Found a FAN of the "Foon"

10:22 a.m. on January 23, 2014 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,370 reviewer rep
834 forum posts

I was shooting this recipe idea for a friend, when I found an unexpected endorsement of the GSI Foon! LOL!

10:29 a.m. on January 23, 2014 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,994 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Fun stuff! Is that for a review here or?

For the record I really liked that eating utensil until I tried cleaning it on the trail. I prefer to use a waterless lick and wipe technique on my spork and that thing has places that can't be reached easily.

11:50 a.m. on January 23, 2014 (EST)
6,370 reviewer rep
834 forum posts

No review. I just posted the video on YouTube for a few friends looking for menu ideas.

The Foon came with my GSI Halulite. I've always considered it to be flimsy and ready to break at a moments notice.

I'm a lick & wipe guy myself. Just stick it in the boiling water before the next meal to kill the germs.

2:24 p.m. on January 23, 2014 (EST)
BRAND REP TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,003 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

Makes me wonder how many Foons have been returned throughout history...

I agree, LS. Lightweight and very packable, but any utensil with nooks and crannies just makes for more/longer camp chores. I used to use an MSR folding spork, but I'd the same problem when the hinge assembly would get food particles stuck in it.

The GSI Minimalist is a really nice size for a solo cookpot.

And the dual-purpose lid/sipper and cozy I did really like.

Broke the Foon in two before making it onto the trail, and almost scorched my hand doing a test boil when I tried using their two-fingered "pot gripper" with my gorilla mitt hand. 

Back to REI it went - couldn't justify the purchase when I'd problems with 2 out of 3 components of the cookset.

3:15 p.m. on January 23, 2014 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,994 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

The breakable nature is actually a feature I think.  It helps keep me from using it aggressively and poking holes in my dinner bag or breaking it trying to shovel my whole dinner into my mouth at once.  Dinner is my one real meal a day on trail and I get a bit excited about it heh.

Smaller kit for solo trips is on my list this Spring so might be a good time to swap this thing out too.

3:24 p.m. on January 23, 2014 (EST)
1,324 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

LS...your part about getting excited to eat your one "real" meal had me spitting coffee:-)

Seriously though...you guys must tell me...what are the advantages of sporks and foons...I've always used a simple spoon...is there something I am missing...or worse...not eating?!?

3:33 p.m. on January 23, 2014 (EST)
2,003 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

An example:

BP's Pad Thai has long rice noodles that aren't chopped into smaller, spoon-sized pieces like they are in, say, MH's spaghetti.

Anything without tines means you're gonna have a bad time eating a meal like that. Since the ingredients are pre-mixed, it's a messy affair trying to extract them from the rest the meal and break them apart. You need something with tines to make it manageable, and spin them around the utensil.

Easier, too, to "spear" chunks of meat from the rest the meal.

Just a couple reasons I prefer sporks - who else out there uses one (or doesn't) and why?

3:38 p.m. on January 23, 2014 (EST)
1,324 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

I'm not gonna lie...there is something in me that finds freeze-dried Pad Thai insulting:-)

5:38 p.m. on January 23, 2014 (EST)
179 reviewer rep
191 forum posts

Dedicated old school traditionalist spoon user here.

In fact, I just used a metal tea spoon swiped from the kitchen up until a few years back. These days I use a Coghlans lexan spoon. Found 'em at a Walmart for .49 cents and they are silly light. Probably not as tough as some lexan spoons on the market but it has held up for several years now.

I just can't use it as a backup tent stake as I could my old metal tea spoon...

Food wise, I can't recall having any trouble with just a spoon, and on occasion I've cooked up real steak and eggs and spaghetti is a regular item. I suspect this is because one gets so hungry on a hike there isn't much that is going to slow the intake of a hot meal...

On two trips now with my nephews they have forgotten to bring a spoon or any kind of utensil. They cut chop sticks and make do with that, and I can't say it slows them down much!

10:18 p.m. on January 23, 2014 (EST)
6,370 reviewer rep
834 forum posts

I'm using a long spoon these days. http://www.trailspace.com/gear/sea-to-summit/alphalight-long-spoon/#review29055

Sucks for eating noodles. But works for my other meals.

10:18 p.m. on January 23, 2014 (EST)
6,370 reviewer rep
834 forum posts

BTW, the video was suppose to just be funny.

11:00 p.m. on January 23, 2014 (EST)
2,003 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

"The first person in the world who likes that utensil."

As hilarious as it is factual.

Get that boy a gig with GSI while his opinion's still honest!

(Was at the office when I first saw your post, Goose - didn't get to check out the video until just now!)

As far as utensils and noodles go - as long as you remember to break them into smaller pieces, they ain't nothing a spoon can't handle. If you could've seen my face the first time I had MH's spaghetti...cut-up noodles...wait, wha?

I date an Italian girl. People have disappeared for lesser offenses. 

10:23 p.m. on January 25, 2014 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,497 forum posts

Haha - good thread.

I agree that when you are hungry it really doesn't matter what you have to eat with, heck fingers will work just fine in a pinch.

I have even used the lid to a sardines tin as a utensil a couple times. Sticks too.

I personally don't like any plastic parts in my cook kits or utensils, I don't dislike plastic but I often cook with a small fire and an all metal kit works better for me. 

I like titanium sporks myself, but that is one of the great things about what we do, you get to do it how you want to do it.

1:35 a.m. on January 26, 2014 (EST)
2,003 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

You're an inspiration, Mike.

Makes me want to ask - what's the least appropriate, most makeshift item y'all have used as a utensil?

"Sardine tin lid" sets the bar high...looking forward to hearing the responses back on this one. :)

11:28 p.m. on January 28, 2014 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

my mouth. slurped it straight out of the bag when I forgot my spoon. wasn't all that bad.

9:45 a.m. on March 4, 2014 (EST)
129 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

Hey, I like my GSI telescopic foon. A tough little foon IMHO. I keep it in my ultralight cookset as it fits just right in my small Ti 450 ml pot. Cheap too !

9:56 a.m. on March 5, 2014 (EST)
6,370 reviewer rep
834 forum posts

With full respect, Sean (I don't want to come across as argumentative.). My Sea to Summit AlphaLight Long Spoon costs $8 and only weighs 1/10th of an ounce more. It doesn't need to be treated gently. So I don't have to worry about my utensil breaking on me. It's down side is the length prevents me from storing it in my pot. http://www.trailspace.com/gear/sea-to-summit/alphalight-long-spoon/#review29055

Having said that, I would encourage you to write a review on it for TS, and I PROMISE not to dis' it. In fact, if it's a quality review, I'll vote for it.

8:26 a.m. on March 6, 2014 (EST)
129 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

Yes I'm familiar with that spoon. The main reason I like the GSI foon is that I can fit it along with an alcohol stove, 4 oz of fuel, windscreen and firesteel all inside a 450 ml Titanium pot with the top on. On 1-2 night solo trips its a great self contained compact kit.

1:57 a.m. on March 7, 2014 (EST)
2,003 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

Closest "packable" utensil I can think of would be MSR's folding spoons/forks/sporks, but those measure 4.3" folded.

These were my go-to utensils, until I wanted something metal that wouldn't chance melting when used for cooking. 

Next best: SP's Ti Short Spork (0.5 oz, 4.6") or an STS Alpha Light Short Spoon (0.2 oz, 5"). Both, however, longer than the aforementioned by MSR.

What brand pot are you using, Sean? TOAKS?

I've owned the infamous "foon" myself. The design - like most things by GSI - is brilliant. The quality just can't stand up to the concept...mine came apart before it even made it onto the trail. Sad, because I will gladly recognize how light and packable a utensil it is.

8:42 a.m. on March 7, 2014 (EST)
129 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

Yes I have the Toaks 450 ml Ti cup with the wire handles and fitted top. Super light and durable and it comes with that nice orange netted bag that cinches up and keeps everything inside. I use an alcohol stove fom bottlestoves.com and a small 4 oz squeeze bottle for the fuel. I find 4 oz will give you 4 boils with the cup around half full. I have the Toaks 900 ml pot as well that I usually bring instead if Im with others and want to make coffee.

I agree the GSI Foon is a brilliant idea but the durability is seemingly a bit lacking. Mine has held up for almost a year now but for $3.60 and 9 grams I'll buy another if I have to. If I use my bigger cooksets I usually use a Snowpeak Ti spork. Optimus makes a really nice compact folding Ti spork I might try sometime.

Speaking of GSI and coffee, anybody try the GSI Personal Coffee Press ? I picked one of these up a few months back in an attempt to get something better than those coffee pouches from Starbucks and the knockoffs. Wow, I must say this is one of my new favorite pieces of kit. It works wonderfully and makes awesome coffee. I'm a coffee'holic if you havent figured that out yet. Nothing better than waking up in the morning in your hammock on the lakeside and reaching over and brewing a fresh batch of coffee and sipping when the sun comes up.

8:48 a.m. on March 7, 2014 (EST)
129 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

I was just thinking that I did a video of my compact cookset a while back. I sould post it in a review of the Toaks 450 ml cup.

October 26, 2014
Quick Reply