Video: Falling down a mountain(link to vid is further down in thread)..

6:55 p.m. on March 12, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

This is pretty intense. 

7:46 p.m. on March 12, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts
Re: Video: Falling down a mountain...

Im glad he was ok, at least he seemed to be. There were some pretty knarly rocks on both sides. He wasnt able to self arrest, but he controlled his position pretty well. Rick, you always find the coolest stuff online.

8:23 p.m. on March 12, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I am living vicariously through other's adventures(and apparently mishaps) @ the moment. ;)

8:26 p.m. on March 12, 2013 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Rock fall was one of the principle reasons I drastically reduced my rock climbing activities.  I even remember the moment when I decided the time had come.  I had already lot three associates to climbing accidents, albeit only one was rock climbing related.  I was second guessing my progression into increasingly more radical adventures and the higher amount of objective risk these ventures imposed.  On that day I was climbing in Idlewild.  Early in the climb I heard what I took to be the cliff swallows buzzing me.  These birds are frequently encountered, and like to dive past climbers while bug hunting.  But the sounds I heard were different.  I looked down at my second to ask,: what was that?  He was smeared flush to the cliff face, and muttered “rock fall we’re being bombed!”.  The rocks were speeding by so fast and spinning so quickly they sounded like ricocheting bullets.  Very disconcerting.  Later that day a woman out climbing with her boy friend suffered a fatal accident when a ledge rock broke loose, and nearly sheared her arm off.  When I got back down the Devil’s Slide trail later that day and learned what all the EMS commotion in the parking lot was about, I went through an instantaneous transformation.  Climbing became a necessary evil to obtain an objective, and no longer a means to it own ends.  Nowadays it is always the safest route for me, albeit sometimes safe seems a poor fitting description.  Alas it is impossible to fully domesticate the adenaline junkie

Ed

9:22 a.m. on March 13, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

"I don't often cringe and gasp repeatedly in horror, but when I do, I watch this video"

10:48 a.m. on March 13, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

I saw this video on the news in Butte last weekend, I wish I knew the details.

11:25 a.m. on March 13, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,282 forum posts

Listen to whomeworry.  This is why I gave up snow and ice climbing a long time ago.

12:12 p.m. on March 13, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
723 reviewer rep
945 forum posts

Sage, it was a British climber on Snowdon, February 24. Apparently, one of his party dislodged a chunk of ice that narrowly missed him, but caused him to lose his balance. He fell 100 feet, broke one ankle and suffered other, minor injuries.

6:26 p.m. on March 13, 2013 (EDT)
219 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

The video is blocked but is this the video that was on the front page of rock and ice website.

7:17 p.m. on March 13, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Ugghhh, well there wasn't a copyright claim on it when I posted it. 

Gavin, to answer your question: yes it was. 

Oh well, what can ya do?

7:22 p.m. on March 13, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

This is the same video as the one I posted directly from youtube:

http://www.rockandice.com/video-gallery/100-foot-solo-ice-fall

11:23 p.m. on March 14, 2013 (EDT)
219 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Thanks rick, After watching this video I'm in awe that he didn't at least attempt to self arrest.

8:35 a.m. on March 15, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
827 reviewer rep
586 forum posts

Looks like he loses one or both of his axes between .07 or .09 seconds on the video.

9:12 a.m. on March 15, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,333 reviewer rep
628 forum posts

I saw that too Rob, and it's even worse cause you can see the leash on the ax, which isn't on his wrist!

11:05 a.m. on March 15, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

At the beginning, in the frames around 0:03, it appears both leashes are on his wrists, and It is possible we just don't see the axes much later on as they would tend to run out behind. But by 0:25 it is definite that he had lost at least  the right one.

I think he may have tried to arrest between 0:14 and 0:19. Of course he was moving far too  fast at that point. 

2:19 p.m. on March 15, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

http://vimeo.com/6581009

Try holding your breath while you're watching from about 1:45 to about 6:05.

6:18 p.m. on March 16, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

talk about being scared crapless! apparently the guy had an avalanche beacon. that thing saved his life.

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply