One unbelievably lucky ice climber

5:19 p.m. on April 9, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts
6:57 p.m. on April 9, 2013 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

This video was posted last July by Rick.

Ed

11:13 p.m. on April 9, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

That's ok I wasn't here last July to see Rick post it. If that had been me I would have made a new diamond in my shorts.

2:45 p.m. on April 10, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

Thats why I posted it as I figured some would see it again or for the first time.

6:10 p.m. on April 10, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

When I was younger i did some of that sort of climbing. but never where it was wet. Me and wet is about like a cat and wet.. In winter.

Summer time is another matter. Out riding my MC bikes here is a trial in wet. They say in NH that if you don't ride in the rain, you just don't ride.

So when it's summer and tourist riders are putting rain gear on, I am in the act of taking as much clothing off as I can....

That way I don't have to dry wet clothes. I will ride shirtless in the rain so long as it's warm. I will ride at what ever speed it takes to not get wet too.

My bike has a good wind screen and other air deflectors that create a big bubble around me so long as I am free to go.

It's rural here, and I know roads I can ride and see more bears or moose maybe than I will see cars.

That wet ice was a bad move... That guy got really lucky. He didn't seem to have any gear or food either, and if he fell and lived he would have suffered hard. 

7:45 a.m. on April 23, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Great to see your post.

Climbing on a hard rock or a freezing ice is one of my favorite hobbies. Reaching the top generate a wonderful feeling that we conquered something great. I started with an ice climbing course from Mountain Skills Academy, Alberta and it really changed my life. I got some good companions who were with me in all climbs. It was a week long course offering a detailed information and training about various aspects in ice climbing. Felt really useful! Have anyone of you attended such courses? please share your experiences.

6:32 p.m. on April 23, 2013 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Kedogenous Stammel said:

..Reaching the top generate a wonderful feeling that we conquered something great. I started with an ice climbing course from Mountain Skills Academy.. ..Have anyone of you attended such courses? please share your experiences.

Yea, formal instruction from a reputable source is always a good thing.

But on the notion of conquering something great;  The only conquests that should be considered is the one occurring from within, and perhaps the one that most directly equates to coming home in one piece and with all digits.  If you take the attitude that you are conquering anything, regarding nature, you may win some battles but surely will lose the war.  You make it to your destination by the grace of nature; to think otherwise is delusional.

Ed

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply