Stove fuel

11:33 a.m. on September 18, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,071 forum posts

I just tried to order fuel for my MSR Pocket Rocket stove from REI but they don't ship via ground and can't send it via air because of restrictions. Does anyone know a outdoor retailer that can and does ship via ground mail? I live in a remote area and its a long bike ride to the closest gear shop.

I need fuel for my fall,winter hikes. 

12:10 p.m. on September 18, 2013 (EDT)
331 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

backcountry.com used to ship me fuel canisters all the time but I just chatted with one of their reps and they don't sell canisters anymore.  hmmm........  

Looks like you might have to find a sporting goods store Gary.  

I was going to volunteer to pick you up what you need and send them to you but I don't want to get in trouble.  See below:

http://listarc.com/showthread.php?13770-fuel+canister+by+USPS%253F

1:26 p.m. on September 18, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,071 forum posts

How do the outdoor shops recieve their fuel canisters if they are not allowed in ground or air packages? REI still sells them in their stores just can't ship them. The closest outdoor store to me is 20 miles away over the White Cliffs down in Kanab. Guess some time this fall,winter or spring I will have to ride down there and stay over night as the hump between makes for a long ride each way.

3:40 p.m. on September 18, 2013 (EDT)
331 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

They use licensed/certified hazmat haulers.  

I did a bit more research and I think it still may be legal to send one or two 4-oz canisters by ground mail.  One would have to contact USPS or UPS to see what the regs really are.  

3:52 p.m. on September 18, 2013 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Gary, you need an alcohol stove! Lol

3:59 p.m. on September 18, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,299 reviewer rep
357 forum posts

Jason is correct...they use licensed drivers and vehicles. I really hope that you can send small canisters in the mail...otherwise that makes canister stoves less appealing for those who do not live next to big outdoor retailers!

4:09 p.m. on September 18, 2013 (EDT)
BRAND REP TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,988 reviewer rep
468 forum posts

I know the majority of thru-hikers use alcohol stoves, but how in heck could a canister-stove-backpacker resupply himself?

You're telling me no one hiking the AT is mailing himself canisters?

There's got to be some small exception, here. Let me know what y'all find out, as I use a canister stove myself.

4:18 p.m. on September 18, 2013 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

HornRimmedHiker said:

I know the majority of thru-hikers use alcohol stoves, but how in heck could a canister-stove-backpacker resupply himself?

You're telling me no one hiking the AT is mailing himself canisters?

There's got to be some small exception, here. Let me know what y'all find out, as I use a canister stove myself.

There are a number of suppliers along the AT. Thru Hikers also mail ahead canisters through the USPS as long as its labeled corectly and ground shipped..

You have to check with your local post office with all questions..

7:16 a.m. on September 19, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,071 forum posts

I may have to go with liquid gas, I am doing some winter hiking/camping this year and next on the Glendale Bench and Skutumpah Terrace east of Orderville Utah. How does an alcohol stove do in the cold. My Pocket Rocket does okay tho I have not used it a lot in the really cold temperatures. I may go with a wood fire also as I will be in Juniper,Cedar and Pinion Pine country. Hopefully this winter will not be to harsh here in this country of SW Utah.

Glendale-Bench-and-Skutumpah-Terrace-2.j

I live just below where Highway 89 to the left and the white road at the near top of the image comes together. The Glendale bench is the longish plateau stretching downbetween the white road and where Highway 89 swings around to the right from lower left. The Skutumpah Terrace is the area on the opposite side of the many canyon edged Kanab Creek and where the white Johnson Canyon Road swings south on the right.

Glendale-and-Skutumpah-areas.jpg

This is a topo of the same area. Mt Carmel where I work is lower left, Orderville left of center, Glendale upper left of center. The East Fork of the Virgin River in running down past the three small towns left, Kanab Creek runs down the middle and  and Johnson Canyon is on the right near the road by the same name. Click on the images and you will see a better detail of them.

I will continue to work part time thru the fall, winter and spring but will be hiking,biking and camping through out the seasons here on my days off when the weather allows.

8:40 a.m. on September 19, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,379 reviewer rep
743 forum posts

Check with your local hardware store. They may be able to special order you fuel canisters. This probably won't be MSR, but a car camping brand like Coleman.

Our local Ace Hardware orders "prizes" for our Cub Scout troop once a year--tents, sleeping bags, etc.

Also check Walmart, if you have one.

3:29 p.m. on September 19, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
411 reviewer rep
1,022 forum posts

According to the regs I'm looking at  "up to 3 small canisters of isobutane fuel canisters can be shipped if labeled "Surface Mail Only Consumer Commodity ORM-D."

I'll bet the outfitter in Kanab or Escalante would mail them to you.

4:05 p.m. on September 19, 2013 (EDT)
BRAND REP TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,988 reviewer rep
468 forum posts

Hate to be a stickler, but you know how USPS is:

Does an 8 oz canister quality as "Small?"

5:04 p.m. on September 19, 2013 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Gary have to ask, what is cold to you? I have used alcohol stoves down to a +20F with no problems. Takes longer to light.

5:46 p.m. on September 19, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,071 forum posts

I am not sure how cold it will be on the bench and plateau I plan to hike on the elevation is about 6000 feet. Winters here vary from cold and snowy to dry and chilly. I am going to look at liquid fuel stoves like a multi-fuel one. I have not used them in years over 30 actually the last time I winter camped in Yosemite in Jan-May 1980. I used to winter camp in the Grand Canyon but it was warm enough inside the canyon to use my propane/butane mix stove.

7:23 p.m. on October 10, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
836 forum posts

I don't think you have a walmart where you are but they do carry the coleman canisters. used it with my windpro, worked fine.

8:39 p.m. on October 10, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

Gary, You aren't that far north of Kanab. There are (or used to be) outfitters and suppliers in Kanab (looks to be at least 3 outfitters based there). and you are about 40-50 driving miles from St George, where I know there are current outfitters, Plus I think I recall seeing a WalMart there when I went through last January (actually, there are 2). Maybe you could arrange with one of your fellow workers who might be going to one or the other to give you a lift. You are in an area where there are lots of sportsmen and outdoor activities (hunters and fishermen like the area). So there should be places where you can buy both butane/propane/isobutane canisters and white gas/coleman fuel if you have a liquid fuel stove.

The Coleman (or any of the canisters having the standard threaded attachment) will do, although the MSR isobutane would be better for colder weather.

9:05 p.m. on October 10, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

There is a liquid amount that can be shipped by USPS ground.  It amounts to three Coleman Powermax canisters, whatever those come to, I don't have one in front of me.  I had some shipped to me by a newbie eBay seller a year ago.  Sent the USPS regs to him.  See the previous post about info that has to be written on the box.  Cost may be high.  If issues with the Postal Service, make them pull the regulations book.

Duane

9:30 p.m. on October 10, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,071 forum posts

I ordered 6 fuel canisters from Backcountry.com and they mailed it to me ground. Was hard finding a company that shipped it. I knew from the first one I tried (REI) that it was illegal but knew it could shipped via ground and found Backcountry.com after a lengthy search. They shipped very quickly. Was $36 for 6 canisters, won't have to order more for a long time the method I cook with.

10:30 a.m. on October 11, 2013 (EDT)
331 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

That's awesome that backcountry.com took care of you.  I buy a lot of stuff from them.  They are a great retailer to deal with.  Best return policy in the business.  You can return gear anytime with no questions asked.  Even years later.  I emailed one of their reps right after I read your thread and she told me they aren't selling canisters anymore.   They must have had a change of heart or the rep didn't know what she was talking about.  I have ordered canisters from them before but it has been a while.  

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply