Wow! FREE STUFF!!!

6:18 p.m. on November 30, 2017 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,631 reviewer rep
231 forum posts

Yes that’s right, FREE STUFF! Just in time for the holidays! This is a “PIF”, or “pay it forward” – basically passing good karma back to the community.

Earlier this year I was honored as one of Trailspace’s Reviewers of the Month, for which I received a very generous goodie bag of backpacking gear. Again, thank you Trailspace! Yet, some of the prizes I received are items I already have several of and don’t need more. I would rather see this stuff put to good use, so I’m giving it away!

The giveaways will be by a random drawing. So you can’t just claim an item, you have to enter the drawing for it. All items are new never used. I only ask that each winner pays the actual shipping cost for their prize.

Here is what’s up for grabs:

• Victorinox Swiss Army Knife “Huntsman.” 15 tools in one compact piece of gear with a unique hardwood handle. Engraved with "Trailspace.com." It’s a beautiful piece.
  • Ibex Meru merino hat.  Unisex, black color w/embroidered “Trailspace” logo.
  • UCO X-120R headlamp w/storage case.  Cree XP-E LED, adjustable brightness up to 120 lumens. Flood, spot and red night-vision modes. Adjustable angle. IPX4 water resistance. Li-ion battery pack with integrated micro-USB input (or can use AAA batteries).
  • Adventure Medical Kits Mountain “Hiker” first aid kit.Expiration date is Oct 2018.
  • Potable Aqua tablets. Two bottles, 50 tablets per bottle. First is iodine to purify water, second neutralizes the iodine taste. Effective against bacteria, Giardia, Cryptosporidium, and viruses.
  • “Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills”, hardcover, 8th edition. This is THE classic mountaineering book.

So here’s how it works:

• Enter the drawing by replying to this thread or by sending a private message to me. Reply by December 10. You can enter for any and all items. Be sure to indicate which item(s) you want to be in the drawing for.
  • Enter for an item only if it is something you will actually use or you know will be used by someone close to you (not just that you think they might be able to use it, or you think that one day you’ll find someone who could use it). And definitely not for you to turn around and sell it. The whole idea of doing this PIF is to make sure this gear gets put to good use within the Trailspace community in a “good karma” kind of way.
  • For each item, all unduplicated names for that item will go into a virtual hat, and I will draw a winner at random. Drawing will be on December 11, and I will inform the winners. Once all winners are confirmed I'll post the winner list here.
  • A given person can win only one PIF – let’s spread the good cheer. If the same person is chosen to win multiple items I will contact him/her to ask which item they want and then will randomly pick a winner for the other item.
  • I do ask that the winners pay actual shipping cost, but that’s all. Estimated shipping costs below.
  • If your destination requires a different amount, or if you want the item shipped faster I’m glad to do that, I’ll let you know what the new shipping cost is. Winner sends me the shipping amount via Paypal and once received I’ll ship it out to you.
  • If you are a winner, I strongly urge you to post a PIF of your own very soon – you should feel the mojo to keep the good karma going.

So that’s the deal. And Happy Kwanzanukahxmas!

P1010185.jpg“Huntsman” Swiss Army knife: shipping est = $7.15 (Priority 2-day small flat-rate)

P1000689.jpgIbex Meru merino hat: shipping est = $1.40 (1st class large envelope)

P1000690.jpg

UCO X-120R headlamp w/storage case: shipping est = $8.35 (Priority 2-day regular box)

P1000687.jpgAMK first aid kit: shipping est = $8.35 (Priority 2-day regular box)

P1000693.jpgPotable Aqua tablets: shipping est = $7.15 (Priority 2-day small flat-rate)

P1000698.jpg“Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills”: shipping est = $13.60 (Priority 2-day med flat-rate)…OR…might be eligible for $4.10 media mail w/longer delivery time).

-

6:27 p.m. on November 30, 2017 (EST)
318 reviewer rep
158 forum posts

I'd like my name to be put in for the 'Mountaineering' book drawing. And the 10th is my birthday so maybe I'll get lucky...but no matter, its nice of you to do this. Thanks

6:44 a.m. on December 1, 2017 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,821 reviewer rep
1,134 forum posts

We just had a family discussion last night about how good my daughter looks in my TS beanies so I will put her name in the hat for the beanie JR. Nice of you to share the wealth!

11:35 a.m. on December 1, 2017 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,963 reviewer rep
2,043 forum posts

Well if no one participates this will be easy! I'd be interested in the headlamp. Thanks!

9:48 p.m. on December 1, 2017 (EST)
97 reviewer rep
379 forum posts

Good deal that's the way to pass it on

4:57 p.m. on December 4, 2017 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,631 reviewer rep
231 forum posts

I don't know if bumping a thread on here is allowed (probably not), but in this particular case I'm hoping it's OK -- I'm hoping everyone is seeing this thread and we have more who want to be part of the drawing. At this point I have one name for each of four items and no names for the other two items, that won't be much of a drawing. Maybe no one else needs these either? Maybe the shipping cost is too high? I wish I could cover the shipping but on all of these items it adds up to nearly $50 best I can figure.

So if you're interested in being in the drawing for any of these items (and you can be in the drawing for more than one), let me know!

2:18 p.m. on December 5, 2017 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,551 reviewer rep
1,386 forum posts

PIF threads should get unlimited bumps, in my opinion.

2:52 p.m. on December 5, 2017 (EST)
271 reviewer rep
1,787 forum posts

JR I want to thank you for participating in PIF...I don't want to be entered in the drawing AND YES i  will bump this to help

7:49 p.m. on December 5, 2017 (EST)
1,661 reviewer rep
46 forum posts

I'll bump this also and I'd like my name put in the running for the first aid kit, Thanks!

9:56 a.m. on December 7, 2017 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Sir...I would like to throw my name into the "Hat" for any item.  I am getting my daughters(6 and 11) into camping and any of these items would be very useful or them...

Thanks...

HutchNC

4:01 p.m. on December 7, 2017 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,631 reviewer rep
231 forum posts

Hutch, you're in, but don't call me "sir" -- makes me feel old ;-)

Everyone else above is in as well, and one PM is in.

10:42 p.m. on December 8, 2017 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,679 reviewer rep
699 forum posts

I'll enter for the knife JR...I checked your rules and it looks like you're okay with me giving it away as a gift for x-mas...I have a nephew who would love it if rules permit.

7:12 a.m. on December 9, 2017 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,631 reviewer rep
231 forum posts

Yes Joseph, I PM'd you as well, with someone specific to give it to who could use it that's perfectly fine =)

2:00 p.m. on December 10, 2017 (EST)
271 reviewer rep
1,787 forum posts

Bumpin

7:06 p.m. on December 10, 2017 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,631 reviewer rep
231 forum posts

Thanks Denis. Yes folks, clock's a'tickin', tonight is the close of your chance to enter any of the drawings so get your name in pronto...

8:49 p.m. on December 10, 2017 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,551 reviewer rep
1,386 forum posts

I was thinking about this...bumps don't make sense unless the thread gets off the front page, and the TS gear trade is pretty slow, so...you know...

Bump.

6:43 a.m. on December 15, 2017 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,631 reviewer rep
231 forum posts

And the winners are...

knife - Joseph Renow
hat - LoneStranger
headlamp - Patman
first aid kit - Mike Mineart
aqua tabs - HutchNC
book - Old Guide

Congrats everyone, and thanks for playing! Please consider keeping the mojo going by posting a PIF of your own.

Speaking of which, there is one thing I feel badly about with this giveaway: I had 6 items to give out, and 7 people entered at least one of the drawings, so 1 person got left out. If there had been dozens left out then that would feel better, but to be the only person to enter and not get something seems more like a lump of coal for the holidays. I've offered this person other things I have that I could part with but he doesn't need any of them.

The one thing he has said he could use is an ultralight liner for a sleeping bag. Anyone have one they could part with? Let me know, and I'll connect the two of you.

Cheers!

6:54 a.m. on December 15, 2017 (EST)
2,337 reviewer rep
901 forum posts

What item did the person want that you listed?

4:07 p.m. on December 15, 2017 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,631 reviewer rep
231 forum posts

First aid kit.

6:59 p.m. on December 15, 2017 (EST)
2,337 reviewer rep
901 forum posts

Man. I have some of the parts left but not the entire kit. Oh well.

December 16, 2017
Quick Reply