PIF: Mens Lowa Banff Boots, 10.5

1:03 a.m. on November 6, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,064 forum posts

My PIF rules:

1. The item offered below is free but you must pay shipping
2. You must also "Pay it Forward" by posting something free (must be worth the cost of shipping).
3. Your "Pay it Forward" offer must come with the same terms as this one.
4. Your "Pay it Forward" buyer must also post their own "Pay it Forward" item.
5. Your "Pay it Forward" buyer must also require the next buyer to post their own "Pay it Forward" item (copy and paste these rules into your PIF post).

Gently used all leather (one piece!) non-goretex Banffs, size 10.5, narrow (B) width. These are in great shape with a few hundred miles on them, but lots of tread left in the Vibram soles. These are completely waterproof (do-a-jig-in-a-stream waterproof), and have been regularly treated with Nikwax grease to keep them that way. Who needs Gore-tex?? Full leather liners+no goretex=no sweaty feet!! I have a narrow heel, a high arch, and an overall low-volume foot, and these fit me very well with a SOLE insole and 1/8" shims. The shims are included; the insoles aren’t.

DSCN0056.jpg

These can be resoled, and will last you decades with proper care and maintenance. They are built for extended off-trail trekking, and work well in all but the absolute coldest and hottest conditions. I've trekked through 8" of snow in these boots in perfect comfort, and they are equally at home in 90+degree summer heat. I hate to part with them because it took me quite a long time to find this kind of fit, but my hiking style and pack weights have changed since I bought them, and they are simply overkill for my current needs.

DSCN0055.jpg

They were used mostly for work duties during a summer spent marking trees in Pine blowdown for the Forest Service in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, which is why they look as they do. As the pictures show, there is some blue paint splatter on them; this will come off fully if you want to scrub hard enough. Otherwise, I just figured regular use would wear it off.

DSCN0059.jpg

After scuffing up the toes a bit walking through the heavy slash, I decided to perform a couple of upgrades. The toe area has been reinforced with a thick layer of “Shoe Goo” to prevent further degradation of the front leather when walking through heavy brush or talus. Also, I’ve replaced the shoe laces with military-spec, 5-strand, 550 cord, fusing the ends.

DSCN0057-2-.jpg

These modifications, while not the most pretty to look at, will be noticed by the experienced user as effectively increasing the longevity, durability, and utility of the boots. Wear on the toe area has all but stopped, with no decrease in the flexibility of the boot while walking. These Urethane toe caps, combined with the full rands, provide a great deal of abrasion resistance.

DSCN0062.jpg

These boots excel in any type of field work. I have used them with great success in winter conditions. They have a rear welt, and thus, are compatible with semi-automatic crampons. They work quite well with snowshoes also. They are very well-made, sturdy boots. They would make a perfect hunting boot, farm boot, or fire boot. I wouldn’t wear them to Sunday Church.

My PIF rules:

1. The item offered above is free but you must pay shipping
2. You must also "Pay it Forward" by posting something free (must be worth the
cost of shipping).
3. Your "Pay it Forward" offer must come with the same terms as this one.
4. Your "Pay it Forward" buyer must also post their own "Pay it Forward" item.
5. Your "Pay it Forward" buyer must also require the next buyer to post their
own "Pay it Forward" item (copy and paste these rules into your PIF post).

1:12 p.m. on November 6, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Really,  these boots are still here?  These things still have years and years left in  them.  Along with the fact that pillow really takes care of his gear.  How can it be in this day and age that yoiu can't even give away boots such as this, my oh my, it is a different world than I grew up in.

1:57 p.m. on November 6, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,064 forum posts

You're telling me...

4:52 p.m. on November 7, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I would take 'em for myself in a heart beat if I could wear 10.5, but alas, I am a 9 :(

Pillow, would it be an acceptable use of PIF to get these for one of my younger brothers who badly needs boots?

If so I would like to do that

9:12 p.m. on November 7, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,064 forum posts

Certainly! If you'll Paypal $15 (USPS Large Flat Rate Box) to pillowthread@yahoo.com, I'll have them out in a day or two. If you transfer the funds as a personal gift, Paypal won't take their 3% transaction fee.

9:56 p.m. on November 7, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Awesome, I can't wait to hook them up with the boots. I will send the paypal as soon as I have a moment, and laso PM you my address. 

Thanks! 

7:56 a.m. on November 8, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

pillowthread Sorry you couldn't sell your boots but thanks for getting involved with PIF. Sounds like their going to a good home which will use them.

2:13 p.m. on November 8, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Paypal sent and PM with address as well

10:39 a.m. on December 1, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Are the boots still available? If so I would love to get them!

11:15 a.m. on December 1, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,064 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace hikeeric; the boots are already out of my possession.

August 23, 2014
Quick Reply