MSR Whisperlite International jets

10:17 p.m. on July 8, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

I just picked up a MSR Whisperlite international stove today and have been getting myself familiar with it.  I have a question that I wasn't able to figure out from looking at the documentation.  There are two jets that came with the stove; one that is already installed in the stove and a second that is in a little plastic bag that also has pump cap oil, a maintenance tool and an o-ring.  The jet in the bag has the letters "UK" on it.  I'm assuming that the letters on this jet mean that it is for burning kerosene and unleaded gas, but I'm not sure.  Can somebody please point me in the right direction?  Thanks.

(I was also unsure if this post would go in the gear section or the camp kitchen section ... sorry if I chose incorrectly)

2:43 a.m. on July 9, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Here is a link to the manual-

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves/simple-cooking/whisperlite-international-2012/product

The UG jet is for white gas and unleaded auto gas; the UK jet is for kerosene. Personally, I would never use unleaded gas-too volatile, too many unhealthy chemicals in it. I have an XGK which will burn anything and I would never use auto gas in it unless I was desperate and that's never happened. I have run methylated spirits (alcohol) in it, but that is "off label" and not recommended by MSR as I recall. The jets with my stove just say G or K.

7:11 a.m. on July 9, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

Thanks Tom. I appreciate the help. After reading your post I was able to find it in the documentation  ... would have been nice to see it before hand :-).

September 17, 2014
Quick Reply