Saving fuel when cooking

10:45 a.m. on June 7, 2009 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,302 forum posts

Here is a way to save fuel when cooking.

Whenever I cook pasta, I bring the water to a boil, add the pasta,return the water to a boil, then remove the pot from the stove. Then set the hot pot on a bandana or tshirt and wrap the pot in the cloth. Wait about 10 minutes and the pasta is still cooked normally.

I also use about 1/2 to 1/3 less water than the recommended two cups and then the pasta will soak up all the water, leaving less to drian out. Or I will ad instant potatoes,extra cheese or crackers/tortilla chips to the extra water and make a cassarole dish out of it.

I also like to add tuna to the normal pot of Mac & Chs to make a heartier pot of dinner.

Also you can soak dry pasta in cold water for about 30 minutes prior to eating and then just add the cheese packet. It is cold,yes, but still a filling dinner if you don't want to carry a stove.

Also take chicken Bullion cubes to add to the hot water before the pasta, it makes the food taste even better and can be used in the place of salt.

3:33 p.m. on June 7, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Garry

What is the reason for wrapping the pot in a piece of cloth? Is it just basically an insulation thing that helps keeps the heat in?

As far as the soaking pasta goes you could soak it for the 30 min then put it on the stove to heat it up also. That way would give you a hot meal and save fuel as well.

5:55 p.m. on June 7, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,506 forum posts

Good ideas!

I generally use a lot of white gas on a backacking trip, I like to cook and am willing to carry extra fuel. Even so these tips are very useful and can be great knowledge to have on hand I would think. If I have to travel light for several days I take my little wood burner. These tips would work for it as well.

6:51 p.m. on June 7, 2009 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,302 forum posts

I use a propane stove and one 4 oz/133 g canister can last about 2 weeks depending on elevation. When I used to use a white gas stove, one filling of my Svea 123 could last a week.

6:24 p.m. on June 21, 2009 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

1. I don't bring water to a boil first when cooking pasta, instead I combine pasta and water, bring this to a boil (covered of course), and then, also, insulate the pot and allow the pasta to finish cooking. Also, soak oatmeal overnight, or even legumes while hiking; this also speeds up cooking time.

1:21 a.m. on June 22, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

Make yourself a pot cozy out of foam, or reflectex, and really save fuel.

8:54 a.m. on June 22, 2009 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,302 forum posts

And what does reflectex do, does it heat things with the sun, I will look it up?

8:57 a.m. on June 22, 2009 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,302 forum posts

I see a product called reflectix, but it doesnt sound like a cooking device?

9:32 a.m. on June 22, 2009 (EDT)
7 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

It's an insulating device. People make pot or bag cozies out of them. Take the pot off the stove, place it in the cozy, and it holds in the heat while the food rehydrates.

9:09 p.m. on June 22, 2009 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

It's an insulating device. People make pot or bag cozies out of them. Take the pot off the stove, place it in the cozy, and it holds in the heat while the food rehydrates.

sweet!

9:36 a.m. on June 23, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
25 forum posts

One step for using less fuel can start before the trip. I buy instant oatmeal which only needs hot water. Also, minute rice is great too. Just bring water to boil, remove heat and put minute rice in, cover, and wait a few minutes.

Different noddles cook faster too. Ramen noodles only take hot water to be made.

My grill is an MSR Pocket Rocket and can really bring water to a boil fast with a little amount of gas.

November 28, 2014
Quick Reply