before i ruin my fosters pot

5:50 p.m. on August 28, 2013 (EDT)
13 reviewer rep
113 forum posts

and maybe I won't. But in case I will I figured I should ask in case one of you know already. Will my foster can pot withstand the heat of a typical canister stove?

9:32 p.m. on August 28, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,135 forum posts

By Foster Can you mean a Fosters Beer Can? If it has water in it it should hold up as its possible to boil water in a paper cup, so an aluminum beer can should work. Just don't ever put it on with out water in it was the aluminum could melt without it.

Must be a super light weight cook pot!

9:47 p.m. on August 28, 2013 (EDT)
13 reviewer rep
113 forum posts

Thanks! It is a cool little pot. If you haven't seen them...check it out.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/foster-2-cup-flat-bottom.php

7:16 a.m. on August 29, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,135 forum posts

So somebody makes and sells them? Reminds me of when I saw pail panniers for sale on the internet in 2007 when I was in Zion NP for the summer. The company wanted $250 a pair for them. I made my own for $20 a pair and now have two sets of them.

I made my most recent ones from Ex Kitty Litter pails. I paid $5 each for the pail, took the labels off, put the reflective strips around them added the reflector and  used shelf brackets to put them on my bike racks.

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

For $17 you could buy a few cans of Fosters Beer ,drink the beer and make the stove pots yourself.

8:20 a.m. on August 29, 2013 (EDT)
13 reviewer rep
113 forum posts

I could, but I didn't.  The work on THEIR behalf was well worth it to me.  I would have spent 2x the amount just trying to figure it out and not have nearly the "finished product" that I got.

But I see what you mean.  I DIY sometimes....but more often, I don't.

5:24 p.m. on August 29, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,741 reviewer rep
1,308 forum posts

No, a fosters can will NOT stand up to the heat of a canister stove, maybe for a handful of uses.But it will eventually burn through. Fosters cans/pots are best suited to use with an alcohol stove.

Care to ask me how i know?

6:59 p.m. on August 29, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,135 forum posts

MSR-Stowawy-cook-pot.jpg
150.jpg

This is the MSR Stowaway cook pot I use, its 13 oz and is $17.95 at REI.  Its volume is 0.78 liter

The lid seals tightly with the Mason jar like hinge. I stow my MSR Pocket Rocket stove, a lighter and a nylon scratch pad inside and keep that and my MSR fuel Canister in a old Crown Royal bag keeping everything together. I have been carrying this assembly since the 80s.

8:51 a.m. on August 30, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,663 reviewer rep
779 forum posts

Johnathon,

Check MSR's Halulite Minimalist Cookset. 6.3oz for the entire set up, and it's under $30.

Plus you get a FOON with it!!!!! (LOL!)

l96347.png

9:29 a.m. on August 30, 2013 (EDT)
13 reviewer rep
113 forum posts

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Adventure-Stainless-Steel-24-Ounce/dp/B005188T90

I really like this except the base is narrow and does not fit on my MicroRocket.  I get a Gigapower in today an I'm hoping that one works out. 

I do like that GSI set though...looks like a nice piece of equipment.    And it is on sale for $20 at REI this weekend if anyone is interested.

9:16 p.m. on August 30, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,741 reviewer rep
1,308 forum posts

It he's using a Fosters can pot, i am just guessing, and i could be totally wrong. But he is probably looking for a cook pot that weighs an ounce or two, and no more? Or am i missing something here.

8:51 a.m. on September 2, 2013 (EDT)
5,663 reviewer rep
779 forum posts

TheRambler said:

It he's using a Fosters can pot, i am just guessing, and i could be totally wrong. But he is probably looking for a cook pot that weighs an ounce or two, and no more? Or am i missing something here.

True, the GSI weighs a couple more ounces. But it will hold up to a canister stove.

10:04 a.m. on September 2, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

G00SE said:

Plus you get a FOON with it!!!!! (LOL!)

l96347.png

I suspect that the design of the above "foons" is the same that came with my GSI kit(sliding.)

If so they are garbage and rival the usability of a cheap, child's toy. 

I broke mine the 1st time I used it and went back to titanium. 

5:20 p.m. on September 2, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

msr titan kettle. titanium, nice and light, tight fitting lid. if all you want to do is boil water, this is the sh*t.

6:49 a.m. on September 3, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,135 forum posts

MSR-Titan-Kettle.jpg

MSR's Titan Kettle acts as lightweight, bare-minimum solo cookware for your fast and light adventures. Well, you might want a spoon, too.Use the MSR Titan Kettle as a pot, mug or bowl on your bare-minimum camping treks, or add this .85-liter kettle to your Titan Cookset. With a tight-fitting lid and a drip-free spout, you can heat and pour water for tea or instant soup without spilling. MSR fortified the 28 fluid ounce Titan Kettle with lightweight, strong titanium material, so this cookware stands up to seasons of camping and only adds 4.2 ounces to your pack.

7:50 a.m. on September 3, 2013 (EDT)
5,663 reviewer rep
779 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

I suspect that the design of the above "foons" is the same that came with my GSI kit(sliding.)

If so they are garbage and rival the usability of a cheap, child's toy. 

I broke mine the 1st time I used it and went back to titanium. 

Yep, they're the same.

I can't believe GSI hasn't pulled these from the market. They are better than this joke of a product.

9:03 a.m. on September 3, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,135 forum posts

I have a Spork made of nylon plastic that I have had for 4 years, I actually have two of them. They are lightweight. The spoon part is as big as a Tablespoon measure with 4 fork points. Looks like the one below but mine are orange like background of the picture. I have bent one to fit in my MSR cook pot with my Pocket Rocket stove,lighter and nylon scrubby pad and it has always come back to normal shape.

plain_spork.jpg

9:38 a.m. on September 3, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,135 forum posts

Here is another option: 

ONECOL.jpg

Stoic Ti 1.6L Pot + Fry Pan Set

• Titanium construction stands up to lots of drops and abuse while in your pack and doesn't corrode or burn easily on your backpacking stove
  • Non-stick surfaces help prevent food from sticking and burning during cooking, which makes clean-up easier
  • A 1.6L pot and 6in fry pan let you cook different courses and cook enough food for a couple of backcountry companions
  • Pan can function as a pot lid to save weight and decrease boiling times
  • Nylon mesh storage sack holds the pot, pan, and maybe some cleverly packed ingredients together in your expedition pack

TECH SPECSMaterial:titaniumSet Size:(pots) 1, (pans) 1Pot Volume:1.6 LPot Dimensions:5.1 x 4 inFry Pan Dimensions:5.5 x 1 inBuilt-in Strainer:noPot Grabber:noGrooved Bottoms:noNon-Stick:yesStorage Sack:yes, meshPot Weight:5.7 ozFry Pan Weight:2.2 ozComplete Set Weight:7.95 ozRecommended Use:backpacking, camping, expeditions Manufacturer Warranty:lifetime

This is the site to see and order:

http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-ti-1.6l-pot-fry-pan-set?CMP_SKU=SIC0217&MER=0406&SKID=SIC0217&CMP_ID=DM_CRT001fb&mv_pc=r350&mr:referralID=65bdd981-149d-11e3-bae4-001b2166c2c0

10:16 p.m. on September 4, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

Thanks for that info regarding the Foster's pot, I wanted to use mine with my Micro Rocket or similar.  I just ordered a Evernew 1.3 L ti pot for pasta meals in the summer and for snow melting in the winter.  Should be better than my .9 pot or a pot from my kitchen.

Duane

1:09 a.m. on September 5, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,135 forum posts

http://youtu.be/9mpuLnWyIRs 

Heres another light weight idea above

6:45 p.m. on September 8, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

there are a lot of ti pots and pans out there...if you just want to boil water, they are the way to go. if you're looking for a frying pan, I would suggest aluminum. ti doesn't heat evenly, just quickly. it cools quickly too. al gives you more of the even heating you need to do real cooking.

August 30, 2014
Quick Reply