Easy to make camp cutting board

11:39 p.m. on June 4, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,168 forum posts

I made my camp cutting board from the top of a used plastic bucket that laundry detergent came in. There are also exmayonaise and other restuarant things that come in plastic buckets. Little modification is needed to use the lid for a cutting board.

The ridge around this lid helps keep the food on it as you cut it. And the board is very lightweight at only a few ounces.

The bucket is also useful in camp for things like a seat,a ice chest, a water bucket and I also use them for caching food in the backcountry to ease having to carry so much for extended trip. They are rodent proof but not bear proof.

I have also made the buckets with the lids into bicycle panniers.

These two were mayonaise buckets in their past lives. Restuarants often give them away or sell them for cheap. Most go thru about 10 a week.

2:31 a.m. on August 26, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,339 reviewer rep
259 forum posts

I bought a double pack of roll up plastic cutting boards. They are really flexible. I take jsut one, and have the other as a backup. In fact, I discovered that the cutting board stuffed in the back of the external frame backpack made a nice barrier for the hard pokey stuff from stabbing me in the back :) So, it too had a dual function for about 2 oz worth of material.

6:06 p.m. on August 26, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,485 forum posts

I'm glad this topic came up. On my camping trip to the Lake last weekend I was again reminded of how sand gets everywhere no matter how hard you try to keep it to a minimum. Trip report here.

So a cutting board is something I'll be taking on trips to provide a work surface while doing food prep & cooking.

In the mountains I always had a flat rock for a work surface, but you can't hardly find rocks in the coastal plain where I live now.

I used to hike with a guy who used a Frisbee for a plate & cutting board....and for a Frisbee.

7:21 p.m. on August 26, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,339 reviewer rep
259 forum posts

Our youth pastor does exactly that...I have threatened to do the same, but I find that I am not as "quick on my feet" playing frisbee as I was, oh, 30 years ago! :)

1:09 p.m. on October 18, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

I take my Orikaso dinner plate and use it for a cutting board (unless I''m preparing raw fish or meat. It weighs nearly nothing, folds flat, gives me 10" square of cutting surface, and has nice 1 1/4" side walls to keep everything in place. I use a rollup cutting board when raw meats/fish are in the mix.

3:50 p.m. on October 18, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,168 forum posts

The only thing one has to be catuois about with raw fish or poultry is the Salmonella factor. Both fish and chicken leave bacteria in the cutting grovves which if not properly sanitised can mix into the next meat cut and cause the Salmonella. I used to work at a Red Lobster that had green cutting boards for vegys and fruit, red ones for beef, pink ones for fish/crab and lobster and yellow ones for poultry. Outdoors there is usually little that will kill the bacteria.

4:55 p.m. on October 18, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

True that. I have used antibacterial wipes and purel with a rinse afterwards. Has worked so far, but I may just be lucky to this point.

6:16 a.m. on October 19, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

True that. I have used antibacterial wipes and purel with a rinse afterwards. Has worked so far, but I may just be lucky to this point.

I take a small vial of bleach for all my kitchen hygene purposes. Cheap, and versitile. You can even use it to sterilize a wound, but it does sting like the devil.

Ed

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply