Outdoor Mexican Party

11:20 a.m. on October 5, 2017 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
2,977 forum posts

In a couple of weeks I am throwing a party celebrating the food and culture of Mexico.  This time I have three women from Mexico helping me cook on a fire. We are making maize tortillas on a sheet metal grill (comal), frijoles from scratch, arroz, carnitas de manteca y pollo de verde.  We will have at least 3 salsas that are homemade with some good tequila and cerveza.  One of my friends is bringing musica de Mexicana.

The whole works will be in the backyard looking at the Sierra Front to the west and the Pine Nut Range to the east.  I wish you all could be there. Happy Fall everyone. 

3:29 p.m. on October 5, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,963 reviewer rep
2,040 forum posts

cool! Wish I could partake.

6:08 p.m. on October 5, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,337 reviewer rep
896 forum posts

After a long day of slogging through thick coastal wetlands for work, this meal sounds awesome! Sounds like a great time...happy fall to you also ppine.

7:08 p.m. on October 5, 2017 (EDT)
148 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

Post an address ppine....You will probably be stunned as to how many of us make it!

3:55 p.m. on October 11, 2017 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
2,977 forum posts

Thanks Jason.

My family is a long way from here, although they have all been to my outdoor parties over the years.  Close friends are important to me.  I tell them "you are just like family, except you are nicer to me."

The leaves are turning, there is frost in the morning and the Nevada sun is bright and strong during the day. Perfect time to slow down, build a fire, and cook in Dutch Ovens. I have set up some white canvas tarps for shade and wind break.

Sometimes I can't believe how lucky I am.  Show your Gratitude to someone you care about.  Tell them you love them.

8:38 a.m. on October 15, 2017 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
2,977 forum posts

The party was a smash. It is a wonderful thing to make traditional food in the old way with people that grew up cooking on a fire.  The air was clear, we played Mexican music all afternoon, drank some small amounts of tequila, and I learned some new Spanish. In the West we have a legacy of Spanish culture via Mexico, and the ways of handling horses and cattle we learned mostly from them. 

Nevada means snow in Spanish.  Lots of our place names in the southwest have similar origins.  With all of this talk about immigration, I thought it was a good time to clebrate the culture of Mexico. Yesterday was thoroughly enjoyable, and several times it felt like we were in Mexico.  Bienvinedos mis amigos. 

December 13, 2017
Quick Reply