WTB Great External. (Dana LB/SB/TF, Kelty Continental Divide 5300)

5:01 p.m. on May 5, 2013 (EDT)
54 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Hi, 
So I'm Finally able to really get back out there but now my daughter is tagging along and I need to carry all the stuff to keep her entertained and comfortable. I need a solid pack. 

Dana Short bed (bent frame version)

Dana Long bed (bent frame version) 

Kelty Continental Divide 5300

Dana TerraFrame

I'll look at others, but those above are my main focus. (in order as well)

I live about 20 minutes from Blacksburg VA and will travel to pick one up. PP is ready and waiting.

Thanks A lot

-J

8:26 p.m. on May 5, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
396 forum posts

You might want to include which size you need with the Dana packs.  Regular or large.

8:35 p.m. on May 5, 2013 (EDT)
54 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Sorry, most likely regular. I'm just south of 6ft and have a 32 inch waist.

5:25 p.m. on May 14, 2013 (EDT)
54 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

There is a terraframe on ebay right now, but the guy cut the compression straps off -_-. 
Is that something I could easily fix?

5:18 p.m. on May 15, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
396 forum posts

Adding compression straps shouldn't be much of a hassle.  But if it were me, I'd keep looking.  The season is young.

8:32 p.m. on May 16, 2013 (EDT)
54 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Ya, I skipped it. 
I want the big pack for taking my daughter out towards the end of the season. So I'm in no rush. Right now I'm trying to decide on a nice 1.5-3 day pack. Thinking osprey talon or kestrel 

To update earlier information Turns out i need a medium size belt. 

1:57 a.m. on May 17, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
396 forum posts

I'm not sure where I grabbed these.  Dana Design with kids.
DANADESIGN-K2--Terraframe--kidsriding--0
DANADESIGN-K2--Terraframe--kidsriding--0

10:28 a.m. on May 17, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Hey, I saw this dana external pack on the local Craigslist.

San fansisco Bay Area.

Maybe the seller will ship if your interested.

2:09 p.m. on May 17, 2013 (EDT)
54 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

those pictures are fantastic. Are they you?

I hope I can get my leg strength back up to where it was 3-4 years ago, I may be able to do that myself. :D 

^^ 
Do you have a link?

11:01 p.m. on May 17, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
396 forum posts

Those are not of me.

11:25 p.m. on May 17, 2013 (EDT)
54 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/spo/3809921529.html

I found this one. 
not exactly what I'm looking for but I may email them. 

I wonder how hard it would be to get a medium belt for the short bed listed here .... 

7:38 p.m. on May 18, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
396 forum posts

I don't think I've ever seen a Loadmaster series belt, all by itself, for sale.  I would say it isn't very easy.  Even finding someone to swap sizes isn't an easy task.

However, you could use a medium belt from an ArcFlex series (Astralplane, Terraplane, Alpine, Stillwater), and I'd dare say they're a little better made.  My memory is a wee bit foggy right now, but I believe I've done this.  By the time the Loadmaster series was in production, bigger companies owned Dana, and they were a little more business/manufacturing savvy.  If they could have a belt work with two different lines (ArcFlex, Loadmaster), it would save them some money in the factory.  I'm 95% sure I've swapped ArcFlex and Loadmaster belts with no problems with the angles.  Angles in the side belt tighteners would be your only possible hangup, and I don't believe it was different.

Not to compound your search, but I'd HIGHLY recommend you find the older design of shoulder straps.  I meant to tell you this a week ago, but I forgot.  There have been at least three designs of shoulder straps.  All are fine, but one is superior in both durability and comfort.  email me.  I'll send you a couple large photos for reference.

11:07 p.m. on May 20, 2013 (EDT)
54 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Thanks for all the awesome information!

6:17 p.m. on May 28, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
25 forum posts

I have a Kelty 50th Anniversary Pack and a Kelty CDT 5300.  The 50th Anniversary is a tall, but the 5300 was offered in only one size in the men's version, but it has an adjustable torso.  $75 plus shipping for the CDT and $150  plus shipping for the 50th Anniversary.

9:01 p.m. on May 28, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
396 forum posts

phantommaggot, I recommend writing yourself a little form letter about the sizing, because you'll be asking for belt sizes over and over again.  Since they hide that tag, fewer people know it is there.  Explain how to pull the lumbar pad forward to make it visible, etc.

12:02 p.m. on June 7, 2013 (EDT)
54 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Hey, Just checked this. 
Bill, thanks for your offer. Unfortunately I let someone use my tent and it was returned almost ruined, so I'll be spending my external frame pack money on a new tent.. Guess I'll be bumping this thread in the fall (when I plan to try to take my daughter out for her first overnight) 

And Zeno, That is a good idea. I've been retyping those instructions on ebay over and over -_-. 

October 24, 2014
Quick Reply