Wanted: Vintage (mid-1970's) Red Kelty Backpack

11:21 p.m. on June 10, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Looking for this stylish backpack.

Mid 70's.

Red.

Regular backpack (or bookbag) with black/charcoal arm-straps and zippers.

Has the leather Kelty triangle stitched at the top-left side of the exterior of the pack.

Thanks!

7:21 a.m. on June 11, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Update!

I found this, it's called the "Night Hawk" from Kelty Japan (for about $100 US):
http://www.kelty.co.jp/product/item_18_nhk.html

Notice it's classified as a "vintage" pack (appropriately), but not in red! I wonder; was the original pack style in the 70's was called the Night Hawk?

Would still love to hear from anyone with a red pack available...

Thanks!

10:11 a.m. on June 11, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,122 forum posts

I don't have that model, but I do have this Kelty that I bought in Alaska in 1978. It has two large pockets on the sides big enough for two Sigg bottles, plus the two back pockets, clip cinch straps on the sides, a ice axe loop and strap patch on the middle back. Its 32 years old. $30

12:37 p.m. on June 11, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
167 forum posts

jasonsawtelle

cool link. i knew that you could buy new/vintage sierra designs and north face stuff in japan now kelty too. too bad those companies don't sell that stuff here.

i am not sure if that is the original name or not. i have seen vintage kelty packs on ebay listed as "condor". if no one comes up with one of those packs, you can find them on ebay. i have never seen a red one. the cheapest one i ever saw was an orange one that sold for about $20. it was a smaller version than the one you are looking for. you can probablly pick one on ebay for $50 tp $75. be sure to check good will stores too. i got mine for $1. good luck to you.

1:20 p.m. on June 11, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Goodwill is a great idea. Yes, the "Condor" is another pack that is listed on the above Kelty Japan link, so it appears, so far, that the "vintage" names are consistent with their original names.

Thanks!

6:25 p.m. on June 11, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

Noddlehead shakes his head with arms folded and looks at the ground kicking at a few pebbles.............. "Vintage Pack" Harummf!

It was state of the art when I started backpacking on my own and is now considered "Vintage".

Oh how cruel is old man time................

I think I will light my 1960's vintage double mantle Coleman fuel lantern (Which works just fine! BTW!) and repeat a few mantras.

:)

12:02 p.m. on June 23, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
167 forum posts

jasonsawtelle

kelty day pack just came up on ebay. a little latter vintage than you had asked and the wrong color.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130402997074&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

hope this helps. best of luck

2:58 p.m. on June 23, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

Update!

I found this, it's called the "Night Hawk" from Kelty Japan (for about $100 US):
http://www.kelty.co.jp/product/item_18_nhk.html

Notice it's classified as a "vintage" pack (appropriately), but not in red! I wonder; was the original pack style in the 70's was called the Night Hawk?

Would still love to hear from anyone with a red pack available...

Thanks!

Note: As your guarded use of the word “vintage” implies, the items on this link are inspired from vintage designs, and not the original vintage design or materials. Several models should have a suede bottom, but use fabric; other models have "student" pockets for school stuff and notebook PCs, when such accessories weren't available at that time.
Ed

August 22, 2014
Quick Reply