FS: Galibier Peuterey boots size 11/Outdoor Research X-gaiters (XL)

3:49 p.m. on June 12, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

I am newly registered on this website, but many of you may know my eBay username: observationhill.  I frequently buy and sell both vintage and contemporary gear on eBay.  I would encourage you to check my 100% positive feedback.  In any transaction I always believe in the Golden Rule and would rather not make a penny than have the buyer be less than satisfied.

I decided not to list these boots and supergaiters on eBay because of their less-than-pristine condition.  However, they are still fully functional, and they need a new home, as I bought the boots perhaps 8 years ago and haven't worn them in the mountains a single day since then!  My adventures don't require a heavy mountaineering boot any more.

The Peuterey, as you fellow old-timers know, is the little brother to the Super Guide.  It has a modest amount of flex at the toe, and a lower scree collar, so a bit more comfortable for walking.  It is still stiff enough for front-pointing.  It is less flexible and therefore less ideal for high-mileage backpacking than the Vercors, the next boot in the old Galibier line-up. These are a men's size 11, and in my opinion the sizing is true.

Condition notes: Leather is still healthy.  The linings are soft and no cracking.  Foam padding still lively.  Soles are only lightly worn, with minimal rounding at heel and toe.  Laces are not original.  PROBLEMS TO NOTE: 1) many of the d-rings have surface rust.  2) The sealant used on the welts has turned tacky with age.  I've tried to clean this a couple of times, but the problem remains.  3) Soles are dirty.  4)Name and initials are written inside both boots.

As to the Outdoor Research X-gaiters:  I'm basically tossing these in as a freebie.  Size XL; they fit the boots.  Closed-cell foam insulation.  PROBLEMS TO NOTE: crampon snag in Goretex upper, and multiple cuts to the Cordura lower.  Some of the Velcro came unstitched and was unattractively repaired with Shoe Goo.  The sticky welt sealant from the Peutereys has rubbed off inside the gaiter welt.  These are ugly but like the boots are fully servicable.

I am asking $65 combined for boots and gaiters so they can have a new home where they will be appreciated.  If you could find these new they would be in the $300 range.  I will throw in free Priority Mail delivery w/ delivery confirmation.  
P1000412.jpg

P1000413.jpg

P1000408.jpg

P1000414.jpg

P1000415.jpg

P1000417.jpg
P1000411.jpg

5:27 p.m. on June 12, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
913 forum posts

What is the metric size of these boots? I have a pair of Guides that are 43/44.

Erich

7:09 p.m. on June 12, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Hello, Erich.  Interestingly, the boots have no metric size stamped on them--just 11.  However, these fit me spot-on, and I normally take a 44.5.  I just checked the La Sportiva size chart and it also lists EU 44.5 as equivalent to US 11.

More clarification on the boots' history--I bought them used on eBay roughly 8 years ago or so--I do not know their history before that.  I have stored them in a dry indoor gear closet in a smoke-free home; the rust on the D-rings existed when I purchased them, and is not a result of my care.  They have been treated with saddle soap and Sno Seal earlier this spring.

10:36 p.m. on June 12, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

I might be interested in the boots.  Are you willing to separate the two items?

2:37 p.m. on June 13, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

I would be happy to sell the boots alone in order that they find a new home.  Since the X-gaiters fit the Peutereys, I was just throwing them in as a freebie as they are a bit rough around the edges.  Thank you for your interest.  

10:27 p.m. on June 13, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

After some deliberation I've decided to withdraw these from sale.  I will either 1) take these down to a local used gear shop to see what I can swap them for, 2) give them away, or 3) put them back in the gear closet and hope I plan a trip for which they will be the perfect footwear.  I don't want to ship them to someone and have them in the least bit unhappy with the condition.  As noted in the description there are a few issues with both boots and X-gaiters which would be best seen in person before a transaction is discussed.  Thank you very much for your interest!

11:56 p.m. on July 2, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
93 forum posts

...too bad you decided not to sell. I'd been interested and these are my size in Galibier boots. I've used Peuterey's in the past plus being an organic chemist I know how to handle recalcitrant old sealants..

Best,

Randy Nelson

11:10 a.m. on July 3, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Randy--I still have the boots and X-gaiters.  You've apparently read the description and are aware of the flaws mentioned.   I withdrew them from sale because I didn't want to ship them to someone who might be surprised by the sticky welts, etc.  If you are interested, I would accept $40 for boots and gaiters, which would include shipment via Priority Mail with delivery confirmation.  Thanks for your interest!   

2:41 p.m. on July 4, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
93 forum posts

Hi,

Great..understood.

Send me your paypal email (I could not find a way to link to it through your eBay name) and I will send you 41.50 to pay for these and the fees.

You can email me via a pm or post it here. PM is probably better is you want to keep spam out of your paypal email.

Best,

Randy

5:51 p.m. on July 4, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Hi, Randy--

I got your payment--thank you very much.  As mentioned in my e-mail, boots will ship Thursday a.m. July 5th via priority mail.  I hope you give these boots some great use!

Cheers--

Jim

2:38 p.m. on September 28, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

shoot. i am way late on this. Randy, congrats on the great deal.

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply