For Sale MSR Hubba

4:33 p.m. on April 15, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

I have a msr hubba and foot print used only to nights. Like New.  $200 Shipped.

3:17 a.m. on April 16, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

I own one of these.  A good 3 season solo shelter.  The fly goes all the way to the ground, while the vestibule provides a dry entry, and sheds wind and water well.  This shelter is free standing, except for the end of the vestibule, which requires one stake point.  If you batten down all the hatches, the inside of the fly will collect condensation, but prove to be a minor issue.  Condensation can be managed by unzipping the vestibule just a smidge, or loosening the attachment points where the fly unites with the tent poles.  You should upgrade the tent stakes; the ones MSR provides are formed from metal rod, and subject to pull out under a good wind.  Also you will want to provide a handful of additional stakes to facilitate guy line tie down for stiffer winds. 

The main attributes I like about this shelter is it comfortably accommodates my sleeping bag (I am 5'11"; however, 6' and taller may find this shelter to be short), has enough head room to kneel upright on knees, and is a good rain shelter.  While the vestibule provides a dry entry to the shelter, I would not consider it big enough to store my pack without crowding the entryway, but it is big enough that you can transfer the essentials you need for the night to the vestibule, and still have plenty of room to enter/leave the tent.  If you are looking for a shelter to ride out a passing rain storm, or bugs, this is a goodie; but those looking for a zero day shelter to hole up in under successive days of bad weather would probably desire something with more interior elbow room, or augment with a small dining fly to stretch out under.  I would buy the Hubba again if I had to make the choice all over.

Ed

6:17 p.m. on April 16, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

Thanks for the post Ed!

11:04 a.m. on April 22, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

msr-hubba-001.jpgMSR Pics.

11:05 a.m. on April 22, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

msr-hubba-004.jpgPics.

11:06 a.m. on April 22, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

msr-hubba-007.jpgPics. Foot print.

11:10 a.m. on April 22, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts
Re: For Sale MSR Hubba with pics.

three r said:

I have a msr hubba and foot print used only to nights. Like New.  $200 Shipped.

1:39 p.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,259 forum posts

If I didn't already have my Copper Spur UL 1 I'd be tempted by this.  I like how the door on the MSR is a more sensible side-open rather than Big Agnes' rainbow-shape, zipping down so the material flops in the mud.  Other than that they look very similar - good tent! 

1:50 p.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

bheiser1 said:

If I didn't already have my Copper Spur UL 1 I'd be tempted by this.  I like how the door on the MSR is a more sensible side-open rather than Big Agnes' rainbow-shape, zipping down so the material flops in the mud.  Other than that they look very similar - good tent! 

I never really have a problem with my door flopping into the mud on my CS 1. It normally tends to fall inside the tent. 

1:59 p.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,259 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

I never really have a problem with my door flopping into the mud on my CS 1. It normally tends to fall inside the tent. 

I make it do that too, but it takes extra care to make it so.  

My biggest gripe with the door isn't that though.  It's that in order to get in/out you need to open it most of the way across the tent.  Especially when the fly is in place, it's a pretty awkward move - and having that much of the door open for that long is an open invitation to insects.

2:03 p.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Personally, I would rather unzip the door all the way. 

My reason for that is if you don't and lets say you snag or stress the door when entering/exiting the shelter it may potentially put unnecessary stress on the zipper teeth which could result in damage of said teeth. 

Then you have a zipper failure on trail.

4:38 p.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

Glad Ed posted about height... I've been looking at these.  But, sounds like they will be a little short.  

For the record, MSR's customer service is superlative.  Anyone who buys this tent should know that they will be backed by one of the best in the business in my opinion (not affiliated with them in any way).

6:19 p.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,259 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Personally, I would rather unzip the door all the way. 

My reason for that is if you don't and lets say you snag or stress the door when entering/exiting the shelter.

Actually I agree with this.  But my point is that a door style like on the MSR Hubba (where it opens to the side) makes it easier to open than a style like the CS1 where you need to crawl thru the tiny opening under the fly to reach the other end.

I'd still buy the CS1 again, but my preference would be a different door style.

6:53 p.m. on April 28, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

big guys beware...... these things are horribly small for us big guys.

8:19 a.m. on April 29, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

Thanks Mark, for help on this sale! They do have a tent review section on this site. Maybe you should post your coments there.  

4:14 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

What year is this one?  It looks like a pre-2009?

Any issues with fly delamination?  I know that MSR changed out the coatings on the fly and floors when they went to the Green versions because of delamination.

http://www.hermitshut.com/msrhufalite.html

The new 2012 version for $224 FWIW.

8:11 p.m. on May 2, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

Family Guy said:

What year is this one?  It looks like a pre-2009?

Any issues with fly delamination?  I know that MSR changed out the coatings on the fly and floors when they went to the Green versions because of delamination.

http://www.hermitshut.com/msrhufalite.html

The new 2012 version for $224 FWIW.

Delimitation was an issue.  MSR replaced my fly, four years after purchase, no questions asked.

Ed

1:29 p.m. on May 3, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

Family guy, no fly problems this tent only been used 2 nights. 224 looks like no foot print with that price? Ron.

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply