feedback on gatorade

6:03 p.m. on August 11, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

I would like to know if Gatorage really is a benefit on a dry, long hike. When climbing(not technical) I tend to heat up quickly. I know this reaction is normal however, if gatorade can reverse this it would be nice.
All feedback is appreciated.

8:36 p.m. on August 11, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

I would like to know if Gatorage really is a benefit on a dry, long hike. When climbing(not technical) I tend to heat up quickly. I know this reaction is normal however, if gatorade can reverse this it would be nice.

I don't know if it is *better* for you than water. (my gut feeling is no) But it is sweeter and will make you want to drink more. (I know that's what it does to me)

Overall I think that the water will be better for you, but the gatorade will keep you better hydrated. Simply because you like it and will drink it more often.

As far as multi day hikes go. Warm water is just nasty, but will keep. Warm Gatorade is slightly less nasty, and will grow fuzz. Go with the water.

12:20 a.m. on August 12, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Warren Stevens

Quote:

You should be able to get a lot of what you get out of Gatorade from your food (electrolyte replacement) as most all foods have a salt content. Gatorade was recommended to me by a Doctor as a treatment for a kidney stone attack, something that has happened to me in the backcountry and resulted in not being able to keep water down. So, in the case of radical water loss, a electrolyte replacement drink helps.

There are supposed to be other sport drinks that are better formulated for high activity use: Gookenaide and Cytomax, both available at REI (my reference for that is Mark Twights Extreme Alpinism that has an excellent treatment on the topic of nutrition).

If the issue is over heating you may want to treat that more directly: loose fitting clothes, lighter colors, even cotton or wet cotton.

6:19 p.m. on August 12, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

on gatorade...

yes, but try getting the powdered kind from the supermarket and mixing it weak. Like maybe 1/2 or 1/3 strength. It is said that the stomach will absorb it faster and with the water content higher it is better hotter climates. Also helps with that odd water taste of drinking hot water all day.
Carring some of the powder can help the taste of treated water (from the wild) but don't add until after the recommended wait period of the treatment.

chris

4:56 a.m. on August 22, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

maybe

Sports drinks are actually supposed to work. But for most levels of activity they're just not necessary. Water is just fine, although some sports drinks can't hurt.

Interestingly, over the last few years there has been a syndrome described in ultra endurance athletes called 'exercise-induced hyponatremia' which occurs in very long distance events (basically a marathon is a bare minimum and most often it's in events like the hawaii ironman) in hot weather. Basically what happens is that you sweat out a ton of sodium (salt) and if you replace that with straight water, blood sodium can fall to dangerous levels. It is distinct from simple dehydration. Although there have been no controlled studies looking at what is the best treatment, the present recommendation is to drink sports drinks, i.e. gatorade.

It is possible that you can sweat enough on a long, hot, hard hiking/climbing day for this to happen. Personally I've had a couple of days where I've had to drink 10-15 Litres (3-4 gallons?) of water over the course of the day due to very high heat/humidity. I felt crap, and had huge cramps. Drinking salt/sugar solutions fixed it like magic.

Quote:

7:50 a.m. on September 3, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

Once on a hike I did with a 30kg pack and temperatures over 40c I got to the point where I was sweating water out faster than I could put it back (and I felt like crap) - luckily I had picked up a Gatorade just before I left and after that I felt lots better. Still ended up with mild heat stroke but I believe it was the Gatorade that saved me. I won't go anywhere hot without it now if I think I'll sweat a lot.

10:44 a.m. on May 19, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

gatorade

i just had a quick question, and i'm not sure whether you'll be able to answer, but i was wondering if Gatorade had the same effects towards your body even when it is heated?

November 28, 2014
Quick Reply