Feeler: 1992 Moss Stargazer, New

12:04 p.m. on November 14, 2009 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

I've found one hiding in a corner somewhere, and it's the best looking Moss I've seen. Brand new, with all original storage bags and description/waranty papers. Smells no worse than any other 17 year old tent, which is to say there is a touch of funk, but absolutely no stickiness or de-laminatation of ANY coating. This tent has never seen dirt or sunlight. I have not seam-sealed it, Mirazymed it, or otherwise modified it in any way. Please e-mail me at Pillowthread@yahoo.com for more info, or with any offers.

1:55 p.m. on November 15, 2009 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

It has come to my attention that my Moss is a bit younger than I previously stated. My Moss has "Seattle, USA" sewn into the tags; does anyone know what vintage that puts it at? Mine has no vents nor windows in the rainfly, just a really sweet and shinny brass grommet towards the front of the rainfly, as an extra guy-out point, I assume.

9:10 p.m. on November 16, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

I believe that Moss tents were manufactured in Seattle between 1994 and 1999. The shiny Brass grommet was used to attach a nifty Moss Tentwing with a plastic bolt and wing nut.

12:46 p.m. on November 20, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hi, I noticed from one of your previous threads that you have a substantial collection of tents. Would you have a North Face Himalayan Hotel or 47 for sale? thanks. christopher

4:39 p.m. on November 21, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Christopher, I can't help you with either of those tents. The only North Face tents I have left are a Starlight Extreme(new), and a Bullfrog((like New). I had a North Face North Star( the predecessor of the Himalayan Hotel), but due to major U.V. degradation, I have only the beautiful baby blue pole set left. Good luck with your search.

3:45 a.m. on November 22, 2009 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

Hey albman, do you know more about the condition of that stargazer you said as selling for $1550? Was it new or used?--made in Maine or Seattle? Any idea? I've got the Tentwing for it as well...both are brand new...

1:12 p.m. on January 29, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

Well, I've used the Stazgazer with the Tentwing a couple of times now, and I can definately see how these beauties consistently sell for upwards of $1000. I'm not sure I need any other tent for any condition I might use a tent for.

2:41 p.m. on January 31, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

That's excellent to hear. The Stargazer truly is an outstanding tent. Its design is simple(yet beautiful), extremely strong, and creates a reliably warm and dry shelter. The addition if the Tentwing makes for dry entry and exit, extra storage, and a great place to cook out of the weather.

11:52 p.m. on April 26, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hey Abman47 do you have any MOss tents for sale?

Tommmmmmmmmmmmm

11:52 p.m. on April 26, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hey pillowthread do you have any moss tents for sale? Particularly interested in little dipper.

1:09 a.m. on April 27, 2010 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

Well, if I had been smart enough to buy a couple of "Little Dippers" when MEC had them on sale years ago, I would NEVER part with them! I have seen about everything and no tent I have ever seen, with one exception, impressed me for use in really vile BC winter conditions like the LD did.

The exception is my Hillberg Saivo and it is the best tent for extended use and horrible conditions I have ever seen, it is costly, heavy and a bit bulky to carry very far, but, it works like no other tent ever has, for this elderly geezer, anyway.

1:39 p.m. on April 28, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

mason: The only moss I own is my Stargazer/Tentwing combo. I'm not really looking to sell it, as there are only a handful of these left around, and it is an amazing tent indeed.

dewey: I hold your opinion in high regard, and though I understand that the Little Dipper is a much different beast than the Stargazer, your support of Moss tents is just one more reason I think I'm going to use this tent until it literally falls apart, even as they sell upwards of $1500 on ebay...

With that being said, $1500 will get me a Saivo and a Soulo, so if these numbers don't discourage you, mason, please email me at the address above.

2:55 p.m. on April 28, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

I won't be selling my LD. As pillowthread said, Moss tents often cost more now than they did new, and are becoming increasingly difficult to find, AND successfully buy. I have been buying Moss tents for the past 32 years; it used to require only having enough cash to make the purchase, but now, one must locate the tent, either bid(eBay) AND win it, or somehow convince the previous owner that YOU deserve to be the new caretaker of a legendary piece of equipment. Or, you may just be lucky and find one at a garage sale... Why do you deserve to own a Moss tent?

September 18, 2014
Quick Reply