MSR Outfitter Wing on Ebay - misleading ad?

2:13 p.m. on April 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

I was wondering if it’s just me or if this ad is a bit tricky and means to misrepresent a bit.  It seems that all that’s for sale is an MSR Outfitter Wing, but the majority of the photos show a Moss Outfitter Wing Net.  It’s ‘in the fine print’ that the Net is not included.  The title of the ad includes the words Rare and Moss and seems to be for the Wing and Net until reading the fine print.  I could be wrong, do newer MSR Outfitter Wings sell for over $400??  Does this seem like a deceptive ad to you? 

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-MSR-Outfitter-Wing-Group-Shelter-Tarp-Moss-/110673541217?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c4a83861

4:20 p.m. on April 17, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

The word deceptive is a loaded term, and construes the seller intentionally is misrepresenting their offer. I do not think this is the case.

I think it is a reasonable ad; the text clarifying what is being sold is underlined to drive home this point.  And it is the only text underlined.  If someone is mislead, it is because they are not bothering to read the text at all.  Would I have chosen a different pic showing only the wing? Yes, but I do not think there is a purposeful intend to mislead anyone.

Ed

4:27 p.m. on April 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Hi hikerbiker,

I Just checked out the ebay lisiting and The only thing I find misrepresented is at the top where is says "Item condition: Condition: New other (see details): A new, unused item with absolutely no signs of wear. The item may be missing the original packaging, or in the original packaging but not sealed. The item may be a factory second or a new, unused item with defects. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections." 

It then states that the item has been used once.  Once an item has been used is cannot be listed as new (even if it is like new).  This could just be a mistake on his part.  When listing many items at once.  Its easy to pick a wrong catagory in the condition section.  I've done this before and had to go back and update it.

As far as "Moss" being listed in the header a lot of people list similar products at the end of there listing even though Ebay does discourages this and dont' forget that moss was intergrated into MSR as well.

I've had to use old pictures that have other things in the picture if I can't take a current picture.  As he did discribe the picture and give a disclamer I would say he's not trying to misrepersent the item.

Just my opionion

4:52 p.m. on April 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Thanks for giving your opinions, I suppose that I could have found a better word than misleading.  I know that some older US made camping equipment ends up being sold to overseas buyers, so I see room for confusion/misunderstanding on the part of potential buyers.  As an international traveler married to an international, I hope that this doesn't happen.  Over $400 for a very recently made Wing that originally retailed for $295 sets up some red flags for me.  I have an MSR Outfitterwing and I think it's a fantastic product, but not for $400 or more.

6:09 p.m. on April 17, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Not to long ago there was a Gander Mountain Dragonfly for sale on Ebay. I looked at the pictures. Was I suprised to see my pictures of the Blaze Solo. The discription was indeed for the Dragonfly. I notified the seller that those were the wrong pictures. But the two tents do look alike. He said those were as close as he could find on the internet. I let it pass.

7:20 p.m. on April 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Hikerbiker, you are correct that this wing was manufactured recently, but apparently is no longer being produced. Since it's no longer available for sale, it's on the road to being considered "rare".  I offer the example of 2 MSR Velo tents which recently sold on eBay for $818. and $872; considerably more than the Velo sold for new. A seller(eBay ID: M-O-S-S) had a Moss Outfitterwing listed for $899. It didn't sell, but I've seen many Moss Vistawings, Heptawings, and even Tentwings sell for upwards of $750. Go figure...

10:43 a.m. on April 18, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

I noticed one of the Velo auctions and could not believe the price.  Are these collectible?  For that kind of money you can buy a new Hilleberg and have some change left.

11:18 a.m. on April 18, 2011 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
37 forum posts

this one sold for 457.00 plus ship a lot of bux a 12ft hilleberg is only 120.00

3:40 p.m. on April 18, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

It is amazing how the tarps/batwing type shelters attain collector status so soon after they are out of production. I guess it could be they don't have very long production runs as well as there being a small number of collectors located in Japan that are willing to pay top $ (not to mention all the collectors here in the US).  They esp. love moss tents (camping stoves as well) but are into all the vintage american camping gear. The guy who had the MSR for sale also had a Dana Design Garuda Hat Tarp that went for $527 (I bid on that one myself, though lost). There were two or three ?'s from people in Japan. He also had a Walrus tarp trekker  with damage that went for $120.

11:25 p.m. on April 18, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

chenry, it all comes down to your personal perspective on the gear; there are those who might think that $316 is a lot to spend on an Optimus 22B when you can buy a new 2 burner Coleman white gas stove LINK for $34.88.

Think about the prices Optimus 199's have been commanding recently... up to $737 for a single burner stove.

8:21 a.m. on April 19, 2011 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
37 forum posts

i have a great perspective on old gear i purchased a new in sack tnf himalayen 47 a opt 22b for alot more than you quoted and a 199  plus i love my 50yr old 2 burner coleman

2:42 p.m. on April 19, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Exactly! I'm in your corner, and agree that you have a great perspective. Your appreciation of the 22B, 199, and 50 year old Coleman 2 burner isn't predicated on their being collectible "fluff", but rather that they work, and work extremely well at that! If you factor in the incredible design of the aforementioned stoves, the Himalayan 47, and Moss(or MSR) wings, there will be those of us who seek out and collect(Revere the Gear!) these icons whether or not anyone else considers them valuable or collectible. What I intended to convey regarding perspective is: those who don't share our disease(stove, tent, etc, fever) only see an old tent or an old stove, that isn't worth what was paid for it.

9:36 a.m. on April 20, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

If anybody wants my 199 for $737 drop me an email.  It is a whale of a stove but the prices are simply nuts.  On the other hand, I dream of scoring a 22B at a thrift store.

5:25 p.m. on April 20, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Hi Alan, I'm in the same boat as you, hoping to find an Optimus 22 at:  thrift store, yard sale, craigslist, landfill, trailspace classifieds...  An interesting side note on the $737 199: the "lucky" bidder(robert3483) won another 199 the next day(2-15-2011) for a measly $500. Regarding the collectibility of the MSR Velo, I became aware that Velo auction prices were on the rise 18 months ago, when one sold for $500+; until then, they had been in the $100-$250 range. As they don't show up on eBay very often, I'll have to wait to see if this "trend" continues. This might be an good opportunity to see what someone is willing to pay for my Walrus Velo, which is larger than its' MSR counterpart.

10:11 p.m. on April 20, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

I don't recall Walrus making a Velo.  I've never paid much attention to MSR tents on ebay, but they may be worth watching just for grins.

12:19 a.m. on April 21, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

1270925644_23729.jpg

1270925485_23727.jpg

Keep an eye out for this on eBay.
1270925342_23725.jpg

9:19 a.m. on April 21, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

Your collection never ceases to amaze me.

11:07 a.m. on April 21, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Nice Walrus Velo!  Thanks for sharing pics

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply