Bemco Backpacker Oven

9:08 a.m. on July 19, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Hello everybody,

I just recieved the Bemco Backpacker Oven, as a birthday present.  I am very excited to give this bad boy a test run, before my trip that is just around the corner.  I am going to Yosemite and was looking forward to bring this oven with.

The reason for this post is to get other people's opinions on this unit, likes or dislikes, what to look out for, and any and all delicious recipes.

Thanks in advance.

Rambleon

9:19 a.m. on July 21, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

I like it... a lot. I put it through the rigors and it was wonderful. I had only one complaint. I found it a little small for some things but that was easily taken care of with a change to deeper pans. 

A lot of care went into the design and there is a pride of workmanship. Weight-wise it compares to the Outback Oven Plus 10 but the Outback Oven Ultralight is quite a bit lighter. I tend to yo-yo between the three depending on the trip. 

9:13 a.m. on July 23, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Thank you for your response.  I tested the unit last night for the first time and made pizza.  It was amazing!!!!! 

10:30 a.m. on July 24, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Here is a video from YouTube you (or others) may like.

I used to have a fold up stove similar to the Bemco, I can't remember who made it though. It worked very well, I mostly used it when I went with a group and we just camped in one spot for a couple days or so.

Mike G.

9:53 a.m. on July 25, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,371 reviewer rep
1,232 forum posts

Funny video. His man cave is first rate. I love the FUPA on the guy. 

This might be fun for car camping or horse packing but, unless you spend your entire backpacking trips cooking I don't think it will catch on.

6:48 p.m. on July 25, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

FromSagetoSnow said:

Funny video. His man cave is first rate. I love the FUPA on the guy. 

This might be fun for car camping or horse packing but, unless you spend your entire backpacking trips cooking I don't think it will catch on.

Yes, Shug is a professional entertainer & and excellent backpacker and makes some very funny and informative videos.

I don't bother with taking ovens much anymore unless someone else wants to carry one. I find that putting a piece of tin foil over my wind screen makes a pretty good oven on its own. The tin foil is the only extra piece of gear I have to carry.

Mike G.

September 17, 2014
Quick Reply