Best Trail Bar I have ever had!

11:00 p.m. on September 27, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Yesterday I picked up a box of Nature Valley's new 'Roasted Nut Crunch'.

This is definitely the best trail bar I have ever tried! It is not a protein powerhouse at only 6 grams of protein, but they are good.

Reminds me of one of those Peanut Plank candy bars.

12:52 p.m. on September 28, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

Hummmmm..bars! I'm packing for a 2 week trip today and i think i'll go with the snickers/mars/nature valley/brownies/almonds and cashew combo. 1000 cal. a day of snacks should keep me alive!

10:14 a.m. on September 29, 2009 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,194 forum posts

Best trail bars? I've been thru a bunch:

** Bear Valley Meal Paks and Pemmican Bars/the old 1980s standby with 400 calories and alot of protein.

** Larabars/made in Colorado--almond/cashew a fave.

** Kind nut bars/some with coconut/grocery store stuff with nuts.

** Pro Bars/superfood slam is a favorite. Just discovered these at a bicycle shop and later got online and ordered a few cases.

** Boomi-bars/cashew-almond is great. New discovery at a health food store so I ordered a couple cases. Simple and good.

All these babies can be ordered online.

5:08 p.m. on September 29, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts
Nature Valley All the Way!

Nature Valley is hands down my favorite bar brand. The oat bars don't mush up like soft bars, and even if they crumble, the texture isn't disturbing at best like a Nutragrain. Oats 'n' Honey is amazing! The salty 'n' sweet bars are great in cooler weather, too, since they might melt in high temps.

6:30 p.m. on September 29, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

I mash up Nature's Valley Oats 'n' Honey bars and add milk for cereal every morning. Sam's Club sells a giant box for $10.

4:04 p.m. on September 30, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
32 forum posts

Had the Almond Nut crunch with my yogurt today, simply amazing!

3:55 p.m. on October 1, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

My ultimate, forever-favorite trail bars: LaraBar's apple and cherry pie flavors. All natural, no high-fructose corn syrup, a good dose of protein due to the yummy nuts they include, and amazingly delicious!

4:04 p.m. on October 1, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
25 forum posts

I like to use PowerBars but they make you really thirsty and with scarce water it is not the best option.

My absolute favorite all around bar is Nature Valley Chewy Trail Mix Fruit and Nut. I usually take 6 on an overnight hike and it gives me a lot of extra energy after snack time.

Has anyone ever made their own bars? I have friends that make them from oats, honey, crushed nuts, and a bunch of other stuff. Any recipes?

2:50 a.m. on October 5, 2009 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

We love the CLIFF bars; awesome protein and good source of energy.

10:35 a.m. on October 5, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

I like Cliff Bars too, my favorite is the Oatmeal, Walnut, Raisin.

I have experimented with making my own bars, but, for me it is cheaper to buy them when I figure in my time. I did however enjoy making some.

6:37 p.m. on October 6, 2009 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

I like Clif bars. But recently have found Luna bars (for chicks I know, but good).

7:45 p.m. on October 6, 2009 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

What I like most about the Clif bars is the taste and the wide variety........ and the price......we get them 10 for $10 on sale at Krogers.

9:40 p.m. on October 6, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Yeah, Clif bars are my mainstay, with Odwalla banana-nut bars sometimes too.

I make cake-like bars using a bulk bran muffin mix, ground quinoa, chopped dried apricots, walnuts, and soy protein isolate. Proportions vary, just use enough bran muffin mix to bind the batter well. Bake 25 minutes at 350 degrees. They have to be packed in a container though because they crumble. Best for day-hikes and around the house.

I used to eat Power Bars but on the first day of a 4-day wilderness river trip I left part of a molar in one. Bad teeth and chewy bars go together like pain and sorrow.

7:17 p.m. on October 11, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Since I'm baking today, here's a better-quantified version of the recipe above:

3/4 cup ground sunflower seed kernels

1/2 cup soy protein isolate

1 cup ground quinoa seeds

Combine that in a big mixing bowl with 2 cups of milk and let it set 5 minutes (to let the quinoa soften)

Then add:

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1 cup chopped dried apricots (or any dried fruit you like, of course)

2 big "glugs" of olive oil (use safflower or whatever if the taste of olive oil is too much)

Stir in :

1 1/2 cups muffin mix, adding more milk as necessary to keep the batter workable

Plop into a greased 9 X 12 pan and bake at 350 deg for 25 to 30 minutes.

You can also add sugar, honey, or molasses if you have a sweet tooth, and ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, or other favorite spices.

Besides the complex carbs from the wheat and quinoa, this recipe provides several sources of fat (sunflower meal, walnuts, and olive oil), sources of protein (soy protein, milk, and quinoa, which has a higher proportion of complete protein than wheat or other cereal grains), good fiber content, and sugars from the dried fruit (and whatever sweetener you add, if any).

(Note: I make the quinoa and the sunflower kernel meal using a little high-speed blender meant for grinding coffee beans.)

Too fragile for a real trail bar and not as vitamin-enhanced as Clif or PowerBars or Luna bars, but cheap to make and reasonably nutritious.

1:34 p.m. on October 28, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,050 forum posts

A few of my favorites:

I like Kashi granola bars. The cherry dark chocolate flavor is a big favorite.

Also, the Clif/Luna/ZBar family: Luna has a new flavor, raspberry chocolate, which is really good. The caramel nut brownie is aweseome too. My kids, and me, also really like their kid ZBar flavors. We even give out Clif Kid Spooky S'mores ZBars for Halloween.

I used to bring back extra sample size Clif/Luna bars from Outdoor Retailer, because I liked the small size as an extra option. Now they make boxes of bars that size (I knew it was a good idea!).

Honey Stinger makes a peanut butter protein bar that is insanely dense and highly caloric. I limit its use to an occasional recovery bar. (I like their gels and chews for long runs.)

I also like ProBars, if you don't mind quite a few calories. I want to try their new Fruition bars.

http://www.trailspace.com/articles/2009/09/23/new-bars-chews-bites.html

Beyond "real" trail bars, Snickers are my absolute favorite hiking/backpacking candy bar.

11:01 a.m. on October 30, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,050 forum posts

I just had an apple cinnamon Pure Bar for the first time (I saw them at the grocery store and bought two the other day) and it was really good. I'll definitely try some other flavors: wild blueberry, chocolate brownie...

It's a raw, organic, minimally-processed bar. You can taste the distinct ingredients (not a mash of stuff) and was quite yummy.

11:22 a.m. on October 30, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

I just had an apple cinnamon Pure Bar for the first time (I saw them at the grocery store and bought two the other day) and it was really good. I'll definitely try some other flavors: wild blueberry, chocolate brownie...

It's a raw, organic, minimally-processed bar. You can taste the distinct ingredients (not a mash of stuff) and was quite yummy.

Alicia, that sounds good!

I am a big fan of cooking from scratch, when I have the time. As you mentioned about the Pure Bar, when home cooking with raw or fresh ingredients you get individual & distinct flavors from the ingredients.

I'm not a big fan of processed foods, the flavors just don't 'kick' for me.

I often find that while not the most convenient, I have time for scratch cooking while backpacking on non travel days.

On travel days I just try to find the most nutritious & tasty trail food possible.

I've never been able to go on peanut butter & ramen for 5 days, I get depressed!

8:47 a.m. on November 11, 2009 (EST)
130 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

Bake your own Logan bread. Much cheaper and healthier. Very easy to make and won't freeze solid in the winter.

Check out this illustrated recipe:

http://sectionhiker.com/2008/06/22/logan-bread-recipe/

12:35 p.m. on November 11, 2009 (EST)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

Wildberry Chocolate Bumper Bar

http://www.cookietime.co.nz/bwc.html

9:30 a.m. on November 30, 2009 (EST)
130 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

Best Trail Bar --- I like Moe's in Lee, MA. It's close to the appalachian trail and they have young's double chocolate stout on tap.

10:03 a.m. on November 30, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,050 forum posts

Best Trail Bar --- I like Moe's in Lee, MA. It's close to the appalachian trail and they have young's double chocolate stout on tap.

Ha ha!

1:08 p.m. on December 23, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,050 forum posts

I have neglected to mention my absolute favorite trail bar: Samak Stickies from Samak Smoke House in Kamas, Utah.

Once a year someone sends us a gift basket from Samak Smoke House, that includes two homemade Samak Stickies treats. I get first dibs on both. This weekend I had one from this year's basket. Yum.

Product Description: These home made granola bars are great and have a huge following. They are no bake treats loaded with peanut butter, honey, and granola. no preservatives. 2oz

3:08 a.m. on December 31, 2009 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

Larabars!

4:01 a.m. on December 31, 2009 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
70 forum posts

for me its nature valley they have so many diffrent flavors.

8:22 p.m. on January 1, 2010 (EST)
386 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Another vote for Clif bars. I just discovered them recently and they were actually, dare I say GOOD.

9:45 p.m. on January 1, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Welcome TNHiker70,

Okay, I'm assuming the TN stands for Tennessee, correct me if I'm wrong.

Are you a Volunteer? (TN Vols.)

I hike a lot in TN, used to live there. My avatar was taken near Soddy Daisey TN, in a river gorge the Monday after Christmas.

I like Cliff bars too, my favorite is Oatmeal, Raisin, Walnut.

11:18 a.m. on January 2, 2010 (EST)
386 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Yes TN is for Tennessee, but not the Vols! I am near Jackson, TN just moved from Memphis. I do some backpacking in the Boston Mountains in Arkansas (Ozarks). One of my favorite places is the Richland Creek Wilderness... very remote and primitive.

2:20 p.m. on January 2, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

That's cool, Richland Creek is an area I have not been to, I understand it's about 11,000 acres or so of Ozark fun.

7:41 a.m. on January 11, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,050 forum posts

In case anyone missed it, you can now review trail bars and all other sorts of trail food and drink: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/food/

Backpacking Meals
Recovery Food and Sport Drinks
Coffee

If your favorite outdoor brand isn't listed, you can submit a review anyway, and we'll add it to the site.

4:15 p.m. on March 22, 2010 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

What I like most about the Clif bars is the taste and the wide variety........ and the price......we get them 10 for $10 on sale at Krogers.

Indeed, the fact that Clif bars are enjoying a bit of "mainstreaming" is a positive for the hiker. A buck a bar still isn't cheap, but it's better than some of the alternatives. It helps that they taste great as well!

I'm a big Clif Bar fan as well.

3:30 p.m. on May 19, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,050 forum posts

Olympia Granola trail bars are excellent!

Very delicious, though each bar has up to a whopping 400 calories in a 3-ounce bar, so you may need to share (or hike harder). Nor are they cheap at about $2.77 a bar.

I first tried them in January at Outdoor Retailer. They were so good I started telling people about them so they could go try a free sample.

I've had Almond Chocolate, Espresso Almond Chocolate, and Honey Almond. I'd like to try Chocolate Peanut and Mocha Turtle.

http://www.olympicgranola.com/

September 17, 2014
Quick Reply