About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Looking to buy books

12:11 a.m. on February 18, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hi guys, I am a newbie looking for any how to books, backpacking pooks, camping books, hiking books.

Recently laid off, and can not buy new.

Thanks,

Patrick from Jacksonville

5:48 p.m. on February 19, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

There is certainly no shortage of 'how-to' hike books out there... I've been hiking in Vermont since I was a little kid, and am always learning new tricks from people I meet or hit the trail with. I picked up "Long-Distance Hiking" by Roland Mueser this summer, and you cold definitely learn a few things (pack size, shoe type, etc.) from it. Though being a book about the AT and long distance hiking it might be more than you'd be interested in... Also, if you've got a local gear store (vs. a Cabela's or EMS) you could spend some time there with a hopefuly knowledgable hiker/staffer to get you started. A lot of it comes down to pure experience though! Good luck!!

12:28 a.m. on February 20, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
41 forum posts
8:26 p.m. on February 25, 2009 (EST)
22 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

I have found some of the harder out of print books at the library, and it is free.

10:14 p.m. on February 25, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

I have a few if your interested:

The Backpacker's Handbook- Chris Townsend 1993

How To Sh*t In TheWoods- Kathleen Meyers 1994

On Nature's Trail- Ken Hoy 1978

Backpacker Magazine's Guide To The Appalachian Trail-Jim Chase 1989

Tracking & The Art Of Seeing, How To Read Animal Tracks & Sign- Paul Rezendes 1992

The Joy Of Camping- Richard W. Langer 1973

Far North- Will Hobbs 1996 (fiction)

If you are interrested in any or all of them I'll send them to you for free. If you could cover the shipping it would help.

12:04 a.m. on February 27, 2009 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
3,917 forum posts

I have "The Thousand Mile Summer" by Colin Fletcher

"Inescapable, the life of a River Man" by Robert Finkbine

Same with me as far as free just pay shipping

I also have about a hundred I think, of used but in excellent condition

Trails Illustrated National Geographic maps

Email me at garyclaytonpalmer@yahoo.com and I will attempt to tell all their names, like the one I have out "The Chilkoot Trail" of Alaska / British Columbia.

I have loved backpacking these last 32 years, thank you Mom for introducing me to the out of doors all those years before in the Catskills of New York State. I went on my first trip at age 6 months and slept with my mother who is in heaven now, beside the campfire.

April 17, 2014
Quick Reply