Freeze dried food cooking

3:01 p.m. on June 24, 2017 (EDT)
470 reviewer rep
91 forum posts

I want to know can or do people use a cooking pot to reheat is a single serving mountain house freeze dried meal if so what size pot thank you!.

4:15 p.m. on June 24, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,671 reviewer rep
1,128 forum posts

Imagine a 1L pot would give you plenty of room for a pint of water and the contents of a dinner bag. Boil water, dump bag, wrap it up in a cozy of some sort while it steeps. I see people doing it, but it looks terribly messy leaving you with a pot to clean up after dinner. For me getting #10 cans and using freezer bags lets me control portion size and packaging. Eating out of the bag means no clean up.

4:50 p.m. on June 24, 2017 (EDT)
470 reviewer rep
91 forum posts

thanks for the tip!

6:14 p.m. on June 24, 2017 (EDT)
2,274 reviewer rep
817 forum posts

I am one of those wierd ones who, when I eat dehydrated or freeze dried meals, usually end up cooking them in a pot. I have no good reason for doing it...extra water needed for cleanup etc...but just find it more satisfying eating out of a pot. I use the 1.3 liter vargo titanium pot. See my recent Packit Gourmet chili review for a couple of photos of how that meal fits in the pot. I like it better at 1.3 L to allow for bubbling and spillover containment.

7:27 p.m. on June 24, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,437 reviewer rep
197 forum posts

Boil water in pot, pour water into bag with food, place bag in pot. fold/roll top of bag over top edge of the pot. Now you can eat out of the pot and still have the clean-up ease of a bag.

Like this -- I'm using a caddy rather than a pot but same idea:
P1020158---Copy.jpg

8:28 p.m. on June 24, 2017 (EDT)
5,671 reviewer rep
1,128 forum posts

We do that with a bowl for my daughter to eat out of JR. She hasn't mastered the art of holding on to a corner of the bag so a bowl keeps her from burning her hand.

8:34 p.m. on June 24, 2017 (EDT)
2,274 reviewer rep
817 forum posts

So this may open back up that debate about plastics...is avoiding disposable bottles and the BPA in them better than using Nalgene for longer term, often with BPS or F, and how do those compare with adding boiling water to food grade plastic bags? Just stirring the pot on this one (pun intended) with no real agenda or opinion either way:)

8:45 a.m. on June 25, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,437 reviewer rep
197 forum posts

I have heard that ziploc freezer bags are OK for using boiling water. Admit I haven't read any scientific evidence, though.

10:17 a.m. on June 25, 2017 (EDT)
5,671 reviewer rep
1,128 forum posts

I won't reuse water bottles as they aren't designed for long term use. Instead I carry insulated bike bottles, but I am thinking about switching to stainless steel. Hard to keep the bike bottles from growing mold.

The Ziploc brand freezer bags are rated for use in the microwave so I feel comfortable pouring some ~200°F water into a bag of food that immediately brings that temperature down a fair bit. I don't wash them out and reuse them though no matter what some folks say :p

12:47 p.m. on July 27, 2017 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,847 forum posts

JRinGeorgia said:

Boil water in pot, pour water into bag with food, place bag in pot. fold/roll top of bag over top edge of the pot. Now you can eat out of the pot and still have the clean-up ease of a bag.

Like this -- I'm using a caddy rather than a pot but same idea:
P1020158---Copy.jpg

Folks using a bag other than the one provided by the vendor should use only plastic bags specifically intended for use as boil bags.  Standard plastic storage bags outgas chemicals into your food if used in such a manner.

Ed 

5:49 a.m. on July 28, 2017 (EDT)
470 reviewer rep
91 forum posts

i have found a solution ,using soya chunks or soya mince just add the dried herbs and stock cube  plus what ever fresh or dried vegetables . i prepared a beef Bologna, a chili con carne ,beef casserole and they tasted great plus cost very little compared to prepared freeze dried meals

September 25, 2017
Quick Reply