Spices & Condiments / What do you bring & how do you do it?

11:22 p.m. on April 20, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

I limit myself to Salt, Pepper, Garlic Salt, Basil, Old Bay, and Tony Chacheries Cajun (or something real close to that). Some gets mixed in meals prepared at home to be cooked on the trail, and some goes in little containers.

Butter & Jelly in single use packets, and some Olive oil.

Occasionally some other items.

How does everyone else carry this stuff, and what do you like to take along. Also how does everyone manage moisture problems with dry spices. I've been putting a few grains of rice in my spices to absorb moisture, but it is still a chore to keep everything dry sometimes. The areas I go to stay wet and damp a lot of the time.

Thanks, and I look forward to the input.

1:20 a.m. on April 21, 2009 (EDT)
44 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

I use a double sided spice carrier from walmart. I keep pepper in one side and a pepper/spice blend in the other side.

Probably not the lightest option, but it was cheap.

BTW, carrying some Crown makes all the food taste better. I suppose if you were incredibly desperate you could burn it for fuel as well (perish the thought).

1:55 a.m. on April 21, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,421 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

This reply really goes in the "pimp your gear" section.

I saw this as a DIY project. I take a regular straw, take some needle nose pliers, scissors...then I cut the straw down and heat the plier to crimp an end. Then I fill it with salt or pepper. I also poke several holes into one end of the straw for the shaker end. Then with the saved piece of straw, I make a sleeve that will fit over the holes. I then crimp the other end.

Wa-la! A SUPER LIGHT miniature salt and pepper set (BTW, if you want to get fancy, you can use different colored straws for each spice to avoid spice mix ups.) It should work on most spices.

9:13 a.m. on April 21, 2009 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Cool approach, secondgear. I like it. I usually just bring one of those llittle dual-sided s/p shaker things, and that's it for spices. Depending on when, where, the menu, etc., there may be some butter, honey, and peanut butter somewhere in the bix, but that'd be all.

BTW, I happened to notice a while back a Nalgene "Half Moon" product in a store. It consisted of a semicircular foam block with cutouts for small bottles to sit in, with a zippered nylon pouch to enclose the whole thing; presumably to carry this kind of stuff, I guess. Takes up lots o' space, though I guess if one's serious about spices and such, this might be a good way to go. Trouthunter?

11:01 a.m. on April 21, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

I also use straws and they work very well, specially the huge multi-colored slurpy ones. a piece of masking tape is useful to know what is what. I almost never carry spices though, don't know why....

12:28 p.m. on April 21, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

In addition to the the standards spices (Salt, Pepper, Garlic, Basil) in GSI shakers. I all also have Tabasco / Hot sauce and Olive oil in a plastic Travel Bottle...

I like the idea of using straws for the dry spices... I never thought of that.

4:49 p.m. on April 21, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,076 forum posts

I use empty film canisters for all my liquid and powder spices. They're uber-light, seal tight, and are essentially free (call you local camera store).

8:18 p.m. on April 21, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

Also use empty film containers. Great for home made waterproof matches, also. I am boring....just some pepper or spices my better half may come up with. At home I like low salt type condiments, especially ethnic ones. On the trails I hate carrying anything that is not essential.

4:04 p.m. on April 22, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

Some great ideas, I've been using those miniature ziplock type bags and then placing those in a regular sandwich size bag. I have trouble getting the little bags to zip sometimes if the spices get caught in the zipper part. I'm trying to make cooking a little faster and easier.

Eating a real meal once a day is very important to me and adds to my trip enjoyment.

Please keep the ideas coming.

5:31 p.m. on April 22, 2009 (EDT)
44 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

I don't know for sure, but I would be careful with film canisters. Some of the chemicals in film are things I wouldn't want in my food.

10:28 p.m. on April 23, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

East said:

"BTW, carrying some Crown makes all the food taste better. I suppose if you were incredibly desperate you could burn it for fuel as well (perish the thought)."

I have done that, seriously!

Now about those film canisters, how about washing them, or do the chemicals get into the plastic you think?

9:31 p.m. on May 5, 2009 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

Most of the things I cook have spices already included. But I do carry sugar packets, butter packets and mini-moo's to cook with!

12:49 p.m. on May 6, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,076 forum posts

I've not had any problems with film canisters, and I have stored Habanero hot sauce in one for 8 days straight, fresh from the local camera store, unwashed. I used this hot sauce on every one of those 8 days, with no ill effects. I do usually wash the canisters, though, before use.

Many people use this method, and I haven't heard of any problems.

Simple, cheap, fluid-tight, and you get satisfaction of diverting something from the waste stream for a little longer.

10:42 a.m. on May 7, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

I get my usual spices from the Indian grocers in the area.

I love my curry powders, tumeric, various masalas and spices to make tea masala.

11:45 p.m. on May 7, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Salt & Pepper here

I have a small shaker but that's about it, I try to pre-mix everything.

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply