Paleo/Primal Diet

11:10 p.m. on February 3, 2011 (EST)
19 reviewer rep
160 forum posts

I'm just curious if there is anyone here who practices the paleo/primal diet and wondering how that effects your backpacking.

12:57 a.m. on February 4, 2011 (EST)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

To be honest, I had never heard of it until now.  Just got done looking into it a little bit...pretty interesting.  Not only does it look healthy but it looks TASTY!

2:55 a.m. on February 4, 2011 (EST)
19 reviewer rep
160 forum posts

Oh it is tasty! Starting my new business last year and getting married I gained 30lbs and became pretty unhappy. I stumbled onto Marksdailyapple.com via a blog I was reading and ended up impulse buying via Amazon his book. But I'm hooked. I made the decision on that we would give this lifestyle a try for the next 28 days. We're more on the Primal diet becuase the full Paleo excludes basic fats and oils.

Anyone wonder, the premise is this, NO GRAINS, NO PROCESSED FOOD, you get your carbs from veggies and fruits, and eat lots of meat. Basically eat like a caveman. 

I was just curious if anyone here was on this path and had insights about food storage and meals for trips.

I might be a little gun ho, I've only been on this a week, but I feel freaking amazing!!!! =)

12:38 p.m. on February 4, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
50 forum posts

I have been trying to follow it for 6-months now.  Seems to pair well with my 1-yr. switch to a Gluten-free diet.  I am not gluten reactive, but try to follow.

As for the Palo & Gluten free approach, you quickly learn how to quickly look at a food item and say . . . . "processed-or-human0made, Gluten or not?"

3:03 p.m. on February 4, 2011 (EST)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

Mike, I would guess you could probably dehydrate a lot of your food and take it on the trail with you.  Dehydrating is pretty easy and fruit, veggies, and meat dry very nicely...think a big ol' bag of beef (or turkey) jerky!

4:52 p.m. on February 4, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
601 forum posts

don't get me started on diets...it's seriously a waste of time, effort, money, and most of them just seem so pretentious and snobby to me. I know some people who are on the paleo and it's beyond annoying. They had a dinner the other night that didn't meet their "paleo requirements" so she fasted for 2 days to make up for it. It's an absolute joke and they are so into it that it makes me hate hanging around them.

All diets are a crock of BS. They are fads that are created by people looking to take money from a group of folks who want to change their body image to fit a certain lifestyle.

cavemen didn't follow a diet, they just ate whatever they could get their hands on to stay alive. The reason we have so many obese and unhealthy people in this world NOW, is because everything is amped up with additives and nutrients, and the cheapest foods are the most unhealthy. Combine that with hard economic times, and you've got a recipe for disastrous health concerns.

all you need to do is make healthy choices, exercise, and eat small appropriate portions for your lifestyle, medical history, and body type.

there's no appropriate and inappropriate places to receive carbs, there's no inappropriate or appropriate places to get fats, or oils or vitamins, or anything. Eat a healthy, BALANCED diet and you don't need  to worry about anything else.

i adhere to NO diet - I simply make healthy choices, work out frequently, and occasionally splurge on the good stuff. 

5:42 p.m. on February 4, 2011 (EST)
19 reviewer rep
160 forum posts

Well thank you for that epic opinion piece. Although I almost agree with the majority of it.  I'm not really following the Paleo diet, but the Primal lifestyle. Which suggests what you already stated, cave men didn't have a diet, they ate plants and animals and did so when they where hungry.

Luckily no one has taken any of my  money. Except uncle sam, every time I make more he seems to want more without doing anything, doesn't seem fair to me, but I digress.

6:00 p.m. on February 4, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
601 forum posts

good to hear Mike. To each his own, but I'm not really sure the point of limiting where you get your carbs from, or the point of limiting carbs at all really. 

Any licensed dietician will tell you to eat a balanced diet to make your body the healthiest it can be. This is the best method of getting the nutrients, minerals, and vitamins your body needs to work. All other diets, personal case studies, and individual results aren't necessarily about health, they're about looks. And even then, the reason diets are used to influence looks is because people are typically unwilling to be patient and work hard so that they achieve the looks they want while being on a normal diet, so they limit their diet in some way to try and speed it up.

Again, to each his own, but health wise, a normal diet can't be beaten. You may not be doing it for looks, but loads of folks do, and there needs to be a point where we care more about our health, and less about the mirror.

Rant done.  :-)

1:41 a.m. on February 5, 2011 (EST)
19 reviewer rep
160 forum posts

Science also taught 50 years ago blacks where inferior to whites, I'm sorry but I'm a healthy skeptic.

Balanced meal is pretty funny when you consider how many times that's been revised.

Thanks for the chuckle. I almost peed my pants reading what you wrote.

4:46 a.m. on February 5, 2011 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Diets, Hmmm!  Everyone makes this all too much work!  Look, there are only two food groups, pizza and beer; everything else is dietary supplements.  It's simple, stop messing with perfection.

Ed

9:43 a.m. on February 5, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
50 forum posts

I do use dried fruits and vegi, and dried "low sodium" meats. I have a local fruit market that sells "vegi-chips" that are careful of sodium, fats, etc.

I am VERY healthy, very LOW body/fat weight levels.  And, my doctors (blood, nutri, dentist, bone-density, cancer) all keep a detailed file on me.  As a 55-yr old, I do periodic cancer screening to assure skin & other cancers are not "getting me."

As for the Palo diet, I too agree that the word "diet" is not correct, but "eating habit" is more correct. 

Just that my wife is tired to me "clubbing & dragging" her around the house and out doing our weekend tasks in town.

6:54 a.m. on February 7, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
601 forum posts

What science was it that said blacks and whites were different. Could you specify, provide peer reviewed articles, links of any kind? No. You can't. Because it's not true, you just don't like to read what I wrote. No respectable, true science EVER said that blacks were inferior to whites, and the fact that you are comparing a tragedy like racism to me "insulting" your fad diet of choice speaks volumes.

The same science that now better understands diet and how our body works, also helps you when you're sick. If you go to a hospital when you are ill, then what you just wrote makes you hypocritical.

Typical fan of fad diets being defensive when defending it.

Thanks for the chuckle.

11:26 a.m. on February 7, 2011 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,612 reviewer rep
1,248 forum posts

Now if I could just get this beard to grow out.  Any good reviews on clubs?

3:26 p.m. on February 7, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

I only eat sustainable raw fish, which I catch with my teeth. Oh, and wild mushrooms.

;) 

6:22 p.m. on February 7, 2011 (EST)
2,430 reviewer rep
5,314 forum posts

Diets, Hmmm!  Everyone makes this all too much work!  Look, there are only two food groups, pizza and beer; everything else is dietary supplements.  It's simple, stop messing with perfection.

Ed

Wrong, Ed! The basic food groups are fat, sugar, caffeine, and chocolate. Pizza and beer meet the fat and sugar requirements (although the beer came via fermentation of starches and sugars). But if you omit the chocolate on Feb 14, you will suffer serious penalties for chocolate deficiency.

A bit more seriously, I find it curious that the paleo diet avoids grains and that the websites referenced claim that paleo humans did not have grain in their diet, despite all the evidence that archaeologists and anthropologists have found (including in caves occupied by both Neanderthal and CroMagnon, as well as earlier pre-Homo Sapiens hominids).

6:33 p.m. on February 7, 2011 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

A bit more seriously, I find it curious that the paleo diet avoids grains and that the websites referenced claim that paleo humans did not have grain in their diet, despite all the evidence that archaeologists and anthropologists have found (including in caves occupied by both Neanderthal and CroMagnon, as well as earlier pre-Homo Sapiens hominids).

Either that or we or we are all wrong about what all those mortar and pedestal grinding sites were for.  As for the residual grain, perhaps it was for their pets:)

Ed

7:43 p.m. on February 7, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
601 forum posts

Bill,

You bring up excellent points about this diet. There is something sketchy about it's founders and what they are claiming "science" has found. It is literally nothing but a fad diet, and has no true scientific evidence that it is better for you or healthier than a traditional diet.

By traditional diet I mean burgers, fries, beer, ice cream, and pizza of course.

7:01 a.m. on February 8, 2011 (EST)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

Some pretty heavy opinions on diet here...

Most people can pretty much eat what they want, and as long as they lead a healthy/active lifestyle should remain healthy in general.

Sage: as for clubs, I find that hardwoods make a pretty decent one (I like mine made of hickory).

1:10 p.m. on February 8, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
50 forum posts

Watch out for the Palo referees, as they monitor for "corked clubs", using National & American League Baseball standards for bats.

You have good points on the Palo science base.  The Gluten-Free aspect of my "switch" is I feel, good to follow.  My doctors are monitoring the potential of Celiac Disease.  And a non-diary removal in my eating is helping to eliminate potential impact on my nutrition imbalance.

4:52 p.m. on February 8, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
601 forum posts

Celiac disease, other allergies, or food related reactions are a great reason to change your diet Cal-ee-for-nia.

4:11 p.m. on February 10, 2011 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Eat healthy and excercise is my motto. I also cook with my kids to teach them healthy habits. No carb diets is a bad idea, because the brain cannot function correctly without it. Dieting is important topic for our country and I feel that everybody's opinion so far is important. This is an important topic, Yet, this thread made me feel a little uncomfortable and offended with the race remark. That was very bad comparison to dieting. As a member of the educational field, I never heard of a true scientific study on race superiority other then in 1940's Germany.. I would prefer a ban on racist remarks and comparisons, then a ban on gun topics (which has come up on feedback forum). Alicia or Dave?

5:57 p.m. on February 10, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
601 forum posts

Ddog, 

I think the OP was merely trying to say that science doesn't always prove to be accurate or perfect, and I understood what he was getting at. The problem, however, is that the "sciences" that sought out to prove that blacks were inferior to whites, were not sciences at all. They were psuedosciences, otherwise known as fake sciences.

1:21 p.m. on February 11, 2011 (EST)
2,430 reviewer rep
5,314 forum posts

...Yet, this thread made me feel a little uncomfortable and offended with the race remark. That was very bad comparison to dieting. As a member of the educational field, I never heard of a true scientific study on race superiority other then in 1940's Germany.. I would prefer a ban on racist remarks and comparisons, ...

Actually, D-Dog, the Trailspace Community Rules and Guidelines do cover racist and other offensive remarks. In this case, as iClimb notes, the "scientific" studies that "proved" superiority of some ethnic groups over others were pseudoscience, mostly in the late 19th Century. The "scientific studies" in Germany in the 1930s and 1940s (done under the Nazi regime) were also pseudoscience, as were claims made in the 1950s by a certain Nobel Prize winner (William Shockley) who got his prize for the transistor - he was a physicist with no background in biology or anthropology.

The remark in one of mikekey's posts you refer to was worded poorly (one of the major flaws of the Internet), though I believe that most people understood what was intended - not all that is stated in the name of "Science" is the result of controlled, refereed scientific studies. There is a huge amount of misinformation, misinterpretation, and actual findings from scientific studies taken out of context and distorted by non-scientists, pseudoscientists, crackpots, and even some who are indeed scientists, but are making statements that are in areas far from their field of expertise (as in Shockley's case).

I might reword mikekey's statement to read, "50 years ago, some people claimed in the name of Science  that blacks were inferior to whites, I'm sorry but I'm a healthy skeptic." Claiming it is "science" does not make it scientifically correct. Note that mikekey stated that he is skeptical of such claims.

5:00 a.m. on February 12, 2011 (EST)
52 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

I know someone who started on the "Okinawa Diet" after watching Oprah. Hoping to improve herself all round, she ended up with seaweed and stuff instead of food she enjoyed, so it didn't last long. I think I saw a tin of 'squid chunks in ink' though I could be mistaken.

It would have been easier to move to the freaking islands. And so far, she hasn't outlived me, so I was right.

12:29 p.m. on February 15, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
50 forum posts

I use various seaweeds, moss, kelp for my Calcium focused meals.  I look for the highest calcium levels.  There are so many varieties.

Throw in shrimp, sardines (with bone), unsweetened coconut chips, diced onions, red zany currents, spices, diced banana, Black Strap Molasses.  Finish up with a 1/4 cup of  ground almonds, pumpkin seed, and sunflower seed, 

Heat up with a low-sodium chicken broth for 1.20 minutes, let the seaweed/moss/kelp re-hydrate for a minute

. . . and melts in your mouth!

2:56 p.m. on February 15, 2011 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

I am game for whomeworry's diet for just this weekend-beer and pizza. I am going to be hiking uphill in Dahn, which is littered with castles along the French/German border and really strange, tall rock formations. 50 Kilometers uphill hike. Rock and Roll!!! http://www.verkehrsverein-suedwestpfalz.de

5:45 p.m. on February 16, 2011 (EST)
19 reviewer rep
160 forum posts

...Yet, this thread made me feel a little uncomfortable and offended with the race remark. That was very bad comparison to dieting. As a member of the educational field, I never heard of a true scientific study on race superiority other then in 1940's Germany.. I would prefer a ban on racist remarks and comparisons, ...

Actually, D-Dog, the Trailspace Community Rules and Guidelines do cover racist and other offensive remarks. In this case, as iClimb notes, the "scientific" studies that "proved" superiority of some ethnic groups over others were pseudoscience, mostly in the late 19th Century. The "scientific studies" in Germany in the 1930s and 1940s (done under the Nazi regime) were also pseudoscience, as were claims made in the 1950s by a certain Nobel Prize winner (William Shockley) who got his prize for the transistor - he was a physicist with no background in biology or anthropology.

The remark in one of mikekey's posts you refer to was worded poorly (one of the major flaws of the Internet), though I believe that most people understood what was intended - not all that is stated in the name of "Science" is the result of controlled, refereed scientific studies. There is a huge amount of misinformation, misinterpretation, and actual findings from scientific studies taken out of context and distorted by non-scientists, pseudoscientists, crackpots, and even some who are indeed scientists, but are making statements that are in areas far from their field of expertise (as in Shockley's case).

I might reword mikekey's statement to read, "50 years ago, some people claimed in the name of Science  that blacks were inferior to whites, I'm sorry but I'm a healthy skeptic." Claiming it is "science" does not make it scientifically correct. Note that mikekey stated that he is skeptical of such claims.

Thank you Bill, that is what I was attempting to confer.

It seems every day their is "new" evidence and new science that is always changing. I think a healthy amount of skepticism is necessary in anything. 

I also just wanted to relate that some things that seem like complete nonsense to us today, where in fact believed as science and/or fact once upon a time. Piltdown man anyone.

The main point is, this makes sense for me, especially when it comes to proccessed foods.

I agree with skepticism of the grains subject brought up by a few other members. 

But think we can all agree that even though a twinkie won't kill you, it probably really isn't that good for you.

12:09 p.m. on February 17, 2011 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

There's a theory out there that our diets should reflect our ethic backgrounds, i.e. central Europeans should incorporate more grains and red meats that say someone from a coastal population. 

Smaller portions, less processed foods and more exercise would help most of us...

October 25, 2014
Quick Reply