About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

The ultimate Backcountry cooking utensils?

8:34 p.m. on October 17, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

Okay my fellow Trailspacers, it's my first new topic post, but often times it's the smallest of items that really makes the difference on one's backcountry trips.

For me, it's the Guyot Designs Microbites. I had researched and touched practically every cooking/eating utensil available. The versatility, durablity, ergonomics, value, and lightness of this little set made it the easy choice. Amazingly, I seem to be the only one with experience using them. So, what do you use, what do you consider the "ultimate utensil", and does anyone else out there have these? I just believe that brilliant designs and executions deserve recognition and I hope others can benefit as well.

10:25 p.m. on October 17, 2010 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

XB, you should do a gear review.

I always carry and use a long handled titanium spoon and love it. It's especially nice when eating out of "cook-in bag", keeps my fingers from getting messy. I also sometimes carry a lexan fork but don't really need it often. Most of the time a spoon is all I need.

10:42 p.m. on October 17, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
476 reviewer rep
283 forum posts

I use the Sea to Summit long handle aluminum spoon. It's only 0.3 ounce and cheaper than a titanium one. Like Gary, I rarely carry a fork. (But always carry a knife.)

10:44 p.m. on October 17, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

Thanks for the input, Gary. I love titanium, My mtb is almost all titanium. I just got my first Ti cookset. I was so close to buying a Ti utensil, and then realized that this set is two pieces and almost as light. Not as long as your spoon though. Here's my review:

Rating:
Price Paid: 3.95

I already own the standard sized version of this set, but for solo trips I thought this would be a better choice. I figured correctly.

total weight (varified) is .78 oz, and for the number of functions provided in the set, there is nothing lighter on the market. The two pieces snap together and are safe to put in your pack without worry of damage from poking through or abrasions. It is also easy to attach to your pack's exterior with a small carabiner. There is no extra weight of a case, no metallic clanking sound if it's on the outside of your pack.

As for functionality, the fork section of the fork works perfectly, and the spoon section is deeper dished than most others that I've tried. The real beauty of this set is in the other piece: a knife that cuts most anything well, a spatula, a spreader, and a scraper all in one. This set can do it all...even the holes in the handle allow you to use as a wisk.

As a testament to its durability, I have used one of the larger versions of this set to move hot BBQ coals around for sustained amounts of time, and only burned one edge slightly...performance is unaffected and the carbon burning wiped off. Reportedly handles up to 450 deg F. Nothing sticks to this surface, and it is the actually a carbon negative product-the most environmentally friendly camping product you can buy. I have purchased many products for the outdoors over the years, and this one of the best designed and executed items I've ever seen. Absolutely recommended, and without peer...particularly for the price.

10:45 p.m. on October 17, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

Like you, Gary, I would probably take only the Spork portion if I was intending to eat meals from the bag...even lighter!

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply