vietnam era military internal frame backpack

11:52 a.m. on December 15, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

I have a large military backpack. I would guess 8 to 10 k cu. I also have the vest or harness that goes with it. It is a monster, heavy and huge. You can carry huge loads with this monster. My friend carried 85 pounds up a local mtn several times training before bootcamp. It is extremely comfortable. I would never get rid of it, but I've had a total knee replacement and I have to make everything lighter. I have no idea what it is worth. If someone is looking for a truly bombproof pack to carry everything including the kitchen sink,bathtub,etc this is the one. If anyone is interested or has any information about packs from this era I will try to get some pics posted. Truly a almost indestructable pack I've had it almost twenty years and have never had any issues with it. I hate to see it go but I have my eye on a dd astroplane on my local Craigslist list. I googled everything I could think of and could not find another pack like this one anywhere. Thanks for any help or interest in this pack. Mark

5:21 p.m. on December 17, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

Might help your case if you post some pictures of the pack. I can't think of a single m;litary internal frame pack from that time frame from any military. Most were still using external frames.

5:31 a.m. on December 18, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

I will post some Monday or Tuesday. My laptop is in the shop til then. I'm using my phone for now. It is a us military pack. It is not a traditional external frame but not a true internal either. I don't know what u would call it. Kind of a hybrid of both styles. It a really rugged pack, just too heavy for me. Having a total knee replacement is making me shave weight anywhere I can. Thanks for the input, ill post pics as soon as I can. Mark

8:51 a.m. on December 19, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

Is it just a medium or small ALICE pack without the external frame? It was common to use the medium and small without a frame.

11:09 a.m. on December 19, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

No it has vertical metal stays like a internal frame. It is way bigger than any Alice pack I have ever seen. It has a sleeping bag compartment,a main compartment. Three or four side pockets and a top pocket on the lid secured with velcro. I haven't been able to find one like it in any surplus store or on the internet. I should be able to post pics today. Hopefully you or someone on this site will know what it is. Thanks Mark

11:30 a.m. on December 19, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

I almost forgot it also has a vest that goes under it and provides more padding for heavy loads. The vest has many pouches that look like they were designed for m-16 mags. I know less than nothing about military packs, so I can only go with what I have seen. It could be anything including a Alice pack but I don't think so. Mark

1:31 p.m. on December 19, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

I just got a reply from a email I sent two weeks ago. My pack is a field pack large with internal frame.(FPLIF) it replaces the Alice pack for marines in the field. That is what the website says anyway. I'll stool try to post the pics tonite. I was pretty close on the size it says 6800 plus 2200 for the top pocket. The top pocket doesn't seem that big tho. It has four side pockets each with a strap that closes the pocket and acts as a compression strap. Kinda neat design, doing two jobs at once is always a plus for me. This thing has tons of webbing on the front and lots of places to hand gear. At least I found out what it is. Thanks, mark

5:52 p.m. on December 20, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

Oh, the CFP-90. It's not vietnam era, thats what was throwing me for a loop. It's also known as the IILF (individual integrated fighting system). Built in the 1990s for the most part. Think first issue was 1988.

Good pack, all be it heavy.

6:01 p.m. on December 20, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

When we say heavy what are we talking here on this pack? I'm just curious. My Argon 85 weighs in at over 6lbs. 

8:21 p.m. on December 20, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,571 forum posts

TheRambler said:

Oh, the CFP-90. It's not vietnam era, thats what was throwing me for a loop. It's also known as the IILF (individual integrated fighting system). Built in the 1990s for the most part. Think first issue was 1988.

Good pack, all be it heavy.

That's what I was thinking. I mean, it's the only one I could think of that matched the description, I used one for a couple years backpacking. Before that I had an ALICE pack. Before that I had a small military pack with a flat metal X frame that dug into my back like a walking crucifixion.

11:15 p.m. on December 20, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
398 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

When we say heavy what are we talking here on this pack? I'm just curious. My Argon 85 weighs in at over 6lbs. 

I believe they're 8-9LBs.

12:00 a.m. on December 21, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Ouch

7:46 a.m. on December 22, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

Yeah like 8.5lbs or so. Keep in mind these are made to carry loads of up to 120lbs, with an ideal carry weight of 75lbs. Designed for carrying long range patrol equipment and all your combat gear and ammo. That weight adds up fast!

Even the modern replacement the ILBE pack weighs like 7.5lbs and can carry 120lbs. I routinely carried close to a hundred pounds in mine in Afghanistan.

2:00 p.m. on December 22, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
398 forum posts

Considering the context of this pack, I'd find 8.5LBs to be darn efficient.  The biggest professional series Dana Design and Osprey packs were in that same weight area.  The ILBEs are loaded with strapping and snaps and rubber handles and all kinds of stuff that you wouldn't see on a recreational pack.  I believe the Dana Loadmaster external series packs were all 8-9LBs.  Like was said, you have to have sturdy structure to haul the weight.

December 27, 2014
Quick Reply