Amberlit Stove

3:44 p.m. on July 12, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,297 forum posts

Just found this wood burning foldable stove. Another interesting invention in camp cooking!

8:21 p.m. on July 14, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

now all you have to do is find the wood. an increasingly difficult task. and is becoming more illegal in certain parks. I'll keep my snowpeak.

11:02 p.m. on July 14, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
173 forum posts

I have an Emberlit and take it with me most of the time. When I am going out after it has been raining I do take a backup alky stove with me since finding dry wood can be a problem. It is the Companion Burner by Zelph that works with the Emberlit. I did have to drill 4 holes in the sides of the Emberlit so the stove can sit on two titanium stakes. Works like a charm

11:37 p.m. on July 14, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,252 forum posts

gary,

A great idea. Nearly anywhere in the outdoors there is enough fuel in the form of leaves, twigs, bark, and pine needles to run a little stove like that.  Low tech and it makes your stove fuel last a lot longer.

Stoves are costly to build and transport. Then you have the fuel production and cannister disposal problems.

Burning wood releases exactly the amount of carbon absorbed by the burned plant cellulose in its lifetime. Wood is carbon neutral.

6:47 p.m. on July 15, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,297 forum posts

Ewker, I tend to camp in wilderness areas where I hike many hours into the areas to camp where wood is everywhere, not like around public campground where the wood has been all picked up for miles around.

I have used a MSR Pocket Rocket stove myself for 12 years and other butane type stoves since the late 70s.

7:34 p.m. on July 15, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

He makes other titanium items too, of which I have his trowel.  Seems woodstove season is pretty short anymore.

Duane

1:55 a.m. on July 16, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,297 forum posts

What do you use the trowel for, burying your sh*t? I use a roack or stick to dig a hole. Less to carry.  I use rocks/stones to pound tent stakes in. I even know how to hunt with plain old rocks thrown like a baseball.

1:20 p.m. on July 16, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

In the Sierra and other places I bp to here in CA, the trowel gets er done.  I've broken a few orange, plastic ones.   I was using a wide, aluminun stake, this saves me .5 oz.  :)   Rocks are used in emergencies. :)  I wonder how much more $$$ I'll have to spend to lose another couple pounds, at mid UL status now when I want to be.

Duane

8:05 p.m. on July 21, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,252 forum posts

A zipped jacket solves the under and over problems and they don't come out.

November 26, 2014
Quick Reply