BRS 11 Remote Cannister Stove in Rough Weather

1:27 p.m. on December 28, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

I spent yesterday into today (Cut short by and emergency doctors visit for my wife) in Monkton, Md. Right next to a state park, an area not used in the winter, reserved for youth summer camp. By time my tent was set (around noon) there was about 2 inches of snow/ice on the ground. The mess continued all night till it turned to rain in the morning of the 12/27/12 creating a mess. Bottom line is my BRS11 continues to light with the piezo lighter and run in top form. Even with burst of 30+ miles an hour wind thru out the night. I had to dump the rain out of the stove on a couple of occasions but it still fired up and remained lit in the wind. This stove has been well worth the cost, I us an IMUSA 40oz grease pot to boil my water in for cooking and I get 4 minute  boil time average for 32 oz cold water. I'm thinking about ordering one of the Fire Maple stoves, they are supposed to be better built. I will let you know what happen's, so far I'm very happy with this one. This was also the first trip for my 0 degree sleeping bag. I had a damp chill thru out the night because of the rain/freezing rain/sleet but was not cold.

4:46 p.m. on December 29, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

glad to see that stove is still going strong. now all you need is some snow camp time!

10:38 p.m. on December 29, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,478 forum posts

How about some photos of that stove when you get a chance?

Mike G.

12:01 p.m. on December 30, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Here is a stock photo and one next to the tent on the trip.
image.jpg
Photo217.jpg

4:37 p.m. on December 30, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,478 forum posts

Thanks for the photos, a nice looking stove!

The snow in your photo was a bonus for me, I live in coastal SC and we rarely have snow.

Mike G.

4:47 p.m. on December 30, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Mike, feel free to come up this way. We have a little we could probably spare. Or I could always overnight ya some in a cooler. :)

4:47 p.m. on December 31, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

come out to california. san jac has about one foot right now. snowshoing in the morning, surfing in the afternoon. did I mention its always 70? :P

11:45 a.m. on January 1, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

I don't think my body or brain would know what to do. It is still really crisp here but nothing falling. I spent a bout a year in San Diego at the Coast Guard Station and loved it. Good people and good food. There were soom real nice hill's right behind the hotel were I spent a good bit of time after work.

11:56 a.m. on January 1, 2013 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

We have well over 2ft here in the ridges. 

10:34 a.m. on January 2, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Our snow is all gone now. I just got laid off from work. I have been wanting to do the AT, now be the time. Ihave got nothing at home.

September 21, 2014
Quick Reply