Help in name of stove

9:30 a.m. on May 28, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

Happy Veterans/Memorial Day

Showing my age.....lol

I have a multi fuel stove from MSR that I got late 70's or early 80's.

It looks like a firefly but instead of a flexible fuel tube mine is metal with a twisted wire in side the tube. For cleaning the fuel tube. I think.

The other noticeable part is at the burner end. The pre-heated tube has a spring wraped around the pipe. It was for cleaning the tube from junk.

Any ideas of the name number of this stove and how to get parts for it.

Its been sitting for years. It worked great and the multi fuel was the a +.

Thanks for any help I may get

Remember what today is all about 

10:03 a.m. on May 28, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace greenmntman! Happy Memorial Day and let us not forget why we set the day aside, at least eat a hamburger in someone's honor!

We have a few members here who know a lot about the older stoves and I'm sure one of them can help you. The oldest stove I'm aware of is the Model 9 from 1973.

Here is a link to a timeline of products with photos:

http://cascadedesigns.com/Innovations

Just out of curiosity, do you have the original fuel pump - and if so what color is it?

MSR also has a discounted upgrade program for some older stoves & fuel pumps. If interested you can send in your older stove or pump and get a discount on a new one.

MSR also stocks a lot of parts for their stoves, you can contact them at:

E-mail: Cascade Designs Service Center
Tel: 1-800-531-9531
Fax: 1-800-583-7583
Address:
4225 Second Avenue South
Seattle, WA 98134 U.S.A.
Hours of operation:
Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m. Pacific Standard Time.

Here is a link to their website:

http://cascadedesigns.com/en/MSR  

I hope that helps some, Mike G.

10:37 a.m. on May 28, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

We'd need pics.  It could be either a G/K or a X-GK.  The coil around the generator is actually to keep the line from getting too hot.  It was dropped in later stove models.  I have two different models of the G/K and even in two colors of the three I have.  The 9 came out much earlier and the G does not loop over the burner.  The MF has a flat section of the generator where it goes over the burner.  Don't send your old pump to MSR, sell it on the bay or give it to a collector, MSR destroys those bits of history. :(  MSR may not have parts for the older stoves unfortunately, but if not destroyed, they stove may just need to be cleaned, there isn't much to them and the jets can be replaced or substituted from newer models.

Duane

3:01 p.m. on May 28, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

Thanks for your help.

The pump is yellow cap black pump.

Why do you ask?

3:03 p.m. on May 28, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

Very good point.

I will get some pic's up soon.

Thanks again for the help

3:15 p.m. on May 28, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

Just went to the site  that  trouthunter told me to look at.

The picture there looks like it. MSR 9. Also the little bit it wrote about it about the melting of snow and high altitude was one of the things I remember.

Now if that is it are there any spec's about taking it apart and cleaning it?

I could just start but I don't want to mess things up. I have a feeling that once I get started it may pop back into my head or not.

This stove has been to 22 countries and use in most.

Even the fuel tank is a little rough but I believe still good. It did leak in the past.

I will get pic's up soon 

3:48 p.m. on May 28, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

MSR-STOVE-1.jpg
MSR-4.jpg

MSR-2.jpg

3:49 p.m. on May 28, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

MSR-3.jpg

9:35 p.m. on May 29, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

That looks like a X-GK without its base, not a model 9.  The 9's "bell" has a scalloped edge, masonite type material for the base that was riveted on.   It also looks a little golden or yellow which would be the X-GK.  Check out Classic Camp Stoves in the Stove Reference section.  The yellow pump can be rebuilt, the bits in the end where the check valve is, are critical to its proper function, but can be worked around with different parts.  The tube sticking out from it is not important.

Duane

1:41 a.m. on May 30, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Duane is the expert, but it looks like a dead ringer for my XG-K which I bought in the mid 80's, except the bottom plate has been ripped off somehow. Mine's packed away, but if I remember right, it is welded or riveted on, so no idea why someone would take it off.

MSR may still have parts for it, at least they did a few years ago. The sparker broke off mine, but that thing never worked all that well anyway.

6:26 a.m. on May 30, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,297 forum posts

That is indeed a XGK stove, the parts kit currently available for sale has parts for the new ones as well as older styles. Though I would call cascadedesigns directly before purchasing to make sure it has what you need, or if they have something else they could send you. From my past dealings with them they are very helpful.

8:25 a.m. on May 30, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

I do have rivet's on the bottom that hang down about about 3/16 > 1/4"

I don't remember it having a bottom plate could have.

Also on the bottom is a T cock.

Looks like if you release/turn it this would allow you to remove the center guts of the burner.

I have to look and see if I could fine the wind shield.

Thanks for all the help

11:02 a.m. on May 30, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

That part in the bottom is also what held the bottom plate on.  Yours would have been aluminum.  Don't twist it or you will do damage, provided you could turn it.

Duane

11:44 a.m. on May 30, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

Thanks for the heads up.

You mention above ("Check out Classic Camp Stoves in the Stove Reference section.") I can't open the site, any ideas? 

1:10 p.m. on May 30, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

Yes, wait,  they have been having issues since last night.  Keep checking back there.  The best resource and pics of stoves for bping and camping.  It is worth checking out when able.

Duane

3:21 p.m. on July 4, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

long trail,best recommendation was cascade.if anybody would have it.

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply