WTB Rectangular down bag (the widder the better)

3:48 p.m. on August 10, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

I'm getting really tired of mummy style sleeping bags.  There great for if you have to save weight, there great if you have to conserve heat, there great if you have a need to carry a bag stuffed bag the size of a grapefruit.  Their greatness ends there for me.  I just got back from a two week trip and was using a mummy bag.  I jotted down each time I woke up one night do to movement and discomfort do to the mummy style bag.  I stopped counting at 20.

I'm Looking for a rectangular down bag that will be good in the 30-50 deg range. Vintage is ok but I'm not looking for a collector piece or overpricing based on name brand.  I'm looking for a fair priced bag that I will put thru it's paces.  It needs to be in great shape and the newer the better, as in general,  materials and construction usually get better over the years.  I will however consider any offers.  If you looking to unload that clunky down bag that nobody in this day and age generally want's, let me know.  Please include all infor you have if possible, brand, model, weight, measurmets, zipper info.  I don't care about colour very much but dark is better than light.   Thanks all

4:56 p.m. on August 10, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I hear ' Ya, Brian ~~

I'm going through the same process.   I have at least  SIX mummy bags that HAVE to go (various temp ratings).

I sleep MUCH better in a rect or semi-rect.   Screw the weight-factor differential.   I'd rather get a great night's rest, than exalt in toting a few less ounces on the trail.   Another reason I think the UL crowd is suspect in their thinking.   Maybe they all sleep on their backs.   Good for them !

I had a few semi's, but former-wife wanted them when we split.   She's pretty smart, anyhow.

I DO USE a "Wiggy's"  'Lamilite'  synth-insulated overbag I got from Cabela's.  It's a semi-rect with a hood ... but, is HUGE and LONG, even though it is a "Regular" length.  Black, inside and out.    I can put a lot of clothes in it with me.   I sleep great in it, though.  With one of the bag-liners I have, I can be comfortable down to about 38-40  degrees (F).   I think this is the non-camo version of the military jobs.  Made in the good 'ole USA (Grand Junction, Colorado).

~r2~

5:40 p.m. on August 10, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Hey Robert,  I just got back form a two week journey and hooked up with a buddy along the way.  He said he was using a "Wiggy's".  I didn't check it out but I did notice that it compressed very small, esp. for a synthetic bag.  I did not notice if it was a mummy or rectangular bag as we each had our own tents, I just saw it compressed during tear down.  I, like you, have my range of cold weather mummy bags, mostly Maromt and Houlubar but find they are much to warm for use during this time of year.  It's does amaze me that people can sleep on their backs with all with arms and legs crushed against the body wraped in plastic to the point of not being able to move.  I am not one of them and in fact the complete opposite.  I move and roll all night.  I truly hate useing mummy bags and now only use them when I have to.  Even the bag I just used, which is wider at the bottom than all my other mummys, was just missurable.  Luckily the only bad thing or thing that went wrong was this bag, this will soon be rectified.

6:46 p.m. on August 10, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

I'm a definitely a side/belly sleeper and have always had rectangular bags but wanted something lighter.  Opted for an Alps Mountaineering Clearwater 20° WIDE.  I'm a little on the skinny side and had no problems rolling around in it. I slept in it just like I do on a regular bed. The hood opening is nice and wide and my wife rolled her extra clothes up in the hood to use as a pillow. 

They also make a 35° version but both are synthetic fill. The 20° wide is 3lb 11oz and the 35° is 3lb even and they come with a compression sack.

6:48 p.m. on August 10, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Hi, Brian ~~

I just pulled out the Wiggy's.   Its'  tag says, "OVERBAG".   It is shaped like a hybrid cross between a real wide mummy and a semi-rectangular.  Tapered.

Measures 24" across the foot-box ... and 36" across the shoulders.  That's plenty wide for me.   I have a chest-size of 43" (Men's Large jacket).   I was wrong about the length.  It is 72" long up to where your chin would be, but not including the wide-ish, insulated hood (with drawstring).

I have used it by itself (without a liner) down to about 30 degrees, but I had on a base and  (light) middle layer of clothing.

I'm thinking of putting this bag into more regular service, and investing in a little heavier (and lower temp-rated) bag liner.  I already have 2 silk liners and one 'CoolMax' liner for warmer weather conditions.

I gotta tell 'Ya -- this bag is truly 'bomber'.   I've had it for years ( 10? ), and it has seen all kinds of conditions.   I've kept it in the back of my VW Vanagon, and it has saved my butt quite a few times.   Also saved me money from not  having to check into a motel, when doing some of my 350-mile one-way drives from here in Maryland to my former home out near Montauk Point (Long Island, NY).

And, YES -- it does compress down pretty small.   The 'Lamilite' insulation transfers moisture exceedingly well.

I haven't checked the Cabela website lately.   I would imagine they still offer it, or something similar.   It  wasn't horribly expensive, but I can't recall the cost.   Whatever it was, I definitely have gotten my money's worth.

The Wiggy's website shows something like it (not exactly), called the "Nautilus with Hood Overbag".

*****   ( 5-Star recommend )

~r2~

9:32 p.m. on August 10, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Problem solved (maybe).  I just bought a marmot bag of off craigslist for $40.  I decided to to give simi-rectangular bags a chance as I don't think I can go wrong on this bag.  Marmont warranties there bags............ period.

marmot-rectangular-bag3.jpg

marmot-rectangular-bag2.jpg

marmot-rectangler-bag.jpg

11:40 p.m. on August 10, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,078 forum posts

Apeman, it the marmot doesn't work for you I've got a rectangular (not tapered) down bag you may be interested in. The bag will easily go to 30 degrees. The bag happens to be vintage (metal zipper) so probably a bit heavy by today's standards, but is solidly built and in good shape and warm enough for unexpectedly cool nights.  Let me know if you are interested.

I had a Wiggy's overbag some years ago.  The bag had a double zipper to zip into other Wiggy's bags.  By dumb luck the zipper matched to an REI bag I had at the time.  The Wiggy's bag was fine but a bit heavy for it's warmth rating.  I eventually sold both bags on ebay when I discovered how nice goose down is to sleep in.

11:59 p.m. on August 10, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

The measurements on the over bag are similar to my wide bag.  It's 36 chest, 84 long and about 24 in the foot area.

12:10 a.m. on August 11, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

@ alan: what bag do you have and how much?

3:03 p.m. on August 11, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,078 forum posts

pm sent

10:10 p.m. on October 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

@ alan :

Thanks for the bag. It will recieve a now life as my truck bag and will in fact get a work out this week end as my Dad, Mogh and I head out to our property in Eastern Washington. Thanks again.

10:18 p.m. on October 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,078 forum posts

Glad you like it.

September 30, 2014
Quick Reply