The Bread That Will Change Your Whole World

10:27 a.m. on January 17, 2014 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,123 forum posts

http://www.yahoo.com/food/the-bread-that-will-change-your-whole-world-73342291256.html

Photo credits: Sarah Britton

Healthy-bread-1.jpg

The Life-Changing Loaf of Bread
Makes 1 loaf

1 cup sunflower seeds
½ cup flax seeds
½ cup hazelnuts or almonds
1 ½ cups rolled oats
2 Tbsp. chia seeds
4 Tbsp. psyllium seed husks (3 Tbsp. if using psyllium husk powder)
1 tsp. fine grain sea salt 
1 Tbsp. maple syrup (for sugar-free diets, use a pinch of stevia)
3 Tbsp. coconut oil or ghee, melted
1 ½ cups water

In a loaf pan, combine all dry ingredients. Whisk maple syrup, oil and water together in a separate bowl. Add mixture to the dry ingredients and combine until everything is completely soaked and dough becomes very thick, adding 1-2 teaspoons water if dough is too thick to stir. Smooth top and let sit at room temperature for at least 2 hours or overnight. 

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Bake bread for 20 minutes, then remove bread from loaf pan, place it upside down, directly on a rack, and bake for another 30-40 minutes (it should sound hollow when tapped). Let cool completely before slicing.

Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.

Healthy-bread-2.jpg

5:40 p.m. on January 17, 2014 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,309 reviewer rep
361 forum posts

That's a very flexible use of the word bread...but I bet birds LOVE it:-)

5:44 p.m. on January 17, 2014 (EST)
331 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

That was my first thought too Joseph.  Looks like a monster granola bar.

11:05 a.m. on January 20, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,064 forum posts

That looks delicious...much like the standard "fruhstuck brotchen" that is ever-present on most Bavarians breakfast tables...a stout bread like that plus a little serviceberry jam or soft cheese and I'm in heaven...

Thanks for the recipe; I'm writing that one down...

2:40 p.m. on January 22, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

We made some and it is good high calorie traveling cuisine. It goes good with salami and cheese. We will be using this recipe again. 

no its not like the ubiquitous unhealthy "bread" that has replaced real breads in this era. This is not a high glycemic food like the bread you find just about anywhere currently.

It is excellent energy food for the long days afoot. 

5:21 p.m. on January 22, 2014 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
1,192 forum posts

Wait, let me get a new set of teeth and I'll give it a try.

11:33 p.m. on January 28, 2014 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

that stuff looks like a mouthful!

11:38 p.m. on January 28, 2014 (EST)
BRAND REP TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,988 reviewer rep
470 forum posts

Think the cast iron dutch oven you'd use to bake [actual] bread weighs less than this stuff must!

It's like a hiker's fruitcake!

12:03 a.m. on January 29, 2014 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,309 reviewer rep
361 forum posts

I think that's what my grandma was referring to when she said you need to eat "ruffage"?...I have worries concerning the egress:-)

8:22 a.m. on January 29, 2014 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,626 reviewer rep
768 forum posts

I'm going to try it. Thanks, Gary!

9:19 a.m. on January 30, 2014 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,123 forum posts

I used to work at a place in Jackson Hole called Jedidiah's House of Sourdough, we made all our own breads,rolls, pancake and waffle batter. Every thing except the pancakes and rolls were as much as 21 grain breads. Most of the stuff had so many whole grains in them that we only soaked the grains then added yeast to make them rise. The pancake mix and rolls were sourdough made from a 20 year old mix that was in a 10 gallon croak in the basement. What ever we took out to make the batter we replaced. Sourdough is just regular batter made then allowed at room temperature to ferment overnight and never refrigerated. It was what I used to refer to as sweet and sour pancakes, because of the sourdough and the sweet maple syrup. Most people could not finish the pancakes because of the interesting mixture of tastes. But we sold a lot of the sourdough breads,rolls,home made cinnamon bread and rolls,homemade granola bars, even sourdough starter which was just the batter that had been allowed to ferment at least 24 hours, that was sold by the pint and quart in mason jars.

It was one of the most popular places to eat breakfast in Jackson Hole and we were always busy in the summer. It was a old 19th century log cabin that once was a house. 

We also made our own jams and jellies and sold it in mason jars.

9:43 a.m. on January 31, 2014 (EST)
255 reviewer rep
44 forum posts

Not really a bread; more like a nut loaf.

7:05 a.m. on March 30, 2014 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

I broke a tooth just reading this!

Ed

2:40 p.m. on April 1, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
906 reviewer rep
66 forum posts

Gary - please keep these kinds of recipes comin'.  IMO this is the kind of high-energy recipe that keeps long distance hikers going.

6:25 p.m. on April 1, 2014 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,123 forum posts

I make my own flat pancake style bread when hiking. I make it every morning before I hit the trail. Then I have something to munch all day, make PB&J's and cheese sandwiches. Just use easy to use whole wheat pancake mix.

6:44 p.m. on April 1, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

This being a review site where actual experience is supposed to count, I'll just say that the fears of any dental distress is a fallacy. It did not affect me on the other end either. ;)

It is soft, dense and filled with some high energy calories. We just did 2 1/2 weeks backpacking up on the Colorado Plateau and used this bread as part of our gasoline supply for the endless days of navigating the rugged canyon country. This recipe was a very fortunate find.

10:55 a.m. on April 2, 2014 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,111 forum posts

That is the kind of stuff a person can live on. Thanks.

August 23, 2014
Quick Reply