Backcountry Bartender

3:59 p.m. on January 31, 2014 (EST)
331 reviewer rep
287 forum posts
4:50 p.m. on January 31, 2014 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,212 forum posts

Only rare times I have drank alcohol in the wild is when at someone else's camp and they offered me a beer. Have never thought of how to carry beer into the backcountry when water is what I drink most.

5:04 p.m. on January 31, 2014 (EST)
331 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

I always carry a flask of whiskey for sipping!  Usually Pendleton.    

11:38 a.m. on February 1, 2014 (EST)
1,324 reviewer rep
388 forum posts

I've never really considered making cocktails...but I bring whiskey with me often on group canoeing and kayaking trips...and have been known to improvise a whiskey-sour with a packet of lemon drink and some water:-)

1:53 p.m. on February 1, 2014 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,934 reviewer rep
426 forum posts

I used to always carry a soft flask filled with good Irish sipping whiskey.  I'm apolitical so long as its smooth.

Lately though I've been enjoying some soft boxed red wines which go really well with rehydrated dinners and sunsets ;)

5:22 a.m. on February 2, 2014 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,212 forum posts

Think that a Nalgene of Heineken would stay as fresh after opening it from its original bottle or can and placed in the Nalgene? I know why not just carry a can, but am curious would opened beer taste as good in the wilds if opened and put in a water bottle?

I am not into whiskey or other fermented things, just Heineken! :)

http://youtu.be/x2jfie0SQD4

11:35 a.m. on February 3, 2014 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

Beer goes flat fairly quickly in a Nalgene. They are watertight, but seldom CO2-tight.

I've seen people burn anhydrous ethanol in stoves, blow it out, and take a sip. Too strong for me!

7:46 p.m. on February 3, 2014 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,493 forum posts

If I'm staying in camp for the day I like a bloody mary (or 2) with brunch, followed by a nice nap.

I also like a couple drinks before going to sleep.

Funny though, I've never been the party type, and I hate being drunk.

When I lived in TN I could get moonshine for 20.00 a quart. (not sayin I did)

8:08 p.m. on February 3, 2014 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,212 forum posts

Guess if I can find the big cans of Heineken I might carry one or two. Could cook with it as well, used to know a climber in Yosemite that made killer Chili with beer instead of water as the base.

Here at home I drink a 6 pack over my 2-3 days off a week, @ 2 a evening.

10:24 a.m. on February 4, 2014 (EST)
331 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

I make my elk chili with Moose Drool beer Gary.  I call it "elk and moose drool chili."  Good stuff.  

12:17 p.m. on February 4, 2014 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
1,196 forum posts

Building a bar kit?  I was a budding drunk in my younger years but a little voice said "stop or die!" and so I didn't die but stopped.  Of course by doing so I've become an anti-alcohol fanatic and eschew all outdoor consumption and the backpacking sots who do it, ie drunkards.  Why?

Because I've seen what alcohol on a trip can do to people, especially in groups.  A solo backpacker sipping out of a flask is one thing, it's another to see the "chortling alcohol teat-nursing drunks" on the other hand build giant bonfires in a wind storm and howl like monkeys all thru the night. 

The recent California Glendora fire was started by three young guys and I wonder---was alcohol involved? 

Okay, my screed ends---back to regular programming.

October 20, 2014
Quick Reply