Ti Rap Rings

4:57 p.m. on December 26, 2001 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

Saw some Ti Rap rings in a catalog for $5.95. They're expensive - onlt I normally use two aluminum rings. [ so two AL rings vs one Ti ring]I suppose its insane to trust ones life to a single Rap ring even if its Titanium, or can I save some weight - since I normally carry 6-8 rings on long clibms? Would you rap off a single Titanium Rap ring?
Jim

5:17 p.m. on December 26, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Are you kidding?

Quote:

Saw some Ti Rap rings in a catalog for $5.95. They're expensive - onlt I normally use two aluminum rings. [ so two AL rings vs one Ti ring]I suppose its insane to trust ones life to a single Rap ring even if its Titanium, or can I save some weight - since I normally carry 6-8 rings on long clibms? Would you rap off a single Titanium Rap ring?
Jim

Are you kidding? How much do 10 aluminum rap rings weigh? About 1 biner. Get a grip.

"I suppose its insane to trust ones life to a single Rap ring" watch who you're calling insane, I thought you safety psycho's used steel rap rings.

6:24 p.m. on December 26, 2001 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
Rapid links...

Quote:

Quote:

Jim

A fatty, yep. Bounce test first though.

Quote:

Are you kidding? How much do 10 aluminum rap rings weigh? About 1 biner. Get a grip.

Whatever...I carry as many as a dozen rapid links for some adventures. Can always (and have) use biners too.

Quote:

"I suppose its insane to trust ones life to a single Rap ring" watch who you're calling insane, I thought you safety psycho's used steel rap rings.

I've been using rapide's, rapid links, quick links, callemwhatyouwill. I have a strong dislike for the aluminum models as a dirty rope pulled through a couple of times renders them purty scary. And...their breakin' strength is a tad low margin of safety wise for me...

A friend pulled two 1/4" rapid links to failure. Both broke north of 6200 lbs and with 20 lbs of each other.

I use 5/16" mostly. Can usually pick them up for a buck per. No reason to use spendy Ti. Plenty strong for rappin' and easy to replace once worn out. They fit a fat or skinny rope.

Brian in SLC

11:37 a.m. on December 30, 2001 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts
Thanks - needed that...

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Would you rap off a single Titanium Rap ring?
Jim

A fatty, yep. Bounce test first though.

Where do I order them from? I've bought some milled aluminum rings (formerly Dolt rings) that were about 1/2" wide, cylindrical on the outside and milled nicely rounded inside for a rope to flow over - is this what you are reffering to?

Quote:

Quote:

"SLAP - slap..." Err thanks man - I needed that. (;->) No really - one gets carried away. I just ordered all new sewn spectra slings and replacd all of my old biners with Neutrinos. When I saw "Titanium Rap rings" I just got all turned on... (:->) sorry...

Quote:

I have a strong dislike for the aluminum models as a dirty rope pulled through a couple of times renders them purty scary

Same here - thats why I generally use two - a recycled one and a new one.

Quote:

I use 5/16" mostly. Can usually pick them up for a buck per

Where?

Thanks again both of you guys.
Jim S

4:20 p.m. on December 30, 2001 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
Industrial Supply...

Quote:

Where do I order them from? I've bought some milled aluminum rings (formerly Dolt rings) that were about 1/2" wide, cylindrical on the outside and milled nicely rounded inside for a rope to flow over - is this what you are reffering to?

USHBA sells the Ti ones. Available at Advanced Basecamp. Not worth the cost, IMO.

Quote:

"SLAP - slap..." Err thanks man - I needed that. (;->) No really - one gets carried away. I just ordered all new sewn spectra slings and replacd all of my old biners with Neutrinos. When I saw "Titanium Rap rings" I just got all turned on... (:->) sorry...

No need. Ti is sexy...

Quote:

Quote:

I use 5/16" mostly. Can usually pick them up for a buck per

Where?

I get mine from Industrial Supply type stores. You might try web based supply places and search under chain or rapid link or the like. I usually burn thru a gob of these dudes in a season of climbing. I also use individual chain links too. Sometimes, you can talk the young stud at the hardware store into cuttin' you individual links. Or, find a cheapy 24" bolt cutter and do yourself. I buy most of my chain at a discount warehouse by the pound. 3/8" chain links inspire confidence! No problemo pullin' most any size rope smaller than 11mm thru. Nice thing about the rapid links, though, is you can thread them onto existing sling.

Brian in SLC

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply