Why do you choose to climb?

12:41 p.m. on December 12, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hi, my name's Adam Little, a third year student at Manchester Metropolitan University in Cheshire, UK, studying Outdoor Studies BSc. I'm conducting research for a third year project into the potential defferences between why men and women choose to climb. The questionnaire is 8 questions long and will take about 5 to 10 minutes, if that. You don't have to answer the questionnaire whatsoever but any results gathered are completely ANONYMOUS. Any comments, queries or suggestions, please feel free to contact me at 10291871@stu.mmu.ac.uk. Any feedback, positive and negative, is welcomed. Thank you for your time!

Simply click on the link below and follow the instructions:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/K377NGV

4:42 p.m. on December 12, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,247 reviewer rep
610 forum posts

5 to 10? More like 1 to 2 minutes. Just completed the survey, hope that helps. Good luck with your studies!

4:52 p.m. on December 12, 2012 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,486 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Done, good luck with the project

7:17 p.m. on December 14, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

Done. If you can share a summary of research with the group, it would be great. thank you!

Wish you the very best!

9:26 p.m. on January 28, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I just got accepted by NOLS after sending an application and  $65 fee, for Pacific Northwest mountaineering 30 days in the Cascades, but I'm still debating if it's worth it, I had to work 6 months just to save enough money to go to this 30 day courses, it's about $5000 not including gear and traveling fees , I wonder how does the NOLS mountaineering course compare with the AAI course?

6:23 a.m. on January 29, 2013 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

5600h[p said:

I just got accepted by NOLS after sending an application and  $65 fee, for Pacific Northwest mountaineering 30 days in the Cascades, but I'm still debating if it's worth it, I had to work 6 months just to save enough money to go to this 30 day courses, it's about $5000 not including gear and traveling fees , I wonder how does the NOLS mountaineering course compare with the AAI course?

If you are truly getting 30 days of course training, versus a summer camp in snow with a few days of clinics thrown in, then it is quite the bargain.  Technical course instruction of most any kind runs between $200 - $500/ day.  Also keep in mind NOLS has a different primary mission than AAI, so you are comparing apples to oranges.

Ed

7:20 a.m. on January 30, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

whomeworry said:

5600h[p said:

If you are truly getting 30 days of course training, versus a summer camp in snow with a few days of clinics thrown in, then it is quite the bargain.  Technical course instruction of most any kind runs between $200 - $500/ day.  Also keep in mind NOLS has a different primary mission than AAI, so you are comparing apples to oranges.

Ed

Thanks for replying, Ed,  I think that's my primary concern , which is not getting enough technical training , like you said , just a summer camp with a few days of clinics thrown in.   I think if I can get 15 days of intensive technical  training out of this 29 day course, then it'll be totally worth it...... that being said I think I'll find out this summer because I have just went through with mailing all the paperwork (health exam, insurance...etc) and paid my $500 deposit.    So far I've done a ton of hiking with friends but very little mountaineering experience , so a beginner in mountaineering, which is suitable for their course , according to the forum posts I've read.  I just wish it's cheaper, cause it's a lot of money for me and I won't have the money to learn about other aspects of mountaineering after the course , like rock climbing... and I guess that everyone's concern, limited resources (time, money), too many things to learn. 

September 30, 2014
Quick Reply