WANTED: Kelty tent (or similar) for 4 -- suggestions?

11:19 a.m. on May 23, 2006 (EDT)

We are looking at a Kelty Yellowstone 4 (or 6) or Merced 4, but this would be $150 plus. Anyone have a used Kelty that's 8 x 8 or bigger? (We''d love to pick up a used one for $100 with shipping, depending on the tent.) If not, any suggestions for a comparable tent for the price? -- we've considered Eureka and Columbia but are unsure of quality. REI's Camp Hut is a consideration and just found ALPS tents, but know nothing of those.

11:38 p.m. on May 25, 2006 (EDT)
6 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

Hello from Alaska 99821. I use an ALPS Orion 2. This is my 2nd ALPS having sold the first one to a friend. Good quality/construction, made in the same place as REI I believe.
I have a new Eureka Timberline 4XT for sale. It's new as in never been camped with, but it is a late 2003 model still in the box. If you go to Campmor you can see the specs. Will let it go for $125.00 and will ship at my expense to any of the 50 United States. It's kinda heavy for one but if you split it between 2 it should be ok. Hope this helps. Have a great season.

10:01 a.m. on May 26, 2006 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

I have a Eureka Wind River geodesic dome in the six person version - about the size you are looking for which should hold four comfortably. Six people and you are nice and cozy. I'd sell that for $100 plus shipping costs. Quality should be the same as what you find in a Kelty.

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply