The bean hole: It worked for me

8:51 p.m. on April 10, 2013 (EDT)
203 reviewer rep
26 forum posts

I'm sure some of y'all have tried this, but I thought I'd pass this along for the rest of you.

We were out backpacking with the troop, and decided to make monkey bread using a dutch oven recipe,  Not having a dutch oven in my pack, we turned a MSR backpacking pot into a dutch oven by digging a hole a bit larger than the pot. (inside an existing fire ring) Layering some coals in the bottom off the hole, putting in a layer of dirt, then the pot, and packing a mixture of coals, ash, and dirt around the pot.  A few coals on top and we had monkey bread in about 15 min.  I have always called these bean holes, and the scouts got a real kick out of the name. 

The next day we filled in the hole with the cold ash, spread the dirt over the area, and it was hard to tell we ever had a fire.

10:09 a.m. on April 11, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,165 forum posts

Mike,

Good execution.  People have been cooking this way for centuries.

11:06 p.m. on April 12, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,481 forum posts

Welcome Mike!

Great idea for places where it is appropriate and I'm glad to hear the scouts got to experience this.

Would you mind sharing the recipe for Monkey Bread?

Thanks, Mike G. (my name is mike too) Mikes rule haha.

8:50 a.m. on April 13, 2013 (EDT)
6 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Great idea, I'm going to use it this summer!

10:14 a.m. on April 13, 2013 (EDT)
203 reviewer rep
26 forum posts

Our recipe is pretty easy.  Biscuit dough, butter, cinnamon, and sugar.  Make the dough and roll it into 1-2 inch balls.  Roll the dough ball in a cinnamon/sugar mixture, then layer them into the buttered pot, add a pat or two of butter to the layer and start on the next one till done.  Leave about two dough ball's worth of space at the top to account for expansion.

For backpacking, we substitute Butter Buds for actual butter, and premix the butter, cinnamon, and sugar in a Ziploc.  Any extra gets sprinkled on top.  We also take the with the dry biscuit power in a Zipoc.

You can also use pre-made biscuit dough in the pop-open cans.  This works better for car camping, but you can do this on backpacking trips if you use them the first day of your trip, and don't mind packing out the extra material. 

Mike

6:36 p.m. on April 14, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

sounds yummy. I'll have to try that!

8:52 p.m. on April 14, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,481 forum posts

Thanks for that recipe and directions Mike!

September 22, 2014
Quick Reply