ed viesturs book

3:10 p.m. on September 16, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,291 forum posts

I just read Life and Death on the World's Most Dangerous Mountain. Interesting and well-written, a very good read. Viesturs must be tremendous in the mountains. We get that he's smarter, safer, stronger than most. I just wish it had not been so heavy-handedly underscored, and I didn't appreciate the plugs for Eddie Bauer.

6:46 p.m. on September 16, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

I've read this as well, and his other about conquering all of the 8000M peaks without oxygen.

He is trying to make a living like any other person, and the plugs probably got him extra cheddar.

8:22 p.m. on September 17, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Eddie Bauer is one of Viestur's sponsors, so it is to be expected that they would get some PR in his book.  Climbing at that level in those places is an expensive venture, so unless you are independently wealthy, it takes sponsors and mentioning them in his books is the least he can do for them.

9:53 p.m. on September 17, 2011 (EDT)
2,424 reviewer rep
1,291 forum posts

i don't mean to overemphasize the product placement.  It's a very good book, very much worth reading in my opinion.

I fully understand the economic realities.  Nonetheless, i would still feel disappointed to find a can of coca cola prominently displayed in a classic like "The Godfather."  most people would. 

This book conveys important messages - i won't ruin it by specifying.  i live by these principles when I'm in the relatively humble White Mountains and Adirondacks in the winter.  my fingers and toes are happy about that.  unfortunately, for me, the product placement in this book distracted from the message.  my apologies for being a little judgmental, but that's how it made me feel.   

5:48 a.m. on September 18, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

leadbelly2550 said:

..i live by these principles when I'm in the relatively humble White Mountains and Adirondacks in the winter.  my fingers and toes are happy about that...

And a good thing you ascribe to Viestur's credo; There is nothing too humble about the Whites: more than a few of America's finest climbers cut their teeth out there.  The Whites are as good a proving ground as any when they bluster.

Ed

11:28 a.m. on September 18, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

I'm a humble "whiter" myself, and I agree Ed, as leadbelly is I'm sure fully aware, the Whites can get pretty nasty and have some awesome hiking and climbing.

Training in the Whites can prepare you for anywhere on Earth for mountaineering.

Leadbelly - another key thing in my mind is the validity of the product plug. I happen to use and really like the newish First Ascent line by EB, and because it is really high quality stuff at decent prices, I have no problem with the plug because of it.

10:20 p.m. on September 18, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

"I fully understand the economic realities.  Nonetheless, i would still feel disappointed to find a can of coca cola prominently displayed in a classic like "The Godfather."  most people would."

You'd never make it in Hollywood these days or in the music biz. Product placement is an almost essential part of tv and filmmaking to cut down costs (unless you are James Cameron and then people  will throw money at you by the carload).

Bands going out on tour also look for sponsors to pick up touring costs. Sounds crass, but that's the way the biz works these days.

8:20 p.m. on September 19, 2011 (EDT)
2,424 reviewer rep
1,291 forum posts

if we are supposed to judge meaningful works of nonfiction by the current state of television, the music industry, and mass appeal film-making, i respectfully suggest we're setting the bar just a little low.  Maybe you enjoy 'American Idol' and 'The Voice' more than i. 

i readily concede that i am ill-suited for working in a mass media business, except for my knowledge and experience defending First Amendment rights. 

11:40 p.m. on October 8, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,282 forum posts

Sponsorships for the arts, science, exploration, and just about anything else have existed at least since the ancient Greeks. Every famous artist has had one or more "patrons", as have all the polar explorers and major climbing expeditions. In some cases, the patron went on the expedition. One of the early K2 expeditions that Viesturs describes was largely financed by an amateur climber who was way in over his head, and ended up dying in a tent alone, high on the mountain. This incident is described at greater length in the book Last Man On The Mountain. On the Cordillera Blanca Environmental Expedition 2011, we had several sponsors and a couple of grants (and we are still seeking funds to complete the science data reduction- you can help by going to the American Alpine Club website and clicking on "Cordillera Blanca" at the bottom of the home page). It always has been difficult to do major exploration without patrons and sponsorship. There is a payback, though. In the case of our CBEE, it will be a better understanding of global climate change. Sponsors do expect some publicity for their support, and in some cases, there is a tax break or some valuable information about product performance.

By the way, there are a large number of product placements in The Godfather. They aren't hard to spot.

7:59 a.m. on October 9, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

leadbelly2550 said:

....  for me, the product placement in this book distracted from the message.  my apologies for being a little judgmental, but that's how it made me feel.   

Don't apologize.

You seem like you're trying to be 'politically correct'.   Screw that.

I -- for one -- appreciate brutal honesty.   State your attitudes and your convictions;  stand behind them ... unless, you come to realize your judgments may be in error.

You will be respected.

~ r2 ~

2:49 p.m. on October 11, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

political correctness has gotten out of hand in most of the world, but especially in the USA. For example, you can't say Merry Xmas in most schools because someone who doesn't celebrate christmas will be offended...but you can't say happy holidays because you will offend someone who recognizes xmas and thinks you aren't taking into account their views.

PC is useful at times though, in that it helps us keep those convictions and attitudes in check when we may not otherwise know that they are wrong. Using a PC direction to our views challenges us to think "hey, even though I think i'm right, I might not be" and it prevents many bad attitudes that are blatantly wrong from rearing their ugly faces.

so the OP's original judgement of the use of sponsors may be correct in one way, but as Bill points out, sponsors are extremely useful and frequently necessary for these things. Since the OP recognized that he was possibly being judgmental, he left his mind open to the opinions and experiences of others - he wanted to take into account their knowledge and experience.

I respect that.

4:02 a.m. on October 12, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

iClimb said:

..PC is useful at times though, in that it helps us keep those convictions and attitudes in check...

PC is like speed limit signs: those who it is most intended to moderate are those least likely to heed such directives.

Ed

7:49 a.m. on October 12, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

whomeworry said:

PC is like speed limit signs: those who it is most intended to moderate are those least likely to heed such directives.

Ed

My last speeding ticket was over 20 years ago.

I admit to being terrible at 'political correctness'.   Why shouldn't I be ?

"Group Hugs" and " Kumbabya Parties" are not my thing.

~ r2 ~

2:32 p.m. on January 4, 2012 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
49 forum posts

i hate everything" political " and most of what the masses believe is "correct" but i have read a few of viesturs books and im entertained by them.

7:16 p.m. on January 4, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,505 forum posts

I am not offended by the product placement. If it all said North Face, I think we would hardly notice it. But Eddie Bauer is trying to get back in the business it first set out in. AND Ed is one of its main spokesmen. AND the sponsorship he has from EB likely required him to place the product. If Godfather were made today, you would see all kinds of cigar placement, car placement shoe plcaement....and the viewers would not care. Most wouldn't even notice. I do understand that it may make the wilderness seem too close to the burbs, in a way. And you have very right to feel put off by it and even offended and the fact many of us feel the opposite does not invalidate that. We can agree to disagree. But what does seem universal here in this thread is a healthy respect for Ed and his contributions to mountaineering.

7:31 a.m. on January 5, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
813 reviewer rep
511 forum posts

Ed is still a badass, period, Eddie Bauer or not. I wish I had a sponsor!

8:35 p.m. on January 6, 2012 (EST)
2,424 reviewer rep
1,291 forum posts

it was a good book regardless.  for an alternative, though, try 'Where the Mountain Casts its Shadow" by Maria Coffey.  or "Touching the Void" by Joe Simpson.  

:) 

August 27, 2014
Quick Reply