About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

rei ability to simmer"unavailable"?

1:55 p.m. on July 4, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

can anybody offer any opinion on rei's stove rating category"ability to simmer" an "unavailable" rating?

2:35 p.m. on July 4, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

This seems fairly self explanatory but none the less I have not seen your example.

Any link to, ........ ,  to help see the difficulty of understanding ?

3:01 p.m. on July 4, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

they didnt have the stove available for testing?

3:02 p.m. on July 4, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

why dont you explain?you explanatory!

6:34 p.m. on July 5, 2012 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
2,221 forum posts

Which stove?  Several trailheads can provide you advise if you would cite the stove in question.

Ed

8:27 p.m. on July 5, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Yes as Ed just wrote, details from you will make this easy, please give your example of difficulty with details.  I will  gladly add assistance and advice from my experiences once I know what it is to assist with.

10:49 p.m. on July 10, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

evidently,not many people have done stove comparisons on REI's site,they have categories of subjective analysis ie.,pot stability,stove stability,ABILITY TO SIMMER.REI's rating scale denominations are:fair,good,excellent.no poor no unable.they will give you boiltimes for 1L,minutes at W.O.T.with 100g fuel.but marketing will not allow a poor rating regardless of performance.in the testing category of "ability to simmer".according to rei marketing if a stove has zero "ability to simmer"they wont give poor or unable its classified as"unavailable".i called REI and asked about their inability of a "poor"or any other classification to signify unable to perform.they told me there was a marketing screw-up.unavailable is not the same as unable,lets get the dictionary:measuring ability,if there is zero ability(unable)not (unavailable)dude i went to seventh grade.still not as stupid

10:58 p.m. on July 10, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

callahan,things sometimes arent as explanatory as they seem

11:07 p.m. on July 10, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

example

11:23 p.m. on July 10, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

no difficulty in understanding,difficulty in comprehending

11:24 p.m. on July 10, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

comprehension is 0% of the law

2:25 a.m. on July 11, 2012 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
2,221 forum posts

Again, if you would provide the name(s) of stove(s) assigned this status we may be able to tell you their actual potential to simmer; otherwise the "unavailable" status has no context for us to decode and provide you the actual capability of the stove(s) in question.

Ed

8:56 a.m. on July 11, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

Unk, from what you have written, and that you haven't responded with what  specific stove your are interested in, I surmise that you are frustrated with a problem or glitch in REI's product rating user interface. Is that correct? If that is not the case, I think some folks are willing to help if you can offer a bit more information. 

If the REI user interface and ratings system are the issue, it sounds like REI answered your question: That there is a glitch or error in how it was set up. I am not sure what else could be said if that is the case. Hopefully, now that they are aware of the issue they will be able to fix it. 

9:30 a.m. on July 11, 2012 (EDT)
486 reviewer rep
1,356 forum posts

Thing with an interface is it does not always fit exactly every common understanding of a word. Not a great big deal, really. And if they see that it is a glitch, or I might add a bad way in wrtiting the stove rating interface, perhaps it will be corrected in future. I would wait to rate if I felt I could not rate it appropriately.

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply