Wanted: Windshirt. Small, dark and hooded.

1:45 p.m. on March 7, 2013 (EST)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

Probably won't surprise anybody here, but I need a Houdini-or-similar windproof jacket.

So on the off chance somebody has one...Women's Medium or Men's Small, to make room for layers.

Must have a hood! Or my ears will fall off and be left on the trail.

Also, must be black. Well, maybe really dark grey. For reasons. Mostly to do with the sun shining while the wind blows off Labrador ice floes. Radiant heat is my friend. Looking badass and attracting ravens is just bonus.

Need something fairly quiet and non-crinkly, since I spend most of my time sneaking up on birds and trying to make friends with wild animals. Don't want to scare anybody when I put my hand in my pocket for more chocolate.

I'm in Canada, but postage from America to Newfoundland seems to be about the same as from the rest of Canada, so I'm not too worried about that. Just has to be marked 'gift' or else Canada Customs will punish me severely.

If anybody has such a thing and would like to turn it into money (or swap it out for MEC gear and take advantage of my free shipping, maybe?) please get in touch!

9:02 a.m. on March 8, 2013 (EST)
26 reviewer rep
241 forum posts
5:12 p.m. on March 8, 2013 (EST)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

Rambler, I sure do appreciate you wanting to help! Two sad things about this, though: 1) Only knock-your-eye-out blazing flame red is on sale, and 2) If a Canadian buys something from the US, suddenly Free Trade is no more, and Canada Customs will make me pay sales tax, plus customs, plus a handling fee. It ain't pretty. The cheapest I can find a Houdini in Canada is $120, and it would still be a savings over buying one for $80 or $90 in the US. Bummer, really.

Very very good of you to do this for me, though! Hope the sun is shining on you wherever you are.

5:37 p.m. on March 8, 2013 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Wild Things might have something that meets your criteria(Castlerock color:)

http://www.wildthingsgear.com/wild-things/shop/all-women/w-hooded-windshirt.html?color=nasturtium

They also have some Windpro stuff as well.

Hope this helps.

7:13 p.m. on March 8, 2013 (EST)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

Rick, I wasn't familiar with this company, and they do indeed have some very nice stuff. I'll see if anybody in Canada carries them. Maybe one of the hunting outfitters, given the Smith&Wesson connection. Can't order direct, unfortunately -- not only would there be duties at the border, but their minimum ship cost to Canada is $40. Ouch.

Thank you for giving me an alternative to Patagonia and Arc'teryx, though! I hadn't really thought of checking hunting gear, seems obvious now. Just want something lightweight that will still hold up to bushwhacking and last me a long time.

7:47 p.m. on March 8, 2013 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hunting gear?

9:04 p.m. on March 8, 2013 (EST)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

Hunting clothes, I should have said (although the idea of waving a large caliber weapon at the wind and telling it to BACK OFF RIGHT NOW is kind of funny. Wind Resistance!).

No hiking/camping type shops anywhere near me, but there are places with hunting and fishing supplies, I should check them out. Surely these fellows wear something besides PVC and flannel. And as long as I stay away from the blaze orange, I'll probably like the colour selection too!

4:55 a.m. on March 9, 2013 (EST)
52 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

I do like the look of the Squamish but bear in mind that Salomon use a similar material in something called a Fastwing Hoodie, or thereabouts, for a lot less retail. This type of fabric is better than the usual, slippery, windproof material (I don't think a PU layer matters as much as a tight weave and DWR) normally used in these tops. The Houdini, using it also, seems to have just elastic cuffs, which sort of put me off it.

I use a Rohan windtop, made from this same coarse fabric with slight mechanical stretch - wish I knew what to call it - and it was about 50% less money with about 70% more features. It has four pockets though, and is around 50g heavier than the Squamish top. I imagine the current one, called the windshadow, is exactly the same as mine from a few years back. Rohan is great kit.

The Salomon windshirts are often on sale on Amazon UK, as they are replaced each year. They are also lighter than the Rohan and have just the one pocket. Salomon sizes are adjusted higher, Euro-style, so L is closer to USA Medium. Women's sizes are going to be similar I imagine. If you find something on sale on Amazon UK, then PM me and if it isn't too much money, say about 40 GBP in the sale, I could help you out perhaps by getting it and sending it marked "gift" (but don't tell the Queen!).

11:33 a.m. on March 9, 2013 (EST)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

Pathloser, that's awesome. Thank you for the leads on Salomon and Rohan (which I have never heard of). I will take a look at the stuff on your side of the pond and PM you if I find something.

Bless your heart, that's a lovely offer. I'm sure Her Majesty would forgive you for helping out a poor benighted soul in the Colonies. We do know all the words to God Save the Queen, after all. :)

3:08 p.m. on March 9, 2013 (EST)
52 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

Colours are all bright this year in the women's for Rohan and Salomon.

Anyway, PM sent as I found something that's a bargain you might be interested in.

Forgot about the Queen in Canada - is she still on the money over there?

3:18 p.m. on March 9, 2013 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Options are awesome. :)

That is one of the many things I have come to love about the TS community. Granted we may not all agree on things at times but in the long run we all do look out for one another one way or the other. 

4:36 p.m. on March 9, 2013 (EST)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

Forgot about the Queen in Canada - is she still on the money over there?

Yes she is, long may she reign! We were all quite worried about her last week. I don't know if there's still a portrait in every classroom, but there was in mine. Mind you, Newfoundland didn't join Canada until 1949 (by a 51 to 49 vote), and a lot of people still aren't sure about it. When I was little (things have changed somewhat), people flew the Union Jack more often than the Maple Leaf, and we sang the Ode to Newfoundland and God Save the Queen, not O Canada.

Even now, you'll find British sweets in even the tiniest Newfoundland shop. Tunnock's Tea Cakes everywhere.

3:07 p.m. on May 20, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

You might also buy some lightweight Polartec Windpro and make your own, or have someone whip it up. A hoodie is a super easy thing to sew. You can find suppliers for polartec fabrics on the specialty outdoors website. She doesn't sell the stuff, (she repairs gear) but she has many resources listed, and some are in Canada.    Her website is specialtyoutdoors dot com

8:05 p.m. on May 20, 2013 (EDT)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

Thanks for that website! She does offer a great niche service, and some of her items look great. I particularly like that kayaking cagoule (it's like a wearable bivy!), but my favourite has to be the Polartec union suit. Now I want one.

I'm from a knitting/crocheting clan, but sadly never learned to sew. Always wanted to learn. How great it must be to be able to do your own custom work like that.

Fortunately, with the help of a very kind member of this community, my perfect windshirt made its way to me. It was helping me spot icebergs just today, in fact. But I very much appreciate your suggestions!

1:54 a.m. on May 22, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

On sale now at REI, just bought one

July 31, 2014
Quick Reply