Dehydrated beer for the backcountry(well kinda.)

8:29 p.m. on September 10, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

So apparently you will soon be able to reconstitute a freshly brewed, frosty beverage on the trail, carbonation and all.

Here is the link:

http://equipped.outdoors.org/2012/09/dehydrated-beer-for-backcountry.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=blogs 

As The Most Interesting Man in the World says(Dos Equis.)

"Stay thirst my friends."

...I wonder if this will be offered in a 24pk. :p

3:25 p.m. on September 11, 2012 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,258 forum posts

Not a bad idea.  But why not avoid all the problems and just bring some strong hard liquor?

4:11 p.m. on September 11, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,247 reviewer rep
624 forum posts

Hahaha I like that rationale ppine!

5:04 p.m. on September 11, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Lol.

9:36 p.m. on September 11, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

I'm interested.  When they have dehydrated Kentucky bourbon I'll be even more interested!  And a good IPA too!

9:36 a.m. on September 12, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

People have been trying to make dehydrated beer for a very long time.  Perhaps we are on the verge of seeing it in our life times.  These are very special days.  Of course you could just throw a few cans in your pack, its just like carrying extra water, but yummier.

10:18 a.m. on September 12, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

ppine said:

Not a bad idea.  But why not avoid all the problems and just bring some strong hard liquor?

Why not avoid all the problems and not drink at all?! (sorry, I'm a teetotaler...)

10:34 a.m. on September 12, 2012 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

SACRILEGE!!!!!!!!!

NO WAY, NO HOW, AIN'T HAPPENING!

Sorry but this is just wrong. I admit it, I am the consumate beer snob, I wouldn't drink beer out of cans even when I was a teenager, so maybe my perspective is a bit warped, wouln't be the first time, but I shall not be maligning my backcountry microbrew experience with this spawn of Satin. :)

My idea of ruffing it beer wise is having to drink out of the bottle... instead of bringing my favorite beer glass or several, as it must be the appropriate glass for the style of beer!

Maybe this is why I seem to prefer Canoe trips these days, the cooler is always the first thing to go in... Don't get me wrong though, the beer needs to be removed and bought back up to proper cellaring temperature before consumption. All that "frosty mug" crap is for people that don't like the taste of beer.

Had a wonderful limited edition, Oak barrel aged Scottish Ale with me on this last recent trip to the ADK's

image.jpg

This along with my usual North Coast Brewing, Old Rasputin-Imperial Russian Stout & Smuttynose Robust Porter. Not a single concentrated/dehydrated abomination in sight.

Thanks Rick, put my on a tirade before 11 in the morning, and now I'm craving Scottish Ale.

10:45 a.m. on September 12, 2012 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

BigRed said:

Why not avoid all the problems and not drink at all?! (sorry, I'm a teetotaler...)

SACRILEGE!!!!!

LOL, sorry, couldn't help myself.

2:34 p.m. on September 12, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

I was once a teetotaler myself.  Then I was only an occasional beer consumer then I learned that beer saved the world!

http://vimeo.com/23278902 "How Beer Saved the World"

This is a legit documentary as far as I can tell.  I guess Guinness was right when they said "Guinness id Good for You"

4:39 p.m. on September 12, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

Sounds like a bunch of alcoholics to me!

something tells me that stuff would probably taste like CRAP!

real beer drinkers would never go for it.

of course I am not a beer drinker, so I wouldn't know...:P

2:11 p.m. on September 29, 2012 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Homer will be happy

3:47 p.m. on September 30, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

I would have to know what kinda chemical it was before I drank it. I pick up so many beer cans on my hikes in southern nh that I have dedicated an old ems duffle bag as my beer can\ trash bag. I all for anything that limits this. I prefer bourbon or canadian whiskey. I usually carry a half pint flask on my hikes. I dont drink it very often but after a near fall or on a sleepless night a couple of swallows help.

9:39 p.m. on September 30, 2012 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,200 forum posts

BigRed said:

ppine said:

Amen, brother. 

10:22 p.m. on October 1, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
468 reviewer rep
1,084 forum posts

It won't be as good as De Struise Eardmonk on tap! (Forgive me - total beer geek!) but I hold out some hope that it won't be bad.  I spoke to the inventor at OR, and the principles are sound.  He uses a spray-dried malt, a variety of dextrins, and some hop extracts. It could easily be better than some widely available macro-brews! Until I have a chance to sample, I'll stick to an airline bottle or two of bourbon, or if I'm traveling with an alcohol stove, I'm not opposed to using 200 proof Everclear as fuel and a digestif!

Honestly, I feel so easy, so at peace in the woods - I'll often forget the booze I've brought.

10:51 p.m. on October 1, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,506 forum posts

Maybe some should be made available for testing? :)

5:41 p.m. on October 7, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

still sound like a bunch of alchoholocs...I take some amaretto with me...:P great in coffee or just by itself. nothing like a hit or two after a hard day on the trail...!

November 28, 2014
Quick Reply