Jerky

12:37 p.m. on March 27, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

Wanted a protein to take with me to Big Bend April 4th, something to snack on around lunch time without getting out a stove and heating water for food. With little to no water available on the South Rim 3 day hike, didn't want to take food in the pack that requires water to hydrate and eat.

So I bought a 3 lb Eye of Round Roast yesterday. It was the leanest cut of meat I could find.

Put it in the freezer for about an hour and then sliced it up. Marinated half of it overnight in a ziplock bag with soy, worcestershire, teriyaki, salt, pepper, onion powder, and cayenne pepper. Put it in the oven this morning on warm for 5 hours and just took it out a few minutes ago.

Based on the fact half of it is gone already, my girls must have liked it. Will make some more tomorrow. Hopefully there will be some to take on the trip.

2:38 p.m. on April 16, 2010 (EDT)
22 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

Sounds great. Will give this a shot.

Thanks!

7:17 a.m. on April 21, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Slice flank steak diagonally with the grain of the meat into very thin slices (If slightly frozen it slices more easily). Combine ingredients and marinate meat overnight or 12 hours. Be sure all pieces are covered (coated) with marinade. Drain excess marinade. Place meat on paper towels to soak up marinade. Meat should be squeezed as dry as possible in paper towels. Place individual pieces of meat on rack in oven at 140 to 160 degrees for seven to 12 hours, or until meat is dry throughout. Leave oven door ajar (slightly open) during the drying process. Meat can also be hung in the oven by placing a wooden toothpick in each piece and strung from the rack. Store finished jerky in an airtight container. It keeps for several months, but it is likely that it will be consumed by the master hunter, kids, or the cook within a few days.

9:35 p.m. on April 21, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
48 forum posts

An oven works ok but you might look into the Open Country 700 dehydrator (around $80). Does a better job on jerky than an oven; faster, doesn't "cook" the meat and handles all sorts of other dehydrating tasks (chili, sauces, fruits and veggies, etc).

Dehydrating is a great way to manage food costs and quality and encourages you to explore menu variety. It becomes an important and enjoyable part of the trip.

I've been using one for a long time and couldn't be happier with the Open Country product.

Drake

1:27 a.m. on April 28, 2010 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

I have found that London broils make a good jerky when wanting to make "jerky strips".

Also if you wanted to go for a more...well I don't know what to call it, but that thin, flat jerky you can get a the stores texture....try seasoning/marinating ground beef the same way [plenty of salt to kill bad stuff] and use a jerky gun (or as I usually do it, "roll it out" and cut it into strips then throw in the dehydrator. It turns out pretty good and is typically cheaper to make than from a better "cut" of meat. The fat content of the ground beef allows it to not get way too dry. I personally have a thing against using a "gun" that looks like is was intended to deliver Liquid Nails to some 2x4s.

D

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply