Orienteering Compasses

2:31 p.m. on June 19, 2012 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

An entire lot of 40, never used, Sweden made compasses for sale.  They are a great tool for working with maps and orienteering.  The rotating capsule
has 5 degree dial graduations and the clear base-plate makes it easier to read a map and plan their course.  Millimeter scale provided for mapping and plotting. Lanyard hole provided but not included.

Other:

Size-  1 ¾” x 3 ½”

Made in Sweden

Direction of travel

Orienteering arrow

Magnetic needle

Capsule orienting lines inside capsule

Free float capsule

Base-plate orienting lines

Clear base-plate

These compasses go for a minimum of $9.95 on sale.  Please make resonable offer for the entire lot, I will not split.  They are a great learning tool!  See pics attached:

image.jpg

Payment by PayPal once we establish a price for the package and the cost of shipping.  Decent offers may include free shipping to the lower states.

3:13 p.m. on June 19, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,085 forum posts

Spammer!

3:55 p.m. on June 19, 2012 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

This not a spam, I seriously have 40 of these.  If you are interested, please respond, otherwise, please hold inappropriate comments.  This venue is perfect for selling these since we all have backpacking in common and orienteering is part of that.

10:12 a.m. on June 20, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,085 forum posts

Most people today use GPS compasses. I still have my old 1968 Boy Scout compass, but I rarely use it anymore. I just follow the trails and never get lost enough for a compass.

12:04 p.m. on June 20, 2012 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

I agree, I also use a gps with a compass back-up, both on my sailboat and while backpacking.  However, there are plety of people still teaching rudimentary orienteering via good ole compass-map work.  Perhaps they may be interested in purchasing these at a very cheap price and take them off of my hands.

2:43 p.m. on June 20, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,085 forum posts

How and why did you come about them? Seems like someone might be interested in one, but all? They would have to work for NOLS or be a Boy Scout leader with a large troop. At a minimum of $9.95 they would be about $400 for all. Bet you could sell them if you sold some of them individually.

My old one is a Brunton and looks just like these but has a magnifier in its flat base.

3:41 p.m. on June 20, 2012 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

I purchased them at a convention in my field of work with the intention of teaching basic orienteering and map skills, but......retired.  I don't expect to get $9.95 per compass, that is info needed so I don't get disrespectful offers of extremely low numbers.  I have them on sale on eBay with a starting bid at $2/compass (not splitting the lot) with hopes that someone who teaches a Boy Scout Troop, etc wold need them...my offer is better than they can purchase with a discount.  You never know who might want them, like I would if I were still in my field of work.  Not selling them individually b/c the right person who is looking for this style will need the largeer number.

11:17 p.m. on June 20, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I just joined this forum due to seeing this ad. However, I have been thinking about joining for a while. I'm an avid Colorado backpacker. Not able to go so much now that we have a baby girl. ANYWAY, I just applied for a teaching position at Polaris expeditional learning school, and I feel that I could use something like this. Unfirtunately I don't know if I have the job yet, or if resources like that may already be available. Teachers don't make much, and teachers who are looking for work make even less. :)

6:39 a.m. on June 21, 2012 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

Good luck with getting the position, it is a GREAT profession.  Please feel to look back at this site to see if they are still available once you know.  Thank you for your comments, you are EXACTLY the program in which I didn't want to split the lot and start selling the pieces indiviually.  Maybe down the road. 

8:27 p.m. on June 21, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,280 forum posts

GaryPalmer said:

Most people today use GPS compasses. I still have my old 1968 Boy Scout compass, but I rarely use it anymore. I just follow the trails and never get lost enough for a compass.

Most people don't even have a orienting device of any kind!  And among the old farts I hike with, all except one still use a compass.

Ed

9:02 p.m. on June 23, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

i usually carry a gps and a compass. i have doubted my gps many times and fell back on my compass, so far i have never doubted a compass.

i think its a generational thing with younger folks generaly having more faith in electronic gadgets than those of us a little longer in the tooth. i will say though my gps did turn out to be leading me well in all cases. i still use the old garmin gps 12 and i love it. i get the urge to replace it from time to time but it has served me so well for so many years i just cant do it, the old girl has always got me home.

earl.

5:17 p.m. on June 26, 2012 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

Well skepticals.....they are sold....all 40 of them as a bundle.  I knew the right person would seek them out and want them for the right reason, even if it is to give each Boy Scout a token as they joined the troop.  It was a great price!  Phew

7:27 p.m. on June 26, 2012 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Good job selling these. I think you did a good deed! Unless we see them on Ebay. 

7:46 p.m. on July 7, 2012 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

Batteries die!  I always carry a compass back-up.  Thanks for passing them along to someone who will use them!

July 31, 2014
Quick Reply