Soft-Sided Answer to Denatured Alcohol Storage?

8:58 p.m. on May 5, 2014 (EDT)
BRAND REP TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,003 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

Hey, folks.

This conversation can be opened to simply asking:

How do you store your denatured alcohol?

What kind of container?

Beyond that, though, I'm wondering:

Are there any soft-sided containers out there that can stand up to storing denatured alcohol? I know DA's a solvent and can cause deterioration in the wrong kind of container. The idea of a bottle whose volume diminishes with the fuel is an attractive one, though.

Platypus used to manufacture a "Little Nipper" bottle, but it's now discontinued, and the capacity was overkill at 12 ounces (375mL).

Currently I'm out for 2-3 days at a time, so the volume I require is on par with something like Jim just reviewed - and probably less than that. Skurka (and our own G00SE) have been known to rock recyclable water bottles.

My personal container is a hard-sided, eight-ounce, HDPE fuel bottle from Vargo. Works flawlessly, but carries more than I use in a weekend. While one solution is simply not filling it to the brim, a smaller container would be a more packable [and ideal] one.

So - even if not a soft-sided answer - what would y'all consider to be the ideal container for a weekend's worth of denatured alcohol?

Trying to find a solution that holds enough to get me by - rather than enough to get me through winter. Or the apocalypse. 

9:53 p.m. on May 5, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,072 forum posts

I would say try looking for those individual applesauce or Chia gel packets, enjoy the contents, and then experiment with refills...

11:31 p.m. on May 5, 2014 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

While not a soft container, REI vends all sorts of HDPE bottles and jars.  I am positive one is the perfect size for your intentions.  Sorry I cannot advise on size requirements as my stoves use white gas and butane canisters.  BTW HDPE is suitable for use as a long term storage container for alcohol - unintentionally left a shot of whiskey in my flask for almost a year, with no ill affect to the container, other than infusing a spirit scent into the container.

Ed

7:06 a.m. on May 6, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,979 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

What is the actual volume you desire in ounces?  I have a series of product reviews in my pipeline that may include what you are looking for.

7:45 a.m. on May 6, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,336 reviewer rep
832 forum posts

I don't regularly bring my water to a full boil, because it takes too long to cool down. (Of course, we're talking pre-filtered H20). So I plan on using 0.8oz of fuel twice a day (morning coffee, evening dinner). I carry a bit extra in case in case it's cold, and I want hot tea before bed.

In warm months, I carry less fuel and drink cold coffee.

2:27 p.m. on May 6, 2014 (EDT)
2,003 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

@ Vince - Smart thinkin', man. May look into that.

@ Ed - Looks like the small Nalgene containers REI sells are just plain PE - not HDPE. As far as size and packability go, these are ideal, pending they can withstand DA.

@ LS - Between 4 and 6 ounces, ideally, and the more packable, the better. My current bottle holds 8, so I would call that the maximum amount.

@ Goose - Boiling makes sense for purification and freeze-dried dinners, but totally with ya on making hot beverages - boiling it is just wasting fuel, unless you're making coffee before breaking down camp and want it to still be warm once you hit the trail.

10:03 p.m. on May 6, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,336 reviewer rep
832 forum posts

Eric Labanauskas said:

@ Goose - Boiling makes sense for purification and freeze-dried dinners, but totally with ya on making hot beverages - boiling it is just wasting fuel, unless you're making coffee before breaking down camp and want it to still be warm once you hit the trail.

I don't even go for a full boil with the freeze-dried dinners. I find it takes too long for it to cool down to eat.

12:19 p.m. on May 7, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,979 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

I have reviews in process on 16 and 32 ounce containers at the moment, but I'm trying to get my hands on some 4 and 8 ounce containers made by the same company.  I can't review or recommend them until I've tested them, but I think these smaller ones might be popular with the gram wee err conscious :)

12:29 p.m. on May 7, 2014 (EDT)
2,003 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

Ha! Became a "gram-conscious" backpacker simply because of my bad back - didn't get much say in that decision. Wouldn't want to spoil your forthcoming reviews, LS, so would you mind PM'ing me the info on those bottles so I can look them up? Much appreciate the advice, y'all, and keep it comin'.

October 24, 2014
Quick Reply