-059d6ef561cc4019cf2ca22c827c20bd0b1

This is a bigger kit and I could use it for not only myself but when one or both of my kids come with me.  It also looks to be a more complete system with more bells and whistles.

System B:  $29.98  Esbit Alcohol Burner and Trekking Cookset

grid-abbe5d5f8c1a57f1df3747787f99a55dffb

This is a smaller set and would be great for solo camping and possibility with my son, maybe, one could always cook two meals.

As always, thanks for any thoughts and opinions on either of these or a possible third solution.

Wolfman

3:12 p.m. on May 27, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,071 forum posts

I have always been a one cook pot cook. I use a MSR 1 quart cook pot with a MSR Pocket Rocket stove and fuel canister. I like the fact that the lid on the pot seals with a mason jar like seal. Often I don't finish a full meal so the sealable lid allows me to leave the leftovers in the pot till the next meal.

9:29 p.m. on May 27, 2012 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I've got 3 Alcohol stoves.

Esbit, Trangia, and Alcos

I think the Esbit and Alcos are the same. And I have had problems with both them. In the manufacturing they didn't clean them at all. After 4-5 (15-20 days) trips they where still burning the grease  out and the jets would clog up. The alcohol stored in them turns cloudy. Plus the O ring will fall out. Though nether have leaked. One just has to be careful not to lose it. Now on the plus side I do like the little handle on the simmer ring.

As for the stand and pots and pans I have no idea. 

Now on to the sets you are looking at. The first one has some plastic lids? Though them away, as you would never use them in bear country. And the lid for the pot. Why? You have a skillet to use as a lid, less weight. As for the stand and screen, they look like they would work well.

The second set you will need to get a wind screen.

Like I said I think the weak point here is the stove itself.  

10:52 p.m. on May 27, 2012 (EDT)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

Mike thanks for the info on the stove.  I don't think the two plastic plates are Lids, although they may be also, the add calls them plates.  I am thinking about the larger set because of two real reasons.

1. The pots have heat exchangers and their are two different sizes, 1.8L and 2.3L

2.  The set has a "fry pan" and a separate lid, something I would use a lot.

Also the base looks better and more wind resistant.  OK so I guess that's 3 reasons. 

Mike, also did you ever try to clean the inside of the stove?  Like with lacquer thinner of something?

Wolfman

10:53 p.m. on May 27, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

I can't comment on the two systems you linked to Wolfman because I haven't tried them. The price is certainly cheap. Many stand alone stoves cost 20 - 30 $.

I would suggest you also look closely at the Caldera Cone system, as well as stand alone stoves where you supply your own pot and wind screen since these types of systems are more flexible.

Integrated systems with parts that fit together work as long as you have all the parts, if you loose anything or damage anything - not so good.

Here are a couple stand alone stoves I have:

IMG_0986.jpg

The stove on the left is a side burner and acts as it's own pot stand, the stove on the right is a top burner and uses a hardware cloth pot stand. You add your own windscreen & use what ever pot you wish.

Both of these stoves and the pot stand came from Minibulldesign dot com

Mike G.

11:46 p.m. on May 27, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

Wolfman,

While I have no experience YET with Alcohol stoves (will make one soon I hope), that first set is worth it just for the exchanger pots. Highly efficient and can be used on your other stoves for vastly improved efficiency. Get that set.

11:47 p.m. on May 27, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

Two exchanger pots of that size will usually run you $80 by themselves

11:57 p.m. on May 27, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

XterroBrando said:

Wolfman,

While I have no experience YET with Alcohol stoves (will make one soon I hope), that first set is worth it just for the exchanger pots. Highly efficient and can be used on your other stoves for vastly improved efficiency. Get that set.

You could also substitute another alky stove to use in that system as well I guess?

I did like the heat exchanger pots but the windscreen design in the two systems just looks lackluster to me, but I didn't design it or test it though.

Mike G.

12:00 a.m. on May 28, 2012 (EDT)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

Thanks Trouthunter, one of the issues I have currently is my pots are steel and fairly heavy for backpacking pots.  I thought that if the stove it's self was not that great or I wanted to experiment with self made stoves them the rest of it would be a decent system.   I like Minibulldesign and his designs and will probably try to copy some in the future.  :)

Xterro, that was just what I was thinking, yea they are not titanium, but heck they look like a great set of pots. 

12:17 a.m. on May 28, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

GaryPalmer said:

I have always been a one cook pot cook. I use a MSR 1 quart cook pot with a MSR Pocket Rocket stove and fuel canister. I like the fact that the lid on the pot seals with a mason jar like seal. Often I don't finish a full meal so the sealable lid allows me to leave the leftovers in the pot till the next meal.

I do agree with Gary,  one pot is more as it is less.  Does that sound convoluted enough ?

I do own three diferent stove/cooking systems

- MSR Pocket Rocket Backpacking Stove

- MSR SimmerLite Backpacking Stove

- Open Country Explorer 12 x 6 Grid

and one 3 vessel cooking set

- MSR Blacklite Gourmet Cookset

The most I do take is two stoves and two pots, but always lightweight and less bulk is the concern.

I often take less and can use only my mug as a pot on a little fire as the stove if I choose super light weight.

Depending on food choose is what may determine cooking requirements.

10:56 a.m. on May 28, 2012 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I also like the second set better. But there is a problem with an integrated system like this. Lets say you decide to go a little more UL for a trip and get a small ti cup to use. You get out there only to find out that the cup is smaller than the stand. Or, you are out with a large group and take a larger fry pan for bacon and eggs. Does the wind screen constrict the heat to much to the center of the fry pan? Or, what if you don't like the pots and pans? You might be stuck looking for some of the same size as the ones you didn't like. That limits you. Like a stereo, I like to be able to change out components.

I know my stand is stable using a small ti cup up to an eighteen inch fry pan. And the wind screen adjust to fit the pot/pan that I choose to take. This gives me more flexibility with out changing out my stove. One less thing to think about when getting ready for a trip.

As far as the stoves, it is my opinion that the Trangia is better built with tighter manufacturing controls. Will the Trangia fit into the Esbit or Alco stand? I did get a stand with the Alco stove, and yes the Trangia will fit. But I have to press it in.  

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply