About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

dehydrated dog food

10:02 a.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Hi, after seeing many of you are dog owners I wanted to see if anyone has experience with dehydrated dog foods. My dog is on a raw diet and obviously taking 3-4lbs of raw meet per day into the back country is not helping my pack weight and certainly not helping the possible bear issues.

There are a few companies out there with these products. The one I have been using is NRG pet products. I was able to get some samples to try my pup with it and so far so good.

Has anyone had and good or bad experiences with products like these?

Thanks

12:34 p.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
239 forum posts

At home I use a pellet food of some kind. There are hundred of brands out on the market, just find the one that you/the dog like. (Some dogs have sensitive stomacs)

We have two versions of the same brand, one for dayly use, and one high calory version for tours. My dog is 30kg, and he gets about 400grams of the daily food each day. On tours he gets 550g of the high calory food. It is important that you stick to one producer, and do not change to another brand when you go for a hike.

I have had only good experiences with dried dog food. On tours my dog gets fed after I have eaten. There are two reasons for that. One is to let him settle. It may be dangerous to feed too early after a hard day on the trail. The other is to mix the leftovers from my meal into his food.

4:08 p.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Interesting info, thanks for the tip on letting the dogs stomach settle, I would have likely over looked that.

By a pellet food do you mean the kibble? I am anti-kibble for my dog thats why she gets the raw diet. I know there are some great kibble companies but I have had to many bad experiences with so called vet recommened brands.

7:30 p.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

My dog is on a base diet of lamb & rice kibble, but I supplement that with salmon and tuna, and other nutritious foods. When backpacking he eats a good bit of trout which is good for him, plus it cuts down on the amount of food we must bring from the house. I guess that doesn't answer your question does it? I did notice you said the meat did not help your pack weight. Does your dog not carry her own stuff?

I also understand about the vet recommended brands, in my opinion they are overpriced. I'm not saying they are not a great product, just overpriced. Then again you want to avoid the mid or low priced foods that are also overpriced due to the large amount of useless and sometimes unhealthy fillers used.

8:11 p.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
22 reviewer rep
28 forum posts
9:59 p.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
34 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

If you're feeding your dog meat, why not just buy a dehydrator and dehydrate it yourself?

11:08 a.m. on April 19, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Thanks for the added info. My dog does carry a pack with some food/treats but she had some issues with her knee bone not developing %100, the vet recommends not carry over %10 of her body weight. 60 lbs dog, 6 lbs total.

I am just getting into the idea of buying a dehydrater but honestly its just having the time available.

No matter what I won't go back to a store or vet brand dry kibble after going to a raw diet.

Thanks again

11:33 a.m. on April 19, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

I know what you mean about time constraints!

I'm a novice at dehydrating, got one a couple years ago and tinker for now, but I do dehydrate about 1/3 of the food I take on backpacking trips, and I'm learning. Seems to me it gets quicker as you learn.

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply