Ever make Pot luck or end trip soup/stew ...anybody?

3:17 p.m. on May 7, 2010 (EDT)
25 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

How many of you take what is left over from meals after the first or 2nd night out or just from the last meal on an extended trip combine it in the largest pot and have the designated camp cook wave there magic trekking pole over it and produce a hearty filling hot soup or stew? I made Pella soup and tuna stew, trout soup..stew wild fish stew I think the best was wild salmon stew in Alaska with left over dried peas, and potatoes fresh caught salmon a couple packs of Tasty bites Tandoori rice and Thai Lime pilaf and 2 bags of I think it was there Bombay potatoes simmered over a cedar wood fire while we fished and kept an eye on it to make sure no critter or bear decided to help them self to a bowl, But I digress ever make a pot of “stuff” with what you and or everyone else has left?

9:24 p.m. on May 7, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

We often do that, we never have the same recipe twice. Close sometimes, but not identical.

1:44 a.m. on May 16, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,242 reviewer rep
257 forum posts

I took a group of high school girls from church on a 4 day, 35 mile trip in the North Cascades. I had a girl whom we seriously mis-underestimated food for. So, on our last day, we were low on oatmeal, but we had our backup dinner food of dehydrated refries. We needed to stay focused to get on the trail, so we wound up hurrying the rehydration, so it was quite soupy (ok, it was downright runny), but the girls were up for an adventure...they threw some salsa packets into their cups, and stirred the over-wetted hot beans into their camp cups...

You would have thought I had whipped up a gourmet breakfast delight to serve company! I still have kids ask for it!

To be fair, for lunch, we stopped at a stream side, and broke out the peanut butter and almond butter, and a couple of the girls collected a couple of cups of wild blueberries and huckleberries. Well, we drizzled the honey over the berries that were resting comfortably on their bed of nut butter, in their tortilla wraps...best darned lunch I may have ever eaten...although one of the girls settled for a bacon, cheese, and peanut butter tortilla...

1:53 p.m. on May 16, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,080 forum posts

Actually I make pot luck at the end of every other day when hiking. What ever was left from the day before in my cook pot, gets mixed into whatever I am making the next day.

Was chicken with rice yesterday, now its spaghetti,rice,cheese,chicken and beef with home made sauce of pureed tomatoes,spinach,salt,pepper,sage and seasoning salt and sugar.

1:39 p.m. on May 17, 2010 (EDT)
25 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

that really sounds good!

I do the same around the house but on the 3rd day the pup's get to split it with thier kibbel

3:31 p.m. on May 17, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,080 forum posts

I have'nt yet any pup's. I would tho most like to get a young dod as my companion in the wilds. Perhaps this winter when I will be back home in the canyon woods. I have not had a pet in so long.

Such a beautiful picture you have Rescue Ranger on your profile.

3:28 p.m. on June 2, 2010 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

I took my grandsons out for a hike and made a soup they just loved. It had potatoes, carrots, onion, lima beans and squirrel meat. What I had done was pre-cooked it at home, and I only had a little more cooking to do on the camp fire. Now all they want to do is go for another hike...guess I accomplished my goal.

6:28 p.m. on June 3, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

I took my grandsons out for a hike and made a soup they just loved. It had potatoes, carrots, onion, lima beans and squirrel meat. What I had done was pre-cooked it at home, and I only had a little more cooking to do on the camp fire. Now all they want to do is go for another hike...guess I accomplished my goal.

Well shoot Mike, I, for one, vote that you post the recipe.

What would be a good substitute for squirrel? (Something I can get at the grocery store I mean.)

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply