BRS 11 stove's First Trip

2:22 p.m. on November 19, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

The troop went about 30 miles north of Timonium to a very large private farm to learn and test orienteering skills. 3 Separate courses about 3 miles long. Friday night dropped into the teens and continued that way till almost noon, needless to say water bottles were solid in the the packs. The  32 oz pot(32oz) of water left on the dash of the truck was a firm slurpee texture and boiled in just under 5 minutes  with the BRS 11. The stove was kicked on about 50 times in that 1 1/2 day period with the ambient temp of of the stove being being white hot to starting frost again. The ignition worked 98%(Pot boiled over and every thing got wet) of the time and the stove worked 100% of the time. The stove was used by people 10 yrs. old to 42 yrs. old, with no burns or mishaps. This is the first trip but I'm very happy with the performance and safety of the stove(No kids burned and no food spilled!).

4:06 p.m. on November 19, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

sounds like a good experience. glad to hear the stove worked in freezing temps. canister stoves can be finniky in the cold. did you get a chance to invert the canister? I would think you did seeing how cold it was. How was its inverted cannister performance? am curious since I have a windpro 2 stove I have yet to test inverted.

4:27 p.m. on November 19, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Yes, I ran it inverted late friday/early saturday, it flared a little at first, but a small adjustment, and there was much more output with out the flaring. The stove has much more fine adjustment then I ever expected.

9:45 a.m. on November 20, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
813 reviewer rep
532 forum posts

Being able to invert the canister is a must as temps drop. That's great that it worked well.

10:26 a.m. on November 20, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

So far I'm smiling. I'm going to take it out this weekend with the family in PA at Gettysburg. My son has a nice metal detector he wants to try out and I love the battle fields. I have a Coleman single burner propane stove that will be helping out. I 'm just happy my wife actually wanted to go camping!!

1:54 p.m. on November 20, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

might find some old musket balls. good luck!

3:09 p.m. on November 21, 2012 (EST)
175 reviewer rep
35 forum posts

lanadwodny0921 said:

So far I'm smiling. I'm going to take it out this weekend with the family in PA at Gettysburg. My son has a nice metal detector he wants to try out and I love the battle fields. I have a Coleman single burner propane stove that will be helping out. I 'm just happy my wife actually wanted to go camping!!

I'm sure I missed something but just in case.

Metal detectors are strictly prohibited on park grounds. Relic hunting by the use of metal detectors or other means is prohibited and violators will be prosecuted.

Collecting of natural and cultural objects, including plants, animals, minerals, stones from walls, or other objects is strictly prohibited. NPS

7:12 p.m. on November 21, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

sounds like a big fat ticket...hope hes seen this!

7:15 p.m. on November 21, 2012 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
31 forum posts

Thanks for the update bro

8:17 a.m. on November 22, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Thanks, I was going to check at the park office. You saved me the lecture.

2:40 p.m. on December 27, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

I spent yesterday into today (Cut short by and emergency doctors visit for my wife) in Monkton, Md. Right next to a state park, an area not used in the winter, reserved for youth summer camp. By time my tent was set (around noon) there was about 2 inches of snow/ice on the ground. The mess continued all night till it turned to rain in the morning of the 12/27/12 creating a mess. Bottom line is my BRS11 continues to light with the piezo lighter and run in top form. Even with burst of 30+ miles an hour wind thru out the night. I had to dump the rain out of the stove on a couple of occasions but it still fired up and remained lit in the wind. This stove has been well worth the cost, I us an IMUSA 40oz grease pot to boil my water in for cooking and I get 4 minute  boil time average for 32 oz cold water. I'm thinking about ordering one of the Fire Maple stoves, they are supposed to be better built. I will let you know what happen's, so far I'm very happy with this one. This was also the first trip for my 0 degree sleeping bag. I had a damp chill thru out the night because of the rain/freezing rain/sleet but was not cold.

September 17, 2014
Quick Reply