Frying pan with lid?

12:48 p.m. on June 13, 2016 (EDT)
129 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

I've looked and looked and I just can't find a frying pan with fitted lid with either folding handle or disconnecting handle for my camp gear.  I like to cook.  I eat very well when I camp.  I use the heck out of my fry pan which right now is just a cheap non-stick 9 inch or so folding handle job I got at a local store.  But I need a lid.  I usually use an aluminum pie tin but would really like a fitted lid so I can steam in the pan.  Does any one know of any brand that offers a pan with a fitted lid that has the folding or removable handle?  It must be at least 8 or 9 inches wide.  I start my day frying bacon!  But my hash browns burn while trying to steam them with an ill fitting lid.  Help?

3:38 p.m. on June 13, 2016 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,671 reviewer rep
1,131 forum posts

I'd be afraid to camp near you in bear country, but I'd love to stop by for breakfast!!

Trangia has a non-stick fry pan with lid and folding handle. It is the 307260 model on their web site. I think this is probably the same pan sold by them on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Trangia-Stick-Frypan-Handle-7-8-Inch/dp/B001OPJM9U/

Hope that helps. If so let me know when breakfast is ready :)

5:42 p.m. on June 13, 2016 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,875 forum posts

Haven't had this problem myself, using foil as a fry pan lid.  My guess is you are either using too much heat or using the wrong type of stove.

Canister stoves come in two different burner designs: small and large.  The small burner head type stoves are not well suited to cook food like you do at home; rather they are designed to boil water and heat freeze dried food pouches.  The MSR pocket is one example of a water boiler type stove.  These stoves do a poor job at evenly distributing heat over the bottom of the pan.  Thus the contents in the center of the pan get scorched while the contents along the outside are barely cooking.  If you wish to do real cooking with a canister stove, you will need to use one that has a large burner head (e.g. MSR Windpro).

Likewise liquid fuel stoves also come in two designs: ones that basically are either on or off (it is hard to maintain a consistent low heat setting with these stoves), and ones with controls that permits setting a flame level from candle to raging inferno.  One way to identify the type of liquid fuel stove is noting stoves that have good heat adjustment are designed with two fuel control valves, thus the MSR Whisperlite is a water boiler, while the MSR Dragonfly is intended for cooking where heat control is important.

Ed   

11:30 a.m. on June 15, 2016 (EDT)
129 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

I'm sorry I should have quantified that I'm using a single burner propane stove as I primitive car camp from a Jeep Wrangler.  Tons more room than packing it in really but much less room than one thinks of in terms of car camping.  I use an esbit in an ikea silverware strainer with a platform to boil water to make side dishes and coffee.  I've been using 91% alcohol but gods that soots everything up so am going to switch to denatured.  I don't want to use heet because I travel with my two dogs, one of which is a supreme thief.  (Asked my boyfriend, who joined us for 1 trip, to watch the potato pancakes and in under a minute there were none with him RIGHT there.  All he saw was her licking her lips. )  Anyway the one burner propane is what I use the pan fry on.  Bacon, eggs, hashbrowns or a nice skillet scramble with mushrooms, cheese, a little jalapenos and the wonderful fried potatoes to fuel you up for a long day.  I fry extra bacon and make a blt to throw in my backpack for lunch. Dinner?  How about Salmon fillet on a bed of carmelized onions with taragon and white wine and some loaded mashed potatoes?  Or Delmonico steaks with sauteed mushrooms and shallots?  Yeah, I eat my way through a trip.  I start thinking days in advance.  I keep two coolers that have a three day rating one for drinks and one for food and line with frozen liter bottles of water.  Works pretty well but in hot weather I have to make an ice run after 3 days but will stretch it if we have a 45 minute 4 wheel trip for the ice.    P.S. I am in black bear country but I've really only heard one (sounds like chewbaca) but haven't seen any.  We all wear bear bells. Every food item is in a sealed bag in the cooler and the food cooler stays inside the jeep and away from camp.  Only if its pouring rain will I make a dash and fill a small bin with finger food and take to the tent for a cold meal and then back out it goes.   Thanks for links LoneStranger!  I'll let you know when breakfast is ready! 

10:19 p.m. on June 15, 2016 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,875 forum posts

I assume the hash browns are cooking in some grease or butter.  And perhaps go with a lower heat.  If your stove performance is typical of stoves that use those green tanks, then you should be able to cook without burning the hash, even without a lid, unless you happen to be dealing with breezes that carry off the heat.  In that case a foil cover as well as a windscreen for the flame are in order.  But you shouldn't require a tight lid.

Ed

3:50 p.m. on August 25, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,134 forum posts

These work well. 

https://frybake.com/products/

10:38 a.m. on August 27, 2016 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
2,959 forum posts

For car camping I would consider a two burner propane or gas stove which simmers much better than backpacking stoves. My favorite cooking utensil is an aluminum Dutch Oven in the 10 or 12 inch size. It has no legs and has a tight fighting lid with some weight. It is really a pressure cooker and perfect for steaming.  It also works next to a fire for baking. The lid has a rim to hold coals for top heat.  They cost around $70, but are light in weight, and work for everything from stir fry to pizza or a birthday cake.

5:25 p.m. on August 27, 2016 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,679 reviewer rep
694 forum posts

A foil pie-pan the same size as your frying-pan is a cheap + versatile + lightweight alternative to fashioning a "lid" from heavy foil. I stretch out the edge of the pie-pan just a little bit so that it can sit on the rim of the frying-pan while upside down (lid-mode).

You can store the pie-pan inside of your frying-pan to save space and help protect the non-stick coating when stowed away...and as easily as the pie-pan gets bent out of shape it can be bent back into shape making it very reliable.

I find that a pie-pan loses heat so fast that a handle is unnecessary (you can make one from a loop of aluminum coated tape if you really want one)...and as a bonus a pie-pan makes a great container to hold and serve food with for more complex meals.

7:19 p.m. on August 28, 2016 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
2,959 forum posts

I have used an aluminum pie plate for a fry pan lid plenty of times, and it is a poor substitute compared to a tight fitting lid, that weighs a couple of pounds and has a rim for coals on it.

People routinely spend hundreds of dollars for fuel, food, campground fees, equipment, etc but some how hesitate to spend $70 for the one utensil that can cook anything you want to make. Buy it once and use it for the rest of your life and pass it on to your kids.

4:17 p.m. on September 18, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
50 forum posts

You might be able to find a lid at the thrift store. I've been using a jet boil flux ring fry pan. It's ok. Oil or cooking spry is needed. But you must care of heat and burner size on your stove. hot spots or uneven heat will occu. when I group camp and like on a river trip or car camping I use a camp chef lumberjack 16.  Fits multiple whole whole fish in the pan. No waiting for second batch on small pan. Yes 16 inch But the handles are held on with wing nuts.  Top is sold separate. Most cast iron such as lodge offer a lid separate. That is just what I use. Good luck with the pan your looking for

1:26 p.m. on September 19, 2016 (EDT)
278 reviewer rep
179 forum posts

I second the thrift store recommendation.  That or something like a church rummage sale.  Back in the day, they used to sell aluminum "universal" lids and you can sometime find these at such sales.   (Sometimes they are even in a "free" box by the door with beat up pots and pans.)

9:45 p.m. on September 21, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
50 forum posts

Was also thinking if you found a pan with a riveted on handle. drilled out the rivets and added stainless steel bolts and wing nuts. Make your own removable handle. I'm gonna do it to my old 10 inch frying pan. Good luck everyone safe travels 

2:42 p.m. on September 22, 2016 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
2,959 forum posts

People like to discuss $500 sleeping bags and $400 packs, but they want to buy their cook ware at a thrift store. I don't get it.

10:07 p.m. on September 23, 2016 (EDT)
129 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

ppine I don't own a $500 sleeping bag nor a $400 pack so I value all the advice.  I'm on a budget and just trying to enjoy my life!  Cheers!  Have a great day and happy trails!

9:01 p.m. on September 25, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
50 forum posts

My new 10inch fry pan turned out fine.I found a pan with riveted on handle. Ceramic too. I drilled out the 3 rivets and went to the hardwear store and got stainless steel bolts and wing nuts. Work great and fits better in pack or storage bin. 

9:37 a.m. on September 26, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

I see some in Amazon, try searching there. Trangia is one.

3:37 p.m. on September 26, 2016 (EDT)
271 reviewer rep
1,776 forum posts

alan said:

These work well. 

Isn't this what Nols use's? Looks about the same:)

6:55 p.m. on September 27, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

denis daly said:

alan said:

These work well. 

Isn't this what Nols use's? Looks about the same:)

Good sets, fair price. Not familiar with the site though. But Cool.

9:43 a.m. on September 28, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,134 forum posts

Yes, the Banks Frybake is what NOLS uses, that's where I heard about them way back when.  After my NOLS trip I bought a set and think they work well.

4:46 p.m. on September 28, 2016 (EDT)
271 reviewer rep
1,776 forum posts

Thanks Alan that's what I thought..I am going to order a set for backpacking short days and car camping...I think it will beat my brothers dutch oven he takes for car camping...I'll go through the site,...I might have questions for you later...

8:22 a.m. on October 16, 2016 (EDT)
6 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Fully understand about the hash browns.  Mine used to stick too.  Then a friend  told me to carry a small spray bottle full of water and spray them as they cook.  That helps to product the steam that hash browns need to be pefectly done.  That trick worked for me so hope this helps...an egg breakfast is not breakfast without hash browns in my book :)  Oh, BTW, my spray bottle is really small.  Got it at Dollar General for around a buck and it has lasted through many a breakfast cookings.

5:10 p.m. on December 4, 2016 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
50 forum posts

self-reliance outfitters just put out a 304 stainless steel 8" skillet with folding handle. It's  the new pathfinder skillet. 

9:16 p.m. on December 5, 2016 (EST)
129 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Hi Mudfoot!  I don't see it listed on their site?

4:17 p.m. on December 8, 2016 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
50 forum posts

Selfrelianceoutfitters is the company it is currentry sold out. Dave C. Has you tube vid of of it. I found it on the 5 or 6 page of outdoor cookwear

4:33 p.m. on December 13, 2016 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
4,991 reviewer rep
1,941 forum posts

i like primus litech - anodized aluminum so it heats well, highly durable, great non-stick coating.   lasts practically forever.  the fry pans are usually sold as a set that includes a lid but also a pot - can't recall ever seeing the fry pan and lid as a separate item for sale.  

11:52 p.m. on February 3, 2017 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
50 forum posts

Selfrelianceoutfitters is sell that 8" stainless folding skillet with lid for 19.95

11:09 a.m. on February 4, 2017 (EST)
129 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

HURRAY Mudfoot for letting me know its now back on their website!  I'm ordering now!  I can't wait!!!!  Consider yourself kissed!  I'm SOOOO excited.  Its so affordable and I do hope the lid fits well for that wonderful steaming ability I want.  I just can't wait to try it out! 

4:08 p.m. on February 9, 2017 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
50 forum posts

they have video on line how to season the pan. glad to help out. Enjoy

9:46 p.m. on May 10, 2017 (EDT)
187 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I will second frybake as hands down the best outdoor pan out there.  

12:17 a.m. on June 2, 2017 (EDT)
847 reviewer rep
479 forum posts

I have a WallyMart "one-egg" size, 6 1/4" diameter frying pan that is excellent. (I cut the handle off and use my backpacking pot grippers).

1. ceramic non-stick surface (lasts a long time)

2. circular grooves on bottom (keeps it from slipping on a stove) 

3. thicker (& a bit heavier) aluminum construction

My skillet cover is the same lid I made for my 3 cup anodized aluminum cook pot. It's made from disposable pie-pan aluminum with a Gorilla Tape "handle in the center. I turned the lid edges down 1/4" all the way around to keep it on the pot and skillet in the wind.

I use the skillet for everything from pancakes to omelettes to sausage.

Eric B.

11:21 a.m. on June 2, 2017 (EDT)
129 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

I got the pathfinder 8" skillet with lid and finally just wrote a review and submitted.  Does anyone know if I'm allowed to add a youtube link to a short review of it that I made?  Oh and anyone that needs a good saute pan with great lid should check this pan out!  That fitted lid is the bomb!  I LOVE this pan.  Mudfoot74 I owe you breakfast some day!  Thanks for mentioning it!  My wait is over finally!  Happy Dance!

11:20 a.m. on June 7, 2017 (EDT)
34 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

Sadly, the usual makers of backpacking cookware haven't seemed to figure out that some people like to use more than one pot at a time, much less that a skillet needs a lid. Your best bets are going to be el cheapos from the mass market retailers, or high end gourmet cookware. If you are car camping, you might consider Lodge cast iron, which has lids down to their 8" size (which is really the old 5" size renamed...they used to measure by the flat bottom, now they measure by overall diameter, which is why the old 8" skillets are now their 10 1/4" skillets)

You might try taking your favourite pan to a charity shop. These often have odd lids, and you might find one that works well.

November 22, 2017
Quick Reply